Please bring back the resize window aspect ratio lock.

One "feature" that I liked of the previous versions of TeamViewer was that I could grab the corner of the window and resize it and it would stay locked with the aspect ratio of the remote computer's resolution. Currently it is just a freeform resize and requires more micromanagement for resizing the window. I didn't realize this was a feature that I depended on so greatly until suddenly it wasn't there anymore. Unfortunately I don't see this bothering anyone else via various searches so I figured I'd drop my plea here.

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Avitus,

Thank you for your post.

With the launch of version 11 did we make this change due to technical reasons. Now all connections are shown as "best fit". In addition to that, the resolution would have to been changed manually.

Are you making connections to computer with a higher resolution like 4K?

If you are making connections to specific computers saved in your computer & contacts list, you can define the remote resolution by changing the settings in the properties of the computer (click on the gear --> Properties --> Advanced --> Remote resolutions). With this your preferred resolution is saved for the specific PCs and you can save the mentioned micromanagement time:

Remote resolution.png

I hope, this information is helpful. If so, please accept it as a solution :-)

Best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• PierG
    PierG Posts: 1

I totally agree with this request. I'm connecting to a lot of computers with a lot of different resolutions, and sometimes I just want to put them on a specific part of my screen.

It's very annoying to have to remove these black borders all the time.

• Cutsman
    Cutsman Posts: 13 ✭✭

@Esther:

Unfortunately that does not fix the issue I speak of. I'm looking more for something where in the previous version of TV11 it would allow you to grab a corner of the window and then allow you to resize the window with a sort of "locked aspect ratio." It would resize the window without adding any top or side bars, the resize itself would be locked to the AR of the display resolution of the remote computer. It was super handy for resizing a window to be smaller in a short amount of time so that you could put it off the the side for reference. I hope this makes sense as it seems there are people who do miss it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/5me7s3/teamviewer_12_please_bring_back_the_resize_window/

• Esther

@Cutsman

I just made a test connection to a remote computer and clicked on a corner of the window to resize it. It worked, but there was no automated re-sizing and I couldn´t see the whole screen any longer (Is this the problem you are facing?).

Therefore, I clicked on View in the toolbar on top of the remote-window and chose Scaled. This worked. After that I could resize the window and the size was automatically converted to the size of the window.

Toolbar - TeamViewer.png

Can you give it a try? Please let me know, if this helps.

Best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Cutsman

@Esther

Just tried the scaled function and no, it's still the same. Honestly it is apparently hard to describe without actually trying the older version and comparing how window resizing feels. TV12 just allows for unrestricted freedom in window resizing, whereas TV11 restricts the resize to the remote computer's aspect ratio. I wish I could record the difference between the two so you could see what I speak of.

• Cutsman

@Jeremy

Exactly! You got it. That's the one little quality of life feature that I miss from TV12. Thanks for understanding.

• MaxJupiter
    MaxJupiter Posts: 1

I refused to switch to TV12 for a long time because of this feature missing in TV12 ....   I agree with everyone on here it needs to be brought back .

I have been using this for interhome connections and love being able to run programs on remote computer and being able to spy on remote computers as well

Please bring Aspect ratio lock

• msg
    msg Posts: 27

We just upgraded to v12 on perpetual license.  So many great new features from the previous version we were running, however, this aspect ratio lock is annoying and I am disappointed to see that the issue remains unresolved months after initially reported?

Is this to be addressed for v12 before v13 comes out?
    Makes me wonder whether we should have gone subscription, but we like to own our software.  This seems like a flaw perpetual license customers should not have to endure.  I hope we won't be stuck with this problem.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy Posts: 106 Staff member 🤠

Hi all,

I've been informed that the removal of the aspect ratio lock, with TeamViewer 12, was intentional. We removed it based on feedback from other users, and in particular because the aspect ratio lock made it quite difficult to manage when connecting from a landscape-oriented local computer to a portrait-oriented remote device. We felt it was better to allow users to change the size and ratio of the remote session window according to their individual needs, without forcing the ratio to stay locked in place.

I do understand that this can be an annoyance for those who prefer the ratio to be locked in place. However, it should still be possible to keep the ratio of a resized window fairly close to it's original ratio when dragging the window out with the mouse, and if it's not exact, there will simply be a small black bar along one side of the window - similar to resizing the window of a movie player or photo viewer app. :)

Regards,
    Jeremy
    TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
  • Cutsman

We already do this now. Is there no hope for at least a toggle in the options menu? It just seems like the feature was there, then some people complained about it, and then it was removed without checking to see if anyone actually liked it to begin with. That's just frustrating.

• Jeremy

Hi @Cutsman,

I have passed on the idea of an options toggle to our product management. However I can't say if, or when, it could be implemented I'm afraid.

The issue here is that when the aspect ratio is locked, it has a negative impact on functionality when connecting to a portrait-oriented device. For example, the full width of the TeamViewer toolbar or other controls might not be visible, which restricts what you can do. On the other hand, when the aspect ratio is not locked, it doesn't result in a loss of functionality - it is still possible to resize the window, even if not in a perfectly precise way, and more importantly TeamViewer continues to function correctly. For that reason, having an unlocked aspect ratio was the better of the two options.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • Cutsman

The problem with that argument is that it worked like this before the update to TV12 and it never affected the functionality of the toolbar or anything else. We all still resize our windows down to smaller viewports for certain applications, the scaling has no problem handling that, this is merely just to maintain a quick resize to the remote computer's resolution. I'm already getting a "deal with it kind" kind of vibe but if you read some of the other comments above you have actual paying customers who are not happy with this change so I hope you may reconsider. While you mention this might eventually show up, let me remind you that this was initially brought up seven months ago. 

• msg

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the info and for posting back.
    The TV 12 client for the Mac works perfectly, and it works for accessing remote devices properly as well, so that explanation, I'm afraid, doesn't hold water unless I'm missing something obvious.  I don't understand why this can't work for the Windows Client as well.

As it stands right now, Best Fit and Scaled don't seem to do anything differently.  I agree, if this is a problem for mobile devices in portrait mode, then this aspect lock should be an option - lock or free, but it is a terrible, terrible time-wasting nuisance when working in multiple windows to have to spend time trying to get these windows properly sized.  This is a step back in functionality and should be addressed.  I find it unfair to finally be awarded funds to upgrade our TeamViewer software, and to come into an exciting upgrade and find that some functionality as basic as this does not function as it should.

We're the IT pros giving you product feedback, the people who make the purchase cases to the management.  Seems like someone should want to see that we're satisfied with the product, and not feeling ripped off or disappointed with a lack of adequate forum or support for our concerns.

This needs to be addressed for V12 users, not just for V13 if it is to be returned then.  I will be tremendously disappointed if V12 users are left out to dry on this.

I'm really enjoying my exploration of TV12 after our recent upgrade, but this single issue has me longing for the simplicity of our earlier licensed version.  It's frustrating how much this affects a workflow for an IT person.  This is why I am always reluctant to upgrade apps and applications - loss of functionality or being locked into some new design that doesn't make sense over a previous design.  You know, like the Microsoft Ribbon.

• msg

Hello - can we get an update on TeamViewer's position on this issue, please?  Kind of feeling left in the dark, here on this issue; abandoned.

There's been a good bit of contribution from the customers who want to help you to make TeamViewer the best it can be.  Are we being heard?

• Esther

Hi @msg

Thank you for your post and your feedback.

The idea has been added to our lists of feature requests (see @Jeremys last post). As far as I know was there no change in the last weeks, but we will keep you updated on any changes.

We are very happy and thankful for your feedback and the insights you are providing us. We need our users feedback and suggestions for improvements to offer the best possible software for remote access. Please be sure, that we are reading every single post and idea in the Community. Keep on submitting your ideas and feedback and help us to improve TeamViewer.

All the best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• msg

Is an adjustment for Version 12 in the works as well, or for future releases only?

• Jeremy

Hi @msg,

The key difference between Best Fit and Scaled is this: Scaled means that if the size of the remote computer's desktop is smaller than the size of the session window, then the remote computer's desktop will be scaled upwards (enlarged) to fit into the session window. Best Fit, however, does the opposite: if the size of the remote computer's desktop is larger than the size of the session window, then the remote computer's desktop will be reduced to fit into the smaller session window. Otherwise the remote computer's desktop will be left at its original size. Generally Best Fit is the best setting to use.

Normally, when you connect to a remote computer, the size of the session window will automatically be the same as the size of the remote computer's desktop. Especially if you're using Best Fit. So normally it shouldn't be necessary to resize the session window by clicking the corner of the window with your mouse.

You mentioned that you need to resize the session windows of all the computers you connect to, and I'm not sure why you need to do that. Could you give me some more details about your workflow and why you need to resize the windows? Are you enlarging the windows, or reducing them? Do you use the Best Fit setting for the scaling?

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • msg

Hey Jeremy,
    how you describe the difference between Best Fit and Scaled has never been my experience with v12 or previous versions of TeamViewer.  I've never had TeamViewer scale up a smaller remote client.  It's only ever displayed in actual size, or scaled down.

I resize because I frequently work with multiple remote sessions at one time, and resizing upward makes it easier for me to shift focus, while resizing downward again to "put it in the background".

Sometimes I just want to monitor a running task out of the corner of my eye, but to have that window sitting on my screen at full size, I can't see what's going on with it if I'm working on something else that's full size in the forefront.  So I'll change my session windows to be able to monitor multiple sessions at the same time while working on something in the forefront. This is just one reason for it.

The point shouldn't be why do I want to work a certain way.  The points here are, why has TeamViewer taken a step backward in eliminating an elementary program operation? and why does no one at TeamViewer seem to be able to understand the issue despite contributions and examples from several customers?

And there's no response on whether this is to be addressed.  It almost seems like no one ont the support team has used TeamViewer.  This is becoming frustrating.

I've taken some time to compile some examples to better clarify, along with a brief writeup and posted on imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/VxbDY

• msg

Hi Jeremy,

I'd written a response here earlier, but it didn't seem to post properly.
    I've created an album on imgur to demonstrate this issue more clearly.

https://imgur.com/a/4IMyy

• msg

My experience with scaling is not what you describe.  I've never had TeamViewer scale a smaller remote display upward to fill the screen.  I see that that can be done with Best Fit, but I don't care to use this feature at all.  I see no point.  Maybe if my display was larger, but I'm using 1920x1200.

I resize session windows frequently - reducing them only - when I am in and out of multiple sessions. Sometimes I need to execute a task, and then will reduce that window's size, move it off to a corner, and monitor it periodically while I'm working with another session window in the foreground.  I routinely move these windows around, resizing them numerous times, as needed.

Sometimes I'll get my sessions running and reorganize the windows in a cascaded layout, all windows of about the same size, regardless of scaling effects.  This is one other way I work sometimes.  I can spend the extra time resizing them to get the black bars out, but I have to start this process all over again if I reboot a remote client, or have to reinitiate the session.

Aspect lock makes this a non-issue.  I still don't understand why it was removed or what TeamViewer's position is on writing it back in, and supporting it for v12, as it should have been all along.  Clearly other customers have voiced desire to have this option returned to the software.  I'm having a hard time understanding why this is so difficult to understand.  Hopefully the imgur gallery I created and posted above will clarify the problem and shed some light on how this lack of aspect lock in resizing is a hugely inefficient nuisance.

Happy to continue helping out in the interest of development, but perhaps a phone session would be best if this is not clear at this point.

• msg

@Jeremy @Esther and TeamViewer Support - did you guys see the demo/screenshots I posted above for clarification of describing this issue?

• Jeremy

Hi @msg,

I did see your screenshots and demo, thanks. I passed that info back to our product management for their awareness. I'm afraid I can't promise anything beyond that, at this stage.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • msg

Good, thanks Jeremy.
    So what do they say about it?

• jvvcn7
    jvvcn7 Posts: 1

Viewing multiple monitors without the ability to resize screen, makes it impossible to see anything on systems with three monitors.... switching between the monitors is not a viable option whenyou are using 3 monitors on the remote computer.. why not jsut leave the optional function in the software... you could always choose whether or not to use this!

It makes so sense, just because some unintelligent people accidentally turn it on, and then don't know how to use it when they turn it on, shouldn't mean you should get rid of it.

I have to use dameware to help users with 3 or 4 monitors so I can have them fit my window when viewing them all. This is absurd that I have to use obsolete software because you "upgraded" your software.

• Cutsman
    edited December 2021

I've resorted to using **Third Party Product** because of this feature still being missing. [removed per Community Guidelines ] Meanwhile TeamViewer still struggles with window resizing.

• nihan
    nihan Posts: 1

plz help me ??

• worm6666
    worm6666 Posts: 3 ✭✭

3 Years and still NO ASPECT RATIO LOCK ? ? ? Terrible... it is an absolute incompetence of the development teamleader and management too... How it is possible, that some good feature is not translated into checkbox in settings automaticaly - only simply deleted ? It is simply TERRIBLE!!! Hey ! TeamViewer !!! Wake up !!! This was a mistake of century... Still not enough feedback from customers ? You need 10k downvotes till somebody does something ? You ruined the simplicity of the client window resizing...

• a_it
    a_it Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited July 2022

its 5 years without that BASIC feature. Im wasting time every **bleep** day, scaling several teamsviewers so I get rid of these annoying black borders, which just hurt my eyes.

I was "forced" to migrade from my LIFETIME licence (lifetime means 10 years in teamviewers opinion) of Teamviewer 9 and I was shocked, having such a basic feature just vanished. Thought I'm to stupid to find it, but having developers deleting that feature on purpose is just crazy. I mean, a checkbox in settings would have solved the problem for everyone. instead 90% of the users got a big step backwards for 10% (in best case - I dont have a single one out of around 70 devices in my contacts list) of portrait mode users? really?! have you guys taken a look around in Companies? Seen any Moitor in anoffice in Portait mode? I mean, gamer setups with multiple monitors, maybe, but these a private customers, I dont care if they waste time while resizing. I'm talking about business users, which are probalby 99% of your paying customers...

2 years of my LIFETIME (!!!) migration licence left, then I'm gone here. There are other companies out there, that still care bout their customers.

PS: if a checkbox is to hard to code: keep aspect when resizing while holding shift like other software does it.

• ANIMATEK
    ANIMATEK Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited December 2022

Gotta agree with most of the people here. TeamViewer don't be such a corporate **bleep**. Bring back the feature, put a checkbox in settings deactivated by default. Nobody will dislike that.