TeamViewer 12 for BlackBerry has been released!

Jeremy
Jeremy Posts: 106 Staff member 🤠

We’re happy to announce that we have released version 12 of our Remote Control app for BlackBerry.

This means you can now make connections from your BlackBerry device to computers that are running TeamViewer 12 or lower.

In addition, version 12 introduces support for mobile-to-mobile connections, which means you can now connect from your BlackBerry - or from your Android, iOS or Windows 10 Mobile device - to another compatible mobile device running our QuickSupport app on Android or Windows 10 Mobile, and you can view and control the screen of the remote device.

The new BlackBerry app can be downloaded via our website, or directly from BlackBerry World.

Regards,
Jeremy
TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
Tagged:

Comments

• Jeremy,

I had installed an Android version of TeamViewer 12 on my modified Z10 which allows me to run apps from the Play store. When I ran it I got a message from TeamViewer saying that I needed to go to Blackberry World to download the Blackberry app.  So I uninstalled the Android app and proceeded to install from BB World.
    Lo and behold, as soon as it started up I got a pop-up saying that "Teamviewer relies on Google Play services which is not supported by your device. Contact the manufacturer for assistance".
    Why would a native BB app require Google Play services. If I download an app from BB World I should be able to expect it to be native and run on my Z10 without these notifications, or am I missing something?

Now I get Google Play store messages saying that there is an update for Teamviewer.  Again, why would Google Play store notify me of updates and not Blackberry World?

Everything seems to point to the fact that this is not a native BB app or is there a rational explanation for this behaviour?

Thanks

• Jeremy

Hi @TilgazTizi,

Our BlackBerry app is not a native app - rather, it's a repackaged Android app, which is supported by the BlackBerry operating system.

On a normal, unmodified BlackBerry device, our app does not require Google Play services at all. However, if the BlackBerry device has been modified and does not support GCM push notifications, then our app will give you an error regarding Google Play services. For that reason I'm afraid we don't support the app on a modified BlackBerry.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • bb10
    bb10 Posts: 1

Hi Jeremy,

My Blackberry Z30 has been running Teamviewer 11 for the longest time and it has been working great! Recently, the app will no longer connect to the PC (also running v11). It gives error "Connection Failed: no route". When i search this error, people say the app needs to be updated.

I downloaded v12 from Blackberry world, and updated the desktop to v12 as well. Unfortunately it doesn't work, I still get 'no route' error. I updated the PC to v14, and now it states 'Incompatible version'.

I downloaded the latest apk direct from Teamviewer to sideload it. The apk installs fine, but when i run the app, a message appears stating to 'Download Blackberry app', 'This android app cannot be run on Blackberry devices...'

Why is there code to check for Blackberry devices?  If it runs on Android 4.3, it should run on Blackberry 10 as well. This code is preventing me from using Teamviewer.

Can you please either update the version on Blackberry world to version 14, or repackage a sideloadable v14 bar file, or compile a sideloadable v14 apk that just works on any 4.3 device (i.e. take out the Blackberry check, and take out reliance on google play services)?

Thanks

• Jeremy

Hi @bb10 ,

We don't have any code in our Android APKs that block sideloading on BlackBerry 10. And the Android app also does not require Google Play services on unmodified BlackBerry devices. However, it's possible that the TeamViewer 14 APK might not work on older BlackBerry devices like yours. As we don't officially support this scenario, I can't say for sure.

I would suggest to try the following:

• Make sure your phone is running the latest available version of BlackBerry (ie. BlackBerry 10.3.1) in case that helps with sideloading the APK.
    • Install the Google Play Store onto your phone. If you search on Google you can find unofficial, unsupported methods of sideloading the Play Store app itself - at your own risk of course. Then use the Play Store to try and install the TeamViewer app - perhaps this will work.
    • Consider replacing your phone with a newer one that runs a currently-supported operating system. :)

I'm sorry these suggestions may not be what you're hoping for. At this point in time we don't have a native BlackBerry version of the TeamViewer 14 app available, and therefore we're unable to officially support your setup. Upgrading your phone is probably your best option in the long-run.

Regards,
    Jeremy