mac remote doesn't respect swapped control&command keys

d3x0r
d3x0r Posts: 5
edited May 2023 in General questions

I have a Mac Mini I recently got; To make it easier to deal with, I reversed the control and command keys in settings on the mac.  When I use a keyboard local to the mac, control-Key works just fine as command-key used to.  and vice versa (for example ending a console program with command-c now instead of control-c; or saving a document with ctrl-S instead of command-S)

However, when I connect to the mac through teamviewer (from windows), the keys are still mapped so control is control and command (windows-key) is command.  It doesn't respect the reversed settings in the keyboard.

(png image of mac keyboard settings)

Comments

• d3x0r

Maybe there could be an opton to rebind control and command keys for teamviewer?  This would allow teamviewer to make my experience more consistent across all remotes.  So maybe it's good that the keyboard settings don't apply.

• you can go to the settings of your keyboard and allow to Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V as well and not only Cmd+C and Cmd+v. then you will no longer have this problem.

• d3x0r

Please be more explicit.

Keyboard settings on (which system?) (in temamviewer? I didn't find any?)

• on your mac. By default your machine accepts the cmd+C but you can set a custom keyboard shortcut so that it also accepts the ctrl+c.
    This of course does not include the TV but is a small trick so that you don't have to be confused with which one to click.

• d3x0r

I find behavior is pretty consistent... ctrl-w ctrl-s, ctrl-N ctrl-t ... all also work when they get swapped.

Just maks aborting a terminal task using command-c the off-case which is OK.  I can live with that... ctrl-break would also be acceptable.( probably command break on a mac with reversed keys)

Well... again, if teamviwer can't just use what the individual map is; it would still be (even more) useul to have those settings in teramvewier; OH I see you want per-key-combinations settings also?

• Hi to everyone!

I'm a windows user and I use Teamviewer 13 to connect to a MAC. Obviously, there are some differences between Windows and MAC keyboards, but there are lots of guides on the web that give the correspondence keys between the two keyboards. For example, the "command" key on MAC is reproducible on the windows keyboard with the key "Start". Therefore, when I use my windows pc to work in remote mode trough TeamViewer on the Mac, I press the key "start" when I would like to press "command" on the mac keyboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. When I press "start", this function opens the icon start on my pc and nothing happens on the Mac. The function "command" is very important! One example is that when I want to select only some files from a long list of files.

Can this problem be fixed?

thank you!

• Hi there. I am using teamViewer to control windows 10 from my mac. everything works fine but i would like to map my macs cmd key to act as the ctrl key on the windows side. i have tried using sharpKeys and keyTweak (windows programs) to change the register and the cmd key was not recognised until i activated the 'forward key combinations' option. this seems to make it such that windows recognises the cmd key as the left windows key. unfortunately even though the softwares recognised the key now, when i remapped the keys and restarted it was as if nothing had happened. any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

• ChristianBailey
    ChristianBailey Posts: 6 ✭✭

This seems like an important feature to add. Any update on whether it is being considered?

• craig218
    craig218 Posts: 1

This is driving me nuts. I work on a Mac, but almost every computer I log into is PC. I am endlessly hitting Command + C and having the windows start menu open. Even Remote Desktop Connection for mac has this figured out.

Please TeamViewer, this can't bee too hard. I just need a way to re-map keys from the client to host. 

• BradOZ
    BradOZ Posts: 5 ✭✭

Even better. only reason I swapped them is to make it easy for teamviewring in to the mac.

Thing that relly grinds my gears is that even with swaping keys around the physical placement of equivilent keys on a non mac keyboard are different to when your translating windows fucniton son amcos keyboard etc.

So switching from  PC keyboard to a mac keybopard is always going to destroy your touch typing musscle memory.

If teamviewer had some waay of also accounting for this would be awesome.

Like "I am using a pc keyboard layoput" as well as "emulate windows control" option.

• Team Teamviewer, pretty please, it's just an option to swap two keys.

• Pengwyn
    Pengwyn Posts: 2 ✭✭

for me it is the other way around; I am on a MAC at home and work remotely during the pandemic on my windows machine at work. i get very frustrated when I need to type german characters on my Work PC via teamviewer!When i want to enter diacretic signs, like ë ö etc., on my windows machine, i would hit the " key and then the letter on which the Umlaut should go and presto.

this doesn't work from my Mac. also i would like all shortcuts that i use in windows to just work.

for instance, when i hit CTRL and arrow-left on my windows machine, I can navigate through a typed sentence, but when I try it from my MAC via teamviewer, this doesn't work, and I get instead my MAC-desktop.

isn't there a way where I can tell teamviewer to send all keystrokes to the remote computer only when in fullscreen mode?

• ANIMATEK
    ANIMATEK Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

Jokes on you for thinking they give an **bleep**

• stevegon
    stevegon Posts: 1

TeamViewer needs to have a Keyboard mapper built in. This is a not a fancy or complicated feature, but a requirement. TeamViewer is USELESS out of the box when using an external keyboard and going from Windows to a Mac or vice versa. Modifier keys simply do not work. I was able to get things to work from Logitech to Windows to Mac, but I had to use PowerKeys, Karabiner and the built in MacOS Keyboard setting, and god forbid I ever wanted to use the Logitech directly with the Mac, I had to change two profiles in two separate apps.

Trying to go from Logitech to Mac to Windows is impossible. No matter what I do, I cannot map Ctrl to behave properly in Windows.

TEAMVIEWER THIS IS A BASIC FEATURE THAT MUST BE ADDED.

• ANIMATEK
    ANIMATEK Posts: 4 ✭✭

They FINALLY added support to use the WIN key as CMD when you go Windows -> Mac OS or viceversa.

Why did it take so much time is beyond comprehension...

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/109253-use-key-commands-in-sessions-win-mac

• BradOZ
    BradOZ Posts: 5 ✭✭

There is no added support described here for swapping keys. It only explains what keys you should press instead. Eg. Telling you to press Win+c instead of Ctrl+C is not doing anything about what the OP describes.