Regular authentication fail

HCanevet
HCanevet Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hello everybody,

Before beginning : I failed asking a question because of a 37FF74E2 error, and I was asked to contact my system administrator. Who is my system administrator by TeamViewer ?

I have a problem to authenticate to control another machine. I shall develop that once I know I do not get a 37FF74E2 error again.

(Oh I could edit ! Well, too late ...)

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• HCanevet

Sorry I do not find the link to edit my first message, so I am going to ask my question here.

From Windows 10 I tried to control a Vista machine, with "no control access", that worked well until now.

I have a dialog box to seize the password, it appears a fraction of a second, just enough for I know it exists, but I can seize nothing in it, and particularly no password. So, of course the authentication fails.

I try again, same thing.

So, of course, I eventually get a message that tells the authentication is rejected because of several fails.

It is not better with user acceptance, as the user does not see where to click.

I am proposed to try again after half an hour, but with no clue allowing to think that it will not go on exactly the same.

What can I do ?

--

In the links down the page I see a thread where it is proposed to uninstalled the "Smart Bytes" program. But I presume this does not do it on a pair of machines where TeamViewer already has functionned properly ?

• HCanevet

Hello,

Today, after one more fail, half an hour later my authentication eventually successed, as the window to seize a password stayed visible on the screen.

One problem remains : I have no idea how that happened, nor whether the problem can arise again. So, if if arises again, I do not know what to do.

This is why I do not mark this answer as a solution.

• HCanevet

It seems I have to be able to manage the visibility of the window. It is too soon to connect now, I shall take note of the title of the window.

The most interesting would be to find what application hides it, that is not obvious.

I recently installed **Third Party Product**, that asks connection to Internet even when I do not use it. But in fact that makes a certain time I made my last connection with TeamViewer. So, there can be other suspects that I forgot.

• HCanevet

I wrote a program to detect windows with the two possible titles, the localized versions of "TeamViewer Authentication" and "Connection impossible".
    I could not use FindWindow, as it can happen that two windows have the same title, in which case FindWindow finds none. So I use EnumWindows, and when a window is found with one of the two accepted titles, I display the hWnd, the visibility, the title.
    If the visibility is hidden, I change it to visible, and display the updated information.
    I did not have to use it yet, as restarting the Windows system successed to get the TeamViewer Authentication work, while it did not the first time.
    The next step will be to record that information to a file, and to add the list of processes and the list of windows, to be able to compare the list when the authentication works, and the one when it does not.
    I suspect that a recently installed network communication application wants to hide one of its windows based on its class, and maybe it has the same class as the TeamViewer Authentication window.
    Usually that program is uninstalled after the interview based on it, but this time the interviewer seems to have difficulties to use that software and to respect a time planning.
    As I shall not have much time yet to grant him, it is possible that I eventually uninstall the software and that it solves the problem before I can have a confirmation of what I suspect.

• HCanevet

@HCanevet wrote:

Sorry I do not find the link to edit my first message, so I am going to ask my question here.

From Windows 10 I tried to control a Vista machine, with "no control access", that worked well until now.

I have a dialog box to seize the password, it appears a fraction of a second, just enough for I know it exists, but I can seize nothing in it, and particularly no password. So, of course the authentication fails.

I try again, same thing.

So, of course, I eventually get a message that tells the authentication is rejected because of several fails.

It is not better with user acceptance, as the user does not see where to click.

I am proposed to try again after half an hour, but with no clue allowing to think that it will not go on exactly the same.

What can I do ?

--

In the links down the page I see a thread where it is proposed to uninstalled the "Smart Bytes" program. But I presume this does not do it on a pair of machines where TeamViewer already has functionned properly ?

I wrote a program to detect windows with the two possible titles, the localized versions of "TeamViewer Authentication" and "Connection impossible".
    I could not use FindWindow, as it can happen that two windows have the same title, in which case FindWindow finds none. So I use EnumWindows, and when a window is found with one of the two accepted titles, I display the hWnd, the visibility, the title.
    If the visibility is hidden, I change it to visible, and display the updated information.
    I did not have to use it yet, as restarting the Windows system successed to get the TeamViewer Authentication work, while it did not the first time.
    The next step will be to record that information to a file, and to add the list of processes and the list of windows, to be able to compare the list when the authentication works, and the one when it does not.
    I suspect that a recently installed network communication application wants to hide one of its windows based on its class, and maybe it has the same class as the TeamViewer Authentication window.
    Usually that program is uninstalled after the interview based on it, but this time the interviewer seems to have difficulties to use that software and to respect a time planning (the interview was postpone several times).
    As I shall not have much time yet to grant him, it is possible that I eventually uninstall the software and that it solves the problem before I can have a confirmation of what I suspect.

(sorry if I have a doublon : I did not find this text any more, so I published it again.)

