No sound from remote computer

Bear
Bear Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

I'm not sure why but I have no sound from my mac mini to my pc.

What can be done?

Best Answer

Answers

• MarcusHedges
    MarcusHedges Posts: 1

Is there any update on this? In desperate need of remote access with sound for my Mac

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi MarcusHedges,

Unfortunately, as I mentioned there are technical restrictions that make this difficult.

As far as I know, this is not on the roadmap at the moment and is not in development.
    Windows is the only OS that has remote sound.

Sorry for the disappointment.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • gendalf
    gendalf Posts: 2

Hi,

I am connected to my home PC (Win10) from work PC (Win10) and I have no sound from home PC, but I am experiencing this problem for only 5-6 weeks, in March 2018 everything was just fine.Teamviewer 13.1.3629 is on both PCs, remote sound is enabled. Is there anything else I should do to enable the sound?

Thanks a lot, GenDalf

• What if you are connecting mac OS to mac OS?  Then can you get remote sound?

• Scotty

Hi @Teriuwlax

No, unfortunately not.

It is not a problem of compatibility between devices, it is not possible for us to record the sound from a Mac. Remote sound is only a feature when connecting to a Windows device.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • Can you