TeamViewer ID Keeps Changing

We are an IT firm who commonly deploy servers and workstations in an unconfigured state so we can have senior techs work on them remotely.  The problem is that TV will randomly change its ID following configuration changes.  It's extremely annoying and counterintuituve given the nature of this product as a support tool for IT professionals.  As an example, tonight I remotely connected to a new installation of Server 2016 Standard.  I installed the Windows Server Backup and Bitlocker roles, and then rebooted.  When the server came back up, it had a completely different TV ID.  Fortunately, I had another machine to connect to, and thankfully had the foresight to turn on RDP and open local firewall ports so I could determine the new ID.    Does anyone have similar experience and know of a way to prevent the code from changing?

Comments

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Posts: 242 [Former Staff]

Hi jdgabriel,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community!

Sorry you are having trouble with TeamViewer ID's changing after you make your configuration changes on the remote workstations.

If you have a TeamViewer license, you can submit the log files from the affected machines to your local TeamViewer Support team so they can determine why the ID's keep changing.

Check out this link to find the log files>https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-11/How-to-find-your-log-files-on-Windows-amp-Mac/m-p/73#U73

Then click this link to submit the log files in a ticket to your Support team>https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/contact/submit-a-ticket/

Please post an update if Support is able to provide you with a solution!

All the best,

Jonathan

• DDock
    DDock Posts: 5

Did your problem ever get resolved?

We have 100+ domain added machines that are also changing ID's. We have not been able to resolve this ever with TeamViewer's help.

• riker1
    riker1 Posts: 5 ✭✭

any solution around?

• DDock

No luck. We worked with TeamViewer support on this for weeks and they could not provide a solution... Even worse, we are now having problems where it will hang on install and update. We now have several computers where the Teamviewer service uninstalled itself. We have to RDP over VPN to reinstall and the switching ID's problem still exists after reinstall. Pretty sickening, we have a 5 channel corporate license and they cannot dedicate more resources to fix this problem. It is apparent that several people are having the same exact issue.

Teamviewer tried to tell us it was a cloning issue, which we don't clone our HDD's. We use windows imaging.

• DDock

It's very frusterating to have remote support software that we cannot remotely access!

• Zhanos
    Zhanos Posts: 1

Did you ever find a solution for this because I am having the same problem.

• riker1
    riker1 Posts: 5 ✭✭

unfortunately not

• Jer-Cedar
    Jer-Cedar Posts: 3 ✭✭

Having the same problem. Been experiencing this issue for several months now. Usually after a reboot. Most of the machines affected are Win 2012 R2 and they are Hyper-V virtual systems. Any suggestions or fixes yet? Thanks.

• Wiley_One
    Wiley_One Posts: 4

We have suffered the "randomly changing TV ID" issue with TeamViewer 12 and, yes, it was always on a Server 2012 R2 system, sometimes on a Hyper-V VM and sometimes on a physical machine.  

We have also noticed some installations where TeamViewer will not connect to the TV mothership until somebody logs into in the Windows desktop.  Probably an issue for different thread.

We contacted TeamViewer support and we were told never to install TeamViewer over an RDP connection because it often "doesn't work right".  Something about fast-user-switching.  

So, now I'm dialing in with HP iLO to uninstall and reinstall TeamViewer 12 on the affected servers.   This is only possible if iLO is licensed.   

I have not determined whether applying our TeamViewer corporate license to the host installation will stop the ID from changing.   So many questions -- so few answers.  I'm hoping the reinstall will solve all three issues.

• SFroese64
    SFroese64 Posts: 1

i am having a similar problem except it's the password that has changed. That was a local TV installation on the remote computer. The screen has gone dark on that notebook so I am trying to remotely find the problem. Whereas I could connect yesterday, I can't connect today, and we can't look up the new password because there is no video :(

• Fidolido
    Fidolido Posts: 11 ✭✭

I don't have an answer, but I do have a workaround.... I use DWService as a backup. It doesn't do a lot, but it allows me to access an inaccessible server or workstation. It doesn't allow for dual screens but at least I can get in to do my job and get the current ID displayed. I've noticed that once I get in and reboot the server, the ID comes back. But for reasons unknown, the server ID will change and access is mute. I also use Dameware as another alternative when all else fails. I run it on a workstaton, logged in as an administrator, use it to remote in to again,.get the id and do my job. There is no random issue. Another thing that I notice is that the ID chance usually bounces between two ID's.  As another work around, I create 2 ID's for the servers in question so that I can access them regardless of the change. One of them goes off line and the other ID kicks in. But it's usually just two different ID"s set. Again, after a reboot, the original ID comes back.

• JustAnotherGuy
    JustAnotherGuy Posts: 7 ✭✭

Something funny to add to my previous post.

We literally have a process and internal support documentation to handle Team Viewer's ID changing now.

Whenever one does change, we get the new one over the phone if at all possible, put an asterisk next to the name of the new one and add the suffix "BADID" to the old one and move it into a group called "BAD ID's" just in case something happens and it changes back to the original ID again.

It has become a part of our protocol.

• DDock

Kind of funny... mostly sad. ;)

I feel your pain.

• JustAnotherGuy

**bleep** it.

I'm switching to linux.

• JustAnotherGuy

This is what support had to say about my issue:

I have analyzed your log files and did see a switching ID problem. This can be caused by some factors including multiple NIC cards on the machine that produce multiple IP addresses. When constantly switching between different NICs, it could make TeamViewer to switch the ID.

From the logs you sent, only the machine where the logs was in the folder named [folder-name-redacted], presented the switching ID issue. Looking at the logs, the machine now has a stable ID, but it did switch from the original ID that was set in your office before it was shipped. Like I said, that is caused by the multiple NICs but after it restarts the machine it gets locked to a new ID with our servers, since our servers are constantly looking for this issue and setting a new stable ID for the machine. 

After the fix is applied by our servers, the ID will not change again. In some rare cases where our servers fix doesn't work, and you notice the same machine changing the ID every few days or reboots, just need to provide the logs to our Support Team via ticket, and we can create a manual fix for the issue.

Thank you in advance and please feel free to contact us again with any further questions you may have.

What does that even mean? "A fix applied by our servers"....

• JustAnotherGuy

Nothing?

• Reyhan
    Reyhan Posts: 269 Staff member 🤠

Hi @JustAnotherGuy

Thank you for your contribution. We also received your mail in our ticketsystem, my colleagues responds to your support requests. But until then I have to ask you for some patience. 

Best regards.
    Reyhan

Did my reply answer your question? Please accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
    Reyhan
  • LemShattuck
    LemShattuck Posts: 2 ✭✭

Switching to linux isn't a fix.  I've got the self-same problem with my master linux laptop.

• I have used Teamviewer for years.  It's been great. Very stable.   Last week, a computer suddenly changed ID without any change to the computer otherwise (i.e. no new software installed, no change in network, just one NIC).  Now tonight another computer of ours has a new ID.  I have lots of machines I need to access.  Any help appreciated.

• JustAnotherGuy
    edited January 2023

I feel that the overall problem is really a conflict of business model from what it once was to the present day needs of individuals using the product.

Team Viewer was not designed for "static access" to machines per se. It's original intent appears as though it was geared towards instant support/remote access to someone on the other end of the machine that is in need of assistance. That is why they dynamicallly generate the ID's for the computers, passwords, etc.

This is a big problem. **Third Party Product** doesn't do this. **Third Party Product** doesn't do this. NO remote service on the planet is this unreliable. I feel that Team Viewer needs to get their act together and realize what is going on and resolve this issue for their customer base, or I fear they will begin to slowly dwindle off and die.

We have completely quit relying on this thousands of dollars service we've purchased in favor of a free one that is reliable and won't **bleep** the bed the night before we need it to work.

If they would just implement a fix to the latest version that STOPS an ID from changing once it has been assigned to a machine... WHY on earth would someone WANT an ID to change? The only use case scenario I can imagine is duplicate ID prevention. 

• Fidolido
    edited January 2023

Once Teamviewer is installed, the ID isn't suppose to change. The password does, but not the ID. It's suppose to be associated with the machine in which it was installed and usually doesn't disjoin unless you completely uninstall it. I have a Windows server 2003 on which this happened. I hope my other clients with windows 2008 and 2012 don't experience this as it would be detrimental to my busienss. I have notiece that when installing via a computer with terminal services role loaded, the ID's go nuts. As I've mentioned prior, I use **Third Party Product** and **Third Party Product** as backups. the only problem is these programs can't accommodate dual monitor setups. **Third Party Product** was program I used but was too expensive. But with the current issues with Teamviewer, I'm looking elsewhere as it has become very unreliable. I also got a request for a 'subscription' based service that I believe they may be gearing toward. Right now I am a single tech, and use only one account, but it's difficult as I have a notebook for travel, so that's one license, a main computer, that's a second license, and I haven't decided where to apply the third. I have a cell phone, and a spare office computer so I'd have to purchase 2 licenses to cover up to 6 machines. It would be nice if I could get a license per email account. This way I can use it on any machine as it would be registered and licensed to the Email account and not per machine. This ID change started with Version 12. So there must be something in the install that causes this issue. 

• Fidolido

Then why do you have under the options to launch with windows, and access this machine remotely? If the ID keeps changing for us tech's who need to access systems across the globe, what good is your product if we can not rely on it to maintain it's ID? Whether or not, this softwares INTENT was for remote access. Why do you think we bother? For the money, you offer file transfer on the fly with drag and drop, collabration with other techs, and tech support for customers, and remote printing. You offer IT Brain, and inventory control. If the ID changes, so does the inventory as that machine is now no longer part of the group we setup to monitor.  And if my boss wonders why I can't connect to a client in another state due to this ID change thing, how do you think we're going to rate your product? 

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi there,

Thank you all for your posts in this thread.

I would like to step in and explain, what’s going on: It looks like we are talking about two different topics in this thread:

1. Switching ID: This can be caused by certain factors including multiple NIC cards on the machine that produce multiple IP addresses. For our customers: we can generate a fix so that the ID will not change again. Please contact our Support department directly for assistance (only for license holders). For all free users: Please save both IDs in your Computers & contacts list to guarantee that you always can connect to your devices.
    1. Recent change of ID: Some users reported that some IDs no longer exist. We checked this tendency internally and there seems to have been an issue with the recycling process of old and unused TeamViewer IDs. We found the cause of the problem and can reassure, that this will not happen anymore as it was a one-time incident. After restarting the TeamViewer service on the affected devices, a new ID will be assigned to the device. Please replace the new IDs in your Computers & Contacts list and you can continue to connect to your devices as usual. We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• I'm having the same issue on a debian distro... :\

• I'm having the same problem in my company. After reinstalation TV get same ID as before but after that it changed to some other ID. Most of PCs on my list is offline because ID changed. And i got around 2500 Machines there. 

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Filipczak

In this case please contact our Support department directly. 

Thank you, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Well just to add my process, I've installed an application that checks the TV ID every start-up. If it changes it'll send me back the new ID by mail. (Nom de la machine, previous ID , New ID).

I know it's not clear now but we're dealing with over 500+ machines and now we can't change our strategy.

• JustAnotherGuy

Any chance of sharing this ? :smileyvery-happy:

• itchibahn
    itchibahn Posts: 8 ✭✭

I have Business licensed version 10, and it just happened to me few minutes ago on Win Server 2008.

This issue has happened to me on both Servers w/ dual NICs as well as workstations with single NIC.  Also has happened on Win Server 2008, Win 7, and Win XP. 

I don't have that many clients as some of you do, so I run into this issue maybe one PC in a month or so.  Regardless, it's annoying and unproductive.