Visual Studio 2017 Black UI Problem

amikhel
amikhel Posts: 1
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi guys, excuse me, is anybody here with this (black user interface) problem with Visual Studio 2017 and SQL Server 2017?

vs2017 black uivs2017 black ui

Comments

• For me the UI is all white. It's still working though: pressing at the top right closes VS, pressing F5 builds and starts the project, tooltips sometimes appear briefly. I also sometimes have entire dockable items that are visible, eg the performance tab when running the project.

Firefox is all white also. In the task manager I can see how many tabs there are. Pressing CTRL-T opens a tab (I don't see it in FF but in the task manager), CTRL-F4 closes it.

This all may have to do with GPU acceleration: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1193368

• bragyou
    bragyou Posts: 1

It working!

Thanks.

• This fixed it for me. Thank you for saving me hours of figuring out what was wrong!!

• Wow! You've saved my day! Thank You very much!
  • It is working very well.

Thanks

• The same problem as in the case of:
    @https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Previous-versions-EN/Visual-Studio-2017-Black-UI-Problem/m-p/29361#M2848

but the solution no longer helps as in the case of vs 2017

Przechwytywanie.PNG

• The solution does work, however the General Settings screen has changed. The way I accomplished the change was to.

Press ALT -> Press T -> Press O -> Press Tab x4 -> Press Space -> Press Tab x2 -> Press Space Then use mouse to press OK.

Sometimes using the letter keys also works (though its hit and miss)

Press ALT -> Press T -> Press O -> Press Tab x1 -> Press A -> Press U -> Use Mouse to Click OK.

Hope this helps some people.

• Qternocq
    Qternocq Posts: 1

For anyone using VS2019 and unable to see the options on the General tab (I was, options were hidden just like the rest of the devenv), I used these steps to turn off hardware acceleration and restarted VS and it worked:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/visual-studio-2019-launches-to-an-empty-outline-of/804202#T-N825122

• eklipsej
    eklipsej Posts: 1

The latest sequence is

Press ALT -> Press T -> Press O -> Press Tab x5 -> Press Space -> Press Tab x2 -> Press Space Then use mouse to press OK.

Needed an Extra Tab.

• dhdam
    dhdam Posts: 1

For Visual Studio 2022, Tab should be pressed 6 times:

Press ALT -> Press T -> Press O -> Press Tab x6 -> Press Space -> Press Tab x2 -> Press Space Then use mouse to press OK.

So this sequence will disable hardware acceleration in the options.

• mclayton
    mclayton Posts: 1
    edited September 2022

Just had this with Visual Studio 2022 (v17.4.0 Preview 2.0) - disabling hardware acceleration worked for me as well.

Note that if you don't want to use the Konami Codes above to navigate the menus blind and if you have physical access to the remote computer (or someone else who can be at the keyboard for you) you can just close TeamViewer and relaunch Visual Studio to get the menus to be visible on-screen, then disable it with mouse clicks.

After that, it'll load fine on TeamViewer remote sessions as well.