Mojave beta 4 troubleshooting

hb60
hb60 Posts: 5
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi,

I can easily connect my MacbookPro with High Sierra to my iMacPro with Mojave beta 4. I see the screen of the distant Mac, but no way to have control. Security and Privacy System Preferences are correctly enabled.

Any idea ? 

Thank you,

HB

Best Answer

Answers

• bachofen
    bachofen Posts: 3

I can confirm this. It worked with Mojave beta 3, but there seems to be a bug with the Security and Privacy System Preferences now.

I did some research and there doesn't seem to be a way to enable Teamviewer control manually, e.g. via Terminal. It looks like we have to wait for beta 5 and give Feedback to Apple.

• Fixed with Mojave Public Beta 4.

• I am on Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A384a), very latest update, and still have this issue. How do I resolve?

Thanks.

• Go to System Preferences > Security > Privacy > Accessability: Is the checkbox next to TeamViewer_Desktop checked?

• Thanks. Yeah, that's what I thought it would be but it's already checked. I've tried unchecking and rechecking too.

I haven't tried a full uninstall and re-install yet though so maybe that'll sort it.

• I reinstall it on macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A384a). Unfortunately no work yet.
  • Same here, I uninstalled on local and remote machines and it worked once, then the problem returned. Hasn't the beta been out long enough now for this to be resolved?

• The remote machine's screen cannot be woke up, when a new connection coming. But, the machine can be controlled after I light the screen up. Another situation is that when I am using my Mac (already logged in), the machine also can be controlled.
  • I have had this configuration all through beta with no luck but now that Mojave is out of beta I will see if it works, therefore I won't consider this as a solution until it works for me.

• Nope, still not working for me. I've done everything exactly as stated and still no mouse or keyboard input controls. Going to uninstall and reinstall at both ends again and if it still doesn't work then I'll have to give up I guess :(

• Jeremy
    Jeremy Posts: 106 Staff member 🤠

Hi @FriarJnr1971,

Are you now using the public release of macOS 10.14? If you click the Apple icon in the top-left corner and select "About this Mac", does it have the word "Beta" after 10.14 for the version?

Also, can you let me know the exact version of TeamViewer you're using on that Mac. To find this, open the TeamViewer window and select "About TeamViewer" on the TeamViewer menu up the top. I'm interested in knowing the full version number shown there.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Jeremy
    TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
  • hb60

Hi,

Never give up ! It has to work.

J'm installing today Mojave on my iMac Pro, I see if the procedure I propose works or not, it worked with Mojave beta, reinstalling Teamviewer several times with many problems of connection. The only way I succeeded was to disable password for the distant mac.

On the Macbook Pro no problem, with the iMac we will see ...

Sorry for my english, I'm french ...

• hb60

Hello,

No it's with the final release of Mojave,  nevertheless it worked also with Mojave beta.

My version of Teamviewer is 13.2.14328.

As I say in another post, I check if it works also with my iMac Pro, I install Mojave today.

The described procedure worked for my MacBook Pro (Mojave), I can access it from the iMac Pro (High Sierra) and also from my iPhone (IOS 12.1).

I will see if it's OK with Mojave installed on each device.

• Jeremy

Hi @hb60,

Thanks for the info and for checking this on your iMac! We're also investigating this right now too. Our current understanding is that TeamViewer should work on Mojave after you have enabled it in the Accessibility pane of the Security and Privacy settings. So I'm interested to know of situations where this isn't the case.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • I have these problems, too with the public mojave and latest Teamviewer version.

Sometimes it works if I sat directly at the connected computer before. I noticed that Mojave is locked after disconnecting. Then the control seems not to work anymore after the 5th connection at the latest.
    I already made the setting from the thread.

• hb60

With Mojave now on my 2 macs, no problem to connect and take control.

I'd only to give permission in Security and Privacy, no more.

For information, I remember that it worked with Mojave beta only with "easy access" enabled.

• @Jeremy wrote:

Hi @FriarJnr1971,

Are you now using the public release of macOS 10.14? If you click the Apple icon in the top-left corner and select "About this Mac", does it have the word "Beta" after 10.14 for the version?

