Can't wake up from when out of network

fanisp
fanisp Posts: 5
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi all, 

I'm new to teamviewer. Trying to set it up so I can access my macbook when I'm not home from my tablet. I enabled everything (including the settings for wifi wake on the laptop (energy section) and also added the id of the tablet on the wake settings,  but still I''m not able to do  - any tips?

Comments

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @fanisp,

there is a summary of how the WOL mechanism from TeamViewer was conceived.
    In the first steps the following is reported:

Note: It’s not possible to wake up a Mac computer that is fully powered down, as Apple doesn’t allow this. Macs can only be woken up from sleep mode. Windows and Linux PCs, however, can be woken up from sleep and hibernation mode as well as being fully powered down, so long as the hardware supports this. 

Is this your case?

Regards.

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• fanisp
    Thank you

No it's not powered down- just on sleep. I have a Google WiFi router - maybe I have to change a few things there but have no clue what. Even though  when I am home on the same network and try to wake up my MacBook remotely it won't do 
  • DomLan

Well... try to connect your laptop to ethernet port on router instead using WiFi. It works?

Domenico Langone

• fanisp

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. I also did the very same thing with my Imac which is connected to ethernet - it doeesnt awake from teamviewer - is there official support that they respond? 

• DomLan

Hi @fanisp.

As the name of the portal indicates, it is a community. As far as possible, all the components try to offer their support. It is possible that TeamViewer staff members can answer you, but it is possible that the first answer is purely interlocutory and aimed at acquiring more information about your configuration. In three posts it was possible to understand that:
    - you have a mac, without an ethernet port;
    - a Google WiFi router, for which we do not know if you have configured the forwarding of magic packets via UDP on port 9 ... have you taken a look at appendix 7 of the PDF linked to the link provided before?
    - you would not know what to check on your router settings.

However you see it, I would say you are on the right path. The more information you provide to describe your situation, the more likely it is that someone, official or not, can provide you with a solution.

Good luck.

Domenico Langone

• fanisp

This is too complicated for someone that is not an expert - the google wifi router has an option to create a port forward per device - i did for the macbook and forwarded to port 9 - that didn't work either. 

• DomLan

Hi @fanisp

Is not forwarded to but forwarded from. Here istruction for setting forwarding for Google Wi-Fi. Remember that protocol il UDP and device IP is that assigned to your laptop. 

I've found this for you: 

I hope it's not too complicated (read only all david replies... and original question). This refers to the need to update the software of the router in question, and declare port 7 instead port 9.

Domenico Langone

• fanisp

thank you - i tried all these - tried port 7 instead of 9 but nothing. I think I will give up unfortunately :/ 

• DomLan

Hi @fanisp,

could you try to use a different service to verify that your system is correctly configured?
    The site https://w3dt.net/tools/wakeonlan offers this type of service: if you can not wake up your PC from here, I think the problem is external and not related to the TeamViewer product.

Let me know.

Regards.

Domenico Langone