• HCanevet

(accepted solution waiting for moderation approval)

• 3ICE
    3ICE Posts: 15

I too have run into this whenever I tried copy-pasting anything in this here text box. Unfortunately I wrote a very long post in Word and now cannot post it because of exception 37FF74E2. whenever I try to do so.

p.s.: What do you think the word "seize" means?

• HCanevet

Well there is no problem : from Word you can save your text (otherwise you have a system problem on your machine and have to ask a question in a forum dedicated to the operating system -and probably use another machine to do so).

So, once you are able to ask a question, as you did here, it means you are properly authenticated, then you can go back to your thread and paste the text you saved from Word, to post it.

I do not know what to do with this thread : I had an "accepted answer waiting for moderation approval" since July, and in December somebody who asks me what seizing means.

• 3ICE

How many of my threads can you see? They're all shadowbanned I think. "Not visible to the public blah blah."

The title of this thread says authentication fail. — I say censorship success.

The problem with copy/paste is that I've allowed my 1MB word document to become so long, so detailed, that it is now impossible to post. Every time I try; it fails.

Only three-sentence blurbs are allowed here. As soon as I post an essay-length, writeup it fails with various complaints, not just Exception ID: 37FF74E2

My least favorite three are:

1. Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
      (There is NOTHING highlighted!)
    2. There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes.
      (Yeah, right it won't work then, either.)
    3. Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.
      (Thanks, I guess?)
      At this point I don't even care if you **bleep** ALL my formatting, just post it!)
      I even tried shift+ctrl+v for plain copy-paste and it still refuses to accept my complaint.

I can only reply, not post.

AND: If I try to reply my entire post's draft in here, it gets rejected/refused/deleted/banned/whatever.

Sincerely,
    3ICE

Edit: The reason I ask about "seize" is because I think you're using it wrong. But it could be some form of advanced meaning of the word (I'm not a native speaker) so I want to learn first and foremost, or give benefit of the doubt second most importantly, and only correct third, or as a last resort.

• HCanevet

Well yes, I feel "try again later" is somewhat hypocritical, as it only means "something went wrong" with no further precision.Try again later is a guess that what went wrong can have to do with the network or the server and can be corrected later, but display that if your message has some validation problems appears deceptive.

What is the length of your message exactly ? And the length of the title ?

That being said, if the answer to these two questions brings no progress, I am afraid you will have to wait for an administrator or moderator to answer, they can help you to find what in your message does not go through.

I guess there must be a way for somebody not authorized to create a new thread to contact the moderators, although I did not find it in the menu, and it may appear difficult to distinguish from support, which is not provided for a free account.

• 3ICE

Yeah there is no way for us plebs to contact any staff directly. The official path is:

1. User: write a Post
    2. Volunteer moderator clicks Escalate.
    3. Support staff clicks Escalate
    4. actual Employee: clicks Delete
    5. R.I.P. (Sorry, I'm salty after two days of trying and failing to post my thread...)

Here's the info you requested:

• Title: 79 chars
    • Message body: 9857 chars
    • w/ Formatting included: 13239 chars

Yes, I have already tried posting the version without formatting to no avail. Same mysterious failure.

I cannot post anything I try. Always "There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes."

Edit: Hey, I can edit! This is what I'm trying to post in a new thread btw:

Edit2: nvm as soon as I pasted that in here, my post was rejected.

• HCanevet

Oh, you mean that when you inserted your text while editing your last message, it was rejected ?

Well then, the best to do is to insert half of your message, then the other half, and see which one is rejected.

After you did that, insert half of the rejected half, and then the other half of it, and so on, until you find what is the "contentious" word. You have been filtered by automatic censorship, and maybe there is another way to say what you mean, once you know what word you must avoid.

• 3ICE

Binary search + Process of elimination, clever I like it.

No matter how stupid the system, smart users can always work around it :)

The banned phrase is <support@teamviewer.com>

Or more accurately: "To: <support@teamviewer.com>" 

Edit: And the character limit is 2300. 

Edit: My trials are not over yet. The post was successfully made but is shadowbanned. It does not show up while I'm logged out. So only I can see it. (And moderators, if they even exist. No proof of their presence as of yet.)

I see now it is marked as spam.

Marked as spam. If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report.

Moderator?

Moderator notified.

"how about this version? Even more self-censorship. Zero URLs or IDs. Absolutely nothing spammy now"
  • HCanevet
    Well, You discovered that putting the mail of the support in a post was a problem, nevertheless you could put it in another one. Oh, do you say this one is marked as spam ? Perhaps all this is linked.
  • Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi @3ICE 

Thanks for your posts and for the Moderator notification. 

I checked your post in the Spam Quaratine.

1. I guess the system thinks that your post is way too long. 
    2. Please refrain from posting ANY personal information like ticket IDs, first and last names from our employees due to privacy, etc.
    3. Please do not copy paste from any external source (e.g. Word, Mail Editor,...) since the system may not deal with the formatting and gives an error message afterwards. 

Maybe you can try and post your question again in the right thread and without copy/pasting all the entire emails? 

It has nothing to do with posting our support email address - which by the way does not exist anymore.

Let me know, if I can help you any further. Wish you a nice day. 

All the best,
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• HCanevet

Hello,

Sure the formatting in Word is not the same as on web.

I presume that if one fears to loose one's text in case of authentication problem, a good place to save it can be in notepad. In case of need to format the text, you then have to redo it after authentication, naturally. But avoiding to type the text again can be a pleasant advantage.

• 3ICE

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. After I heavily used all tools of self-censorship available to me on my original post; (zero URLs, zero numbers that could be mistakenly parsed as phone numbers or teamviewer IDs). My third attempt was finally manually approved by a moderator recently (probably it was you) and therefore it is ultimately visible to all users — not marked as spam anymore. Hooray!

It is sadly merged into a huge thread, but that's okay as long as it's somewhere I'm happy. Even if it's on page 92 :)

I failed to remove the full name a customer support agent and even it was mod edited out. Thanks for catching that as well!

***/t5/General-Questions/TeamViewer-thinks-I-m-using-the-software-commercially/m-p/79086#M35345

Unfortunately, posting a basic link to another thread is considered spam here :( So I had to re-submit my answer with the link also censored.) This is a shame. Please whitelist your own community domain, teamviewer so we can link other posts without triggering the infamous "

This reply was marked as spam and has been removed. If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report.

" .

Much appreciated,
    3ICE

• 3ICE

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. After I heavily used all tools of self-censorship available to me on my original post; (zero URLs, zero numbers that could be mistakenly parsed as phone numbers or teamviewer IDs). My third attempt was finally manually approved by a moderator recently (probably it was you) and therefore it is ultimately visible to all users — not marked as spam anymore. Hooray!

It is sadly merged into a huge thread, but that's okay as long as it's somewhere I'm happy. Even if it's on page 92 :)

I failed to remove the full name a customer support agent and even it was mod edited out. Thanks for catching that as well!

***/t5/General-Questions/TeamViewer-thinks-I-m-using-the-software-commercially/m-p/79086#M35345

Unfortunately, posting a basic link to another thread is considered spam here :( So I had to re-submit my answer with the link also censored.) This is a shame. Please whitelist your own community domain, teamviewer so we can link other posts without triggering the infamous "

This reply was marked as spam and has been removed. If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report.

" .

Much appreciated,
    3ICE

• 3ICE

test

• 3ICE

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. After I heavily used all tools of self-censorship available to me on my original post; (zero URLs, zero numbers that could be mistakenly parsed as phone numbers or teamviewer IDs). My third, fourth, fifth attempt was finally manually approved by a moderator recently (probably it was you) and therefore it is ultimately visible to all users — not marked as spam anymore. Hooray!

Unfortunately, posting a basic link to another thread is considered spam here :( So I had to re-submit my answer with the link also censored.) This is a shame. Please whitelist your own community domain, teamviewer so we can link other posts without triggering the infamous: "marked as spam and has been removed. If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report."

Much appreciated,
    3ICE

p.s.: The bug report part of my above linked mentioned post, wherein the form only shows the word "Error" without telling us what's wrong, should be seen by a web developer here at the TV company. My feedback? It should warn users not to include:

• links
    • numbers
    • html formatting
    • email addresses
    • email headers
    • etc

And what the character limit is. (2300 or so as per my testing)

Instead of displaying a plain word: "Error" (with no details given)

p.p.s.: Why am I so heavily censored!? This reply with no questionable content shows: "Your post will appear as soon as it is approved."

p.p.p.s.: And when I clicked on it to check its status, I already see it's in the rejected pile. I've got No posts waiting for approval. Only rejected posts. No human is THIS fast at rejecting a message. Am I sitlisted or something? Duck!

• 3ICE

Please approve my post above. ^^

Top Edit: I'd hate to be a bother for the moderator team each time I try to post something. Having to petition for my content to be manually approved is a pain. Also hurts my spirit to be permanently stuck on the naughty list like this. I'm a good boy! No need to censor me. I follow the rules.
    Edit: I'm used to editing wikipedia where — after becoming an autoconfirmed user — my changes started to show up immediately after being made. Even if I log out, they're still there, so no shadowban. Here on TV community the only thing that reliably happens instantly after my posts are made/edited is the disappearance of all of my content right after being posted. And automatically rejected. What are TeamViewer so afraid of? Words?
    Edit: What is the point when my content stops being censored? I've unlocked Essayist, Messenger, Appreciator, 2 Logins badges, and have even gotten Kudos on my moderator-approved posts. What is the point beyond where it stops being so painfully difficult to post stuff?

• 3ICE
    1. "Your post will appear as soon as it is approved."
    2. Click to view the status of your post.
    3. My Items Awaiting Approval: No posts to display.
    4. My Rejected Items: 9 items found:

Instantly got rejected as soon as I edited a typo.

• Regular authentication fail (General Questions) Please approve my post above. ^^ Top Edit: I'd hate to be a bother for the moderator team each tim...
    • [...]