OSX: No uninstall button. Manual uninstall kills Apple Remote Desktop

Options
pstratford
pstratford Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Working remotely - no way of visiting the office as it's thousands of miles away.

Just foolishly installed the beta after unintentionally "upgrading" the management console to v12. (A poorly thought-out scheme. You should have a choice of building v11 modules, but I digress.)

Having realised that I'd installed v12, I tried to find the uninstall. Not there.  Okay, I've manually uninstalled TeamViewer before. Went through the LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, PriviledgedHelperTools and Preferences. Deleted the app. Restarted

Mac was not visible on the network but appeared to be alive. That's okay, the Macs are setup for Apple Remote Desktop. Nope.

SSH'd via Terminal, all seemed fine, reset the ARD agent, still couldn't get control. In the Home folder... rm -rf .Trash ... reboot... nope

Had to remotely reinstall TeamViewer Host from the command line (see below if you ever need it, you may need to check the URL is still active)

curl -O http://downloadeu1.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerHost.dmg
hdiutil mount TeamViewerHost.dmg
sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/TeamViewerHost/Install\ TeamViewerHost.pkg -target /

Once it installed... sudo reboot

...and the Mac was visible again through Remote Desktop.

Hopefully, they'll rollback the management console to v11 modules.

Comments

• Aaron_Boshers
    Aaron_Boshers Posts: 47 Moderator
    Options

Dear pstratford,

Thank you for your inquiry.

For the v11 rollback one of our representatives will me messaging you shorty.

Also we thank you for posting some advanced tips for Mac users that may not be commonly known. 

Thank you for using TeamViewer and for supporting the TeamViewer community.

Aaron Boshers

Aaron Boshers
    Senior Enterprise Solutions Engineer

If my reply answered your question, help out other users and click the Accept as a Solution button below.
    You can also say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button! Thanks for being an active member of our Community!
  • pstratford
    pstratford Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

It's okay, Thomas has been in touch. 

• docmuniz
    docmuniz Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Aaron,

I am having this same problem. There is no Uninstall Button in the Team Viewer preferences.

I am Version 11 on MacOS Sierra.

Please advice, I would like to do a full uninstall.

Thanks.

Carlos.

• MR_London
    MR_London Posts: 1
    Options

It looks like the problem is with removing TeamViewerAuthPlugin.bundle from /Library/Security/SecurityAgentPlugins - one cannot just delete it, it needs to be removed properly. Unfortunately, it's not clear how. There's a database which needs to be updated.