Also, can you let me know the exact version of TeamViewer you're using on that Mac. To find this, open the TeamViewer window and select "About TeamViewer" on the TeamViewer menu up the top. I'm interested in knowing the full version number shown there.

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes I am experiencing these issues with the public release (Version 10.14) and I am using the latest TeamViewer, it says no updates available (13.2.14328).

Under Privacy in security & Privacy I have TeamViewer, TeamViewer_Desktop & TeamViewer_Service all in there and ticked.

I am able to supply additional information though, when I tried to connect the screen I was presented with was my iMac unlocked, as I had left it in the morning. Yet when I returned in the evening, it was at the login screen and the password field was filled with numerous characters suggesting that my key strokes were being sent but the screen wasn't refreshing and the return key not being registered!

The machine I am trying to connect from is running macOS 10.13.6 and TeamViewer 13.2.14328.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

• @hb60 wrote:

Hi,

Never give up ! It has to work.

J'm installing today Mojave on my iMac Pro, I see if the procedure I propose works or not, it worked with Mojave beta, reinstalling Teamviewer several times with many problems of connection. The only way I succeeded was to disable password for the distant mac.

On the Macbook Pro no problem, with the iMac we will see ...

Sorry for my english, I'm french ...

Hi,

No worries, appreciate the suggestions and your English is much better than my French :)

I have tried disabling the lock screen on the remote iMac, still with no luck :(

• Yay! This fixed my issues that I was having.
    I could connect to my Mac but not click on anything on the Mac. Now everything works as it should!

• @WestTechNYC wrote:
    Yay! This fixed my issues that I was having.
    I could connect to my Mac but not click on anything on the Mac. Now everything works as it should!

Glad it's working for you, I'm still having no luck and the suggestions to fix seem to have dried up. I may have to seek alternative solutions :(

• Here is my solution.

1, Uninstall the TeamViewer in its Preference -> Advanced -> Uninstall,  uninstall TV with the option "delete the config"checked.

2, Install the latest version TV.

3, Connect the TV using another TV client on iOS or Mac or Windows.

4, There will be a alert for adding the "TeamViewer_Desktop" to Prefs>Security>Privacy>Accessibility. Allow it.

5, When screen is highted you can connect the Mac for free. But when the screen is locked (blank), your first connection still cannot open the display of your Mac. Close the connection and connect it again, the display will be On and you can control your Mac again. 

• Jeremy

Hi everyone,

We've just published a new Knowledge Base article which explains how to configure Macs running macOS 10.14 to allow TeamViewer to control them. You can find it here:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-control-a-Mac-running-macOS-10-14-Mojave/ta-p/44699

I hope that helps everyone to figure out how to get it working!

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • Jeremy

Hi @FriarJnr1971,

If you're still not able to control the remote Mac after following the instructions in our new KB article, can you please try the following steps and see if it helps?...

First, remove all references to TeamViewer from the Privacy pane, as follows:

1. Go to System Preferences, then Security & Privacy, then Privacy, then Accessibility.
    2. Select each TeamViewer entry there and remove it by clicking the button underneath with the minus symbol. So, "TeamViewer" and "TeamViewer_Desktop" and "TeamViewer_Service".

Next, fully uninstall TeamViewer as folows:

1. Open the TeamViewer window, click the TeamViewer menu and go to Preferences.
    2. Go to the Advanced tab and scroll to the very bottom.
    3. Click the Uninstall button.

Next, download and install TeamViewer once more: www.teamviewer.com/download.

Once installed, connect to the Mac from another computer. You should now get the Accessibility Access dialog. Or if not, you should be able to go back to the Privacy pane in Security & Privacy settings, and add TeamViewer back there, as described in the Knowledge Base article.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • this worked for me but just had to add the app, not the desktop_something

• I did that but still no luck.

I can connect to the Mac if i controlled it right before but after some time of inactivity and after the lock out via teamviewer i can only connect and see the login screen but i can not controle it anymore.

