Do not redirect Singapore users to chinese website

RegidAnimal
RegidAnimal Posts: 1
edited February 2023 in General questions

Recently, I was redirected to the chinese version of the website (teamviewer.cn). This seems to happen to all Singapore IP addresses. Can this be reverted back to English instead? English is the official language of this country. Although I am of chinese descent myself, I do not understand a majority of the language, as some Singaporeans are. Not to mention there are other ethnic groups in Singapore too.

Comments

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @RegidAnimal 

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

Thank you also for this feedback - I have forwarded it internally to the appropriate team.

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• Hello, there seems to have been a suggestion made almost half a year ago regarding the homepage's language selection when browsed from Singapore, and nothing seems to have been done about it yet.

Singapore is NOT a Chinese country, its residents may be predominantly Chinese, but Singapore is also home to four major ethinicities, which apart from the Chinese are the Malays, Indians and Eurasians. Most of which do not speak nor understand Chinese. And in the span of our short history, we have used English as our lingua franca. Not just as a relic left from our former British occupants but also as a unifying factor, a means which to break the language barrier that used to exist between our various ethnic groups.

This is all coming from me, a Singaporean Chinese myself. In modern Singapore I can most certainly say that English is the most widely-spoken and understood language around here, so much in fact that even the local Chinese youth often have been neglecting their study of the Chinese language in favour of the more convienient and easier to learn English language. I myself have a poor command of the Chinese language despite being of Chinese birth.

Therefore I would like to plead to the Teamviewer team to divert the Chinese redirect back to an English one. Thank you.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Sigr_Ring 

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you referring to the TeamViewer Community directing you to the Chinese version of the Community (community.teamviewer.cn)? Or are you talking about the TeamViewer website (teamviewer.com)?

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager