Black screen not working (Windows 10)

Posted by frankhovin
Digon

Black screen not working (Windows 10)

This seems to be the oposite of the common problem:

I'm unable to show a black screen on the computer I'm connecting to.

I can select "disable remote imput" - which works, and I can also select the "show black screen". Bu this does nothing. On the remote computer, the input is disabled but the screen shows everything.

I've also tried selecting the "enable black screen" option in the tw options on the remote computer, but when I do this the client cannot even connect to it: It hangs forever on "initializing display parameters".

Anyone got any ideas? I was about to buy a license for TW when I noticed this, and it's a complete show stopper for me. There's no official TW help to get either, since I haven't bought a license yet.

I've tried installing and reinstalling the TW monitor drivers on both machines, but TW doesn't even appear to be TRYING to black the remote screen.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Posted by frankhovin
Digon
Solution

Re: Black screen not working (Windows 10)

There is no fix. I talked with the development team, sent them logs etc., and the conclusion was that it was a known issue with no scheduled fix. So, basically, the message was "We'll probably fix it sometime, but we cannot say anything about it. It might be in two weeks or two  years. Or never."

Needless to say, I selected another software solution for my company.

1 Reply
13 Replies
Posted by bartlanz
Heptagon

I have seen this option but never actually used it before today. It appears to work for me from my Dell Laptop to a Samsun All In One that I am setting up. I did need to install the driver you mentioned.

Have you tried it with any other computers in your enviroment yet? I wonder if it is something unique to that machine or that video card model/chipset?

If my post was helpful, Please throw me a Kudos.
If my post fixed your issue, please mark it as the solution to help the next person find a solution quickly.
Bart Lanzillotti
We Do IT USA
www.wedoitusa.com
Posted by frankhovin
Digon

I just tried connecting to the same computer with the Android app, actually. And the problem was the same there: The "black screen" option did nothing, but everything else worked fine. Can the problem be that TW isn't able to black the screen of this specific host computer? I'll try using another host computer as soon as possible to troubleshoot further.

Posted by frankhovin
Digon

I've now tried what I should've tried right away: Connected from A to B and B to A.

When connecting from ComputerA (Dell Lattitude) to ComputerB (HP ZBook), it doesn't work. Neither Actions->Disable remote input/enable black screen on ComputerA nor Advanced Settings->Enable black screen.

When connecting from ComputerB (HP ZBook) to ComputerA (Dell Lattitude), it DOES work. The moment I select Actions->Disable remote input on ComputerB (HP ZBook), the host monitor (Dell Lattitude) goes blank.

ComputerB (HP ZBook) has two external monitors in addition to the laptop monitor. I'm guessing this might have something to do with the problems? I didn't think about this at first, because I cannot remember the last time I saw a workplace laptop that didn't have at least ONE external monitor.

TW DOES detect the multiple monitors though, and when connecte I can switch between all three.

Posted by CyberTech
Henagon

I am having a similar problem.

Remote computer, 3 screens -- all HDMI. Screen blanking worked fine.

Changed one screen to a 2K DisplayPort, and it's unable to blank it.  The HDMI screens still blank fine.

Win10, Teamviewer 12.0.78313

Posted by Ugenx
Photon

This is definitely related to displayport/external monitors. I am having the same issue blanking a remote screen connected to a laptop via displayport. This same blanking on the same system and monitor works fine over an HDMI connection.

Posted by MichaelG
Henagon

I see the problem too. dual monitors - display port.
I only found out because I was told that I could be seen working. So, I set up my camera to face the screen. Problem verified.

Posted by MichaelG
Henagon

I just found that it's not blanking on my work computer either. HDMI input on this one.

Posted by Kimber
Henagon

Has anyone found a fix for this?

I got the prompt to install the driver, but I didn't restart my computer at the time.

My computer popped up that it stopped the download of the driver.  Now I cannot get the computer to download the driver again.  Each time I select to black the screen, it prompts to download the driver, but it never actually downloads.  Even in the advanced setting, the install monitor driver is grayed out.

Highlighted
Posted by frankhovin
Digon
Solution

There is no fix. I talked with the development team, sent them logs etc., and the conclusion was that it was a known issue with no scheduled fix. So, basically, the message was "We'll probably fix it sometime, but we cannot say anything about it. It might be in two weeks or two  years. Or never."

Needless to say, I selected another software solution for my company.

1 Reply
Posted by Kimber
Henagon

Thanks so much for the reply.  This is really disappointing that they do not have a fix.

What remote software did you decide to use instead?  I've been looking for other options myself.

Posted by MichaelG
Henagon

I have the issue on at least 2 computers.
On one (HDMI), uninstalling the driver, then uninstalling TeamViewer, then reinstalling it all fixed it.
On the other with DisplayPort and 2 monitors, it did not help. I have a ticket in.

Posted by janhvh
Photon

I have this problem too, and a colleague as well.
One screen goes blank, the other does not.

Might be a difference between HDMI / Digital input / SVGA ?

Posted by MichaelG
Henagon

TeamViewer support has been good at working with me, but I did some testing on my own.
I decided to check my NVidia display driver. A new update was available - but it got me thinking. So after allot of testing... the later display drivers do not allow the black screen to work.
I have two DisplayPort monitors.
NVidia driver version and will black screen work...
368.69 - OK
375.70 - OK
376.09 - OK
378.92 - OK (3-20-17)
--------------------------------- Breaks here
381.65 - NO (4-06-17)
381.89 - NO
384.76 - NO
385.28 - NO