edited May 2023 in General questions

How can i restart a remote PC/Server and access the BIOS

thank you

Comments

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi tdn001,

Thanks for posting!

As there is generally no Internet access from BIOS and as TeamViewer cannot be running on the remote computer while in BIOS, unfortunately it is not possible to remotely control a device and access that devices BIOS as this is a restriction of remote control software.

I am sorry for the disappointment.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • Vitalii
    Vitalii Posts: 1

Do you have any plans to include this feature?)

I really need it, I need Reinstall windows remoutly 

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Unfortunately we have no ability to implement this feature.

This isn't a case of us not developing the feature, it just isn't possible. It would be like trying to provide software to connect to a computer that wasn't connected to a network in any way, it just isn't something that software is capable of doing as there is no software running at the BIOS.

I am sorry for the dissapointment.

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • StreetHero
    StreetHero Posts: 1
    edited September 2022

Hi tdn001,

Luckily I've found that spark for you here. [Removed by Moderator as per community Guidelines - TeamViewer only please]

• mitchstein443
    mitchstein443 Posts: 1
    edited September 2022

The technology you need is called KVM over IP (out of band service). Basically it is a hardware solution that can work the keyboard, mouse and monitor through the internet even if the computer's Operating system is locked up or you need to flash update the bios or just make bios level changes as if you were sitting right in front of the keyboard locally but really are half way around the world.

I once had a isa card setup that did this, but it stopped working once the pentium era came about and at that time my remote needs were not that extreme, but I find myself once again searching for the best cost best solution for moder servers..

[Removed by Moderator as per community Guidelines - TeamViewer only please]

• Razuel
    Razuel Posts: 1

It would be possible with say a raspberry pi, captures the video port and relays it back along with mouse keyboard instrutctions. but that would require software support that does not exist.

• hanschke
    hanschke Posts: 3 ✭✭

it is possible because Radmin can do it so please add this too :)

• Sokratis199
    Sokratis199 Posts: 3 ✭✭

The technology for that exists since about 2008, from intel side of things it is using AMT (part of vPro) and AMD calls their tech DASH

This allows users to change bios settings remotely without accessing the easy bios access by rebooting and then pressing the "dell" key (while the PC is offline)

I hope that teamviewer implements these features before I get old enough to retire lol, atleast 50% of IT support needs to change or check the value of one or more bios settings...