• @Jeremy wrote:

Hi @FriarJnr1971,

If you're still not able to control the remote Mac after following the instructions in our new KB article, can you please try the following steps and see if it helps?...

1. Go to System Preferences, then Security & Privacy, then Privacy, then Accessibility.
    2. Select each TeamViewer entry there and remove it by clicking the button underneath with the minus symbol. So, "TeamViewer" and "TeamViewer_Desktop" and "TeamViewer_Service".

Once installed, connect to the Mac from another computer. You should now get the Accessibility Access dialog. Or if not, you should be able to go back to the Privacy pane in Security & Privacy settings, and add TeamViewer back there, as described in the Knowledge Base article.

Hi,

I have tried all this several times and still with no luck, however in a round about way I have got it to work.

If I try to connect via my local iMac, I am presented with the active desktop of the remote iMac, despite the fact that I left the remote iMac on the lock screen, but I have no control! However, if I try to connect from my iPad, I am presented with the lock screen (as I'd expect) and I can enter my credential and take control as expected. Now what is really weird is that if I then close the connection and try again via the iMac, I am then presented with the lock screen but this time I CAN enter my credentials and take control, how weird!

Connecting 1st via the iPad seems to 'unjam' the issue?! Connection via the iMac will continue to work until I try again the following day.

I have tried all suggestions to fix this issue on both the local and remote iMac so really not sure as to where the issue is.

Any further suggestions or shall I just keep the iPad handy :)

Thanks.

• @FriarJnr1971 wrote:

@Jeremy wrote:

Hi @FriarJnr1971,

Hi,

I have tried all this several times and still with no luck, however in a round about way I have got it to work.

If I try to connect via my local iMac, I am presented with the active desktop of the remote iMac, despite the fact that I left the remote iMac on the lock screen, but I have no control! However, if I try to connect from my iPad, I am presented with the lock screen (as I'd expect) and I can enter my credential and take control as expected. Now what is really weird is that if I then close the connection and try again via the iMac, I am then presented with the lock screen but this time I CAN enter my credentials and take control, how weird!

Connecting 1st via the iPad seems to 'unjam' the issue?! Connection via the iMac will continue to work until I try again the following day.

I have tried all suggestions to fix this issue on both the local and remote iMac so really not sure as to where the issue is.

Any further suggestions or shall I just keep the iPad handy :)

Thanks.

OK, update. It's now stopped working on iPad too :(

When I connect I'm presented with the desktop and not the login screen.

Think I'll have to look elsewhere for a replacement to TeamViewer as I've tried everything with no luck :smileyfrustrated:

• Jeremy

Hi @FriarJnr1971,

Can you try this: open TeamViewer and go to Preferences, then check "Run TeamViewer as System" and apply the change. TeamViewer will restart. The next time an incoming connection is received on the Mac, you'll probably have another dialog box appear which asks you to grant access to "TeamViewer_Desktop", which you should do.

Then - after you've confirmed that "TeamViewer_Desktop" has been enabled in the Privacy pane in System Settings - try to reproduce the issue, ie. by connecting to this Mac while the Mac is showing the lock screen. I'd like to know if running TeamViewer as System makes any difference to your ability to control the Mac from the lock screen.

I've tried to reproduce this myself - connecting to a remote Mac while it was showing the lock screen, or connecting to it while it was completely logged out of the user account - and it worked correctly every time, allowing me to enter my credentials into the remote Mac to unlock it. At no time did it show me the active desktop of the remote Mac when the remote Mac was actually locked. So at the moment I'm not sure why you're having this experience. Perhaps there is some other factor on your Mac causing this to happen.

I hope you're able to get it working. Unfortunately this new security mechanism that Apple have introduced with macOS 10.14 - which requires you to grant access before your Mac can be controlled - affects all remote control software, not only TeamViewer.

Regards,
    Jeremy
  • I already have granted access to TeamViewer_Desktop but still have these problems.

The first or second connection always runs OK but after some hours of inactivity (while i´m not connected and also no one is using the mac) i will have these problems again after next connection. I keep the mac online with the app amphetamine in the meanwhile.

Greetings

Stefan