TeamViewer 14 assignts Host with empty Password Field

Naith
Naith Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi

With the new assignmet method described on Mass deployment improvements i do can deploy TeamViewer Host in our Company and get all Computers assigned on my Cmputer & Contacts List but they were all with empty Password field. 

With the old version until 13.1 it's worked just fine.

TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken YOUR TOKEN -datafile "C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json"

So how can i fix this? I would like to avoid type Passwords for hours. ;)

Tagged:

Comments

• Giovanni
    Giovanni Posts: 49 [Former Staff]

Dear @Naith,

thank you for your message

Regarding exporting the password with the "TeamViewer_Settings.reg" via the MSI with the new method please do the following:

- On a previously installed TeamViewer client go to Extras->Options->Advanced and click on "Export" next to the option "Export options to a *reg file", then save the file with mandatory name "TeamViewer_Settings.reg"
    - DE-select all the voices under "Sections to export" (if you don't want to export them) and select only "Export personal password" and in the 2 fields under write the personal password that you want to be setup and select Export.
    - Save the ""TeamViewer_Settings.reg" in the same folder where the MSI installation is and during the deployment/installation process it will be imported automatically if you follow this guide: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Mass-deployment-improvements/ta-p/39639 and use the command IMPORTREGFILE=1 in the deployment script.

Take care,

Giovanni.

Giovanni
    Senior Enterprise Solutions Engineer

• Naith
    Hi Giovanni and thank you for your quick respond.
    I did all this as it's allready described in the Mass deployment improvements but as i said it doesn't work. The Password is on the Host itself but my Computer & Contacts list has gets an entry without the Password
  • Giovanni

Hi @Naith,

thank you for your reply.

This is expected: the procedure that I described allows you to push a personal password on the remote machines, then if you want to connect to them you will have to manually enter that password at the first connection.

If you don't want to always enter the password you can use the Easy Access parameter (also explained in the same community article) to access those manchines with just a click.

Take care,

Giovanni.

Giovanni

• Naith

Hmm, OK but that's strange.
    Why did it work and still does work with TeamViewer_Assignment.exe on TeamViewer 13? 
    And it would still work on TeamViewer 14 if your new .msi package wouldn't delete the AssignmentData.json file right after the deployment.
    I have about 200 Computers in my List all with the same Password for unattended Access for me and 2 others but when i deploy TeamViewer 14 now i and those two other persons had to retype the password 200 times? Easy Access would be Ok but if i'm not mistaken it's only gonne work for one Person?

• Giovanni

Hi @Naith,

this is expected too: the old MSI worked with the .json files and with the Host + Wrapper instalaltion. This new method does not work anymore like this, it installs only the Host because in that same package is contained also the tool for the assingment.

So when you install the new MSI you will have to type the password in, I am still convinced that using the Easy Access will help you, take a look at the article and give it a try, I am sure you will like this functionality.

Take care,

Giovanni

Giovanni

• Naith

Hi Giovanni
    I gladly try this, in fact i'm on it right now but after i add the --grant-easy-access option the Deployment fails, have to check why now. But after read the Doc's i dont see how this could help. It says "Each device can be assigned to only one account at a time."

As i said we are 3 IT Workers in the Company and i gues my co-Workers wouldn't be happy if i say them i have a solution for me but they all need to retype in the Password for all Contacts? Or do i just not get it? Does it works for more then one Account?

I would greatly appreciate if you could a bit mor specific on how i can assing 200 Hosts to 3 TeamViewer accounts without have tem to re-type every Password.

Thank you very much

• Giovanni

Hi @Naith,

thank you for your reply.

That's correct: one device can be assigned to only one account, but in cases like yours you can share the group where the devices are to you other 2 colleagues and they will have access to those machine too.

Please take a look here: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Sharing-groups/ta-p/30221

Take care,

Giovanni

Giovanni