Updating issues please help or fix , dont delete

zwitterelfzana
zwitterelfzana Posts: 10
edited May 2023 in General questions

I decided to use teamviewer to access the old netbook running windows XP from my Maviricks Computer... When I needed to access my scanner which works 100% but not on new-ish OS's because the manufacturers did not make updated versions of drivers for it... I then get this depreciation popup message to force update the software... Updated it on Mavericks... everything went fine...then I decided to update on windows XP... cant connect,.,, says my mavericks version needs to be updated... I just updated the darn thing...

Please fix... I have dissabilities... and this is like discrimination forcing me to go up and access the other computer manulaly is just no on.. beig forced to wait 5 minutes in the middle of the scan just makes my anxeity explode... Its cheesed me off and made me very angry... I had to system restore windows XP computer just to make it work, but those depreciation nag dialoges with forced 5 minutes happen again...  Then its doing the same thing with my Snow Leopard machine, cant even update that as well as it says its at its latest version... so what is the fuss ??, and I need it to work when I am going on holiday to south africa to my parents for christmass to keep an eye on my cat and if the cat sitter comes in everyday to feed my cat !!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @zwitterelfzana 

Thanks for your post.

We’re currently asking our free users with older versions of TeamViewer to update to the latest version soonest in order to continue using the software. The latest version is currently TeamViewer 14. 

As some outdated operating systems are not compatible with TeamViewer 14, you may not be able to use TeamViewer any longer on these specific devices.

This is something we carefully considered, and we took a keen look at the numbers before making this decision. In any case, the few operating systems that are not supporting TeamViewer 14 are not even supported by the manufacturer itself for a long time.

According to Apple's support page, you are still able to update your OS from Snow Leopard and Mavericks for free to El Capitan. This would allow you to continue using TeamViewer also on these devices as El Capitan can run with TeamViewer 14. See also Which operating systems are supported? 

Thanks and all the best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Hello, thank you very much for the reply , this is frustrating, as I cant update the Macbook to El Capitan because of the art programs I use on it, they are not compatible with the new versions, and the the developer of these programs no longer exists. Then I use the camera software to check up on my cat.. and it only works in snow leopard , and hence I used Teamviewer to access the computer in Snow Leopard to use this software. I need this running when I go on holiday during Christmass this year to see how my cat is doing...

My scanner only has drivers that work in Snow leopard and windows XP, and doesnt work in newer operating systems,which makes it easy to use and not have to regularly get up with my broken back to operate the computer, so I use teamviewer instead....

If i cant use use it, is their any other software like teamviewer I can use ?

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @zwitterelfzana 

Thanks for getting back to us.

I understand your frustration. It can be tricky to deal with older software and older operating system together with newer software.

I hope you´re finding the perfect solution for all your different use cases on your devices. Please excuse that we cannot discuss or promote other remote control software within our Community. 

Thanks again and all the best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• "Your stuff is too old, I don’t care about your back or disability , your art, or your cat and on your bike and move along " approach like predicted :(
  • I am sorry this is not an accepted solution, neither is it win. win ...

I do have a suggestion though, allow access to clients , on old versions where they cant be hosts... with the host being version 14.. which sounds more fair and reasonable.. for me, for others and for the planet... As a lot of tech sites advise (free advertise your software) in tech articles on how to connect your new devices with your old to create re-use , as a lot of software that is neglected only works on old devices on specific OS's. With re-use you reduce e-waste, which this "solution" you gave me would probably make more people to throw away their working devices just because they had been made useless by this, adding to the problem of e-waste on top of pollution , plastic pollution and climate change. I hope you can reconsider things until December

Much Love and regards, Danielle

"Click here to view reply... mark one as an Accepted Solution.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!"

• Everything worked before until this week, because of beng blocked from use with old versions... i though this was happening in the beginning of December and not now. A lot is going wrong and happening with my life , like the studio I go to , closing and so on...I was hoping December because i would need to access computer webcam and iSentry to see how my cat is doing and how it is being fed and looked after by someone who offered to look after my cat while I am away in South Africa over Christmass holidays.

I updated the windows xp netbook's Teamviewer that is connected to my scanner at home,.. so I could still use that to ease my mobility issues with my broken back, when and if I need to scan my art, my doctor's letters... and DWP letters about my benefits. The netbook cant be updated because the scanner drivers only work in windows XP and Snowleopard.

I then updated my iOS app on my iPhone.. that made connecting to my netbook work... but still cant connect to snowleopard that i hook with iSentry to observe my cat when away from home, in town shopping or visiting doctors appointments (I have medical issues) and medical support groups.

I cant update my iPad running iOS8... because the screen has been replaced by third party, as i researched that updating iDevice with a third party screen repair might brick the device completely.

I installed it on my Mojave external drive on my Mavericks Macbook Pro (cant update any further than current version in Mavericks) So I would use the Mojave external drive to boot up from... to access the windows XP netbook+scanner on the opposite side of the room... I could not get windows Remote Desktop to work... and i dont feel like reformating it just to get windows remote desktop to work... fortunately Windows XP can have Teamviewer updated to latest possible version.. 

After setting up some things to work with the recent depressing changes .. I started getting "detected for commercial" use pop-ups with 5 minute time-outs again... argh...if that wasnt enouph already...

Which is the reason why i dont like updates in general... because things work... and then they dont work anymore because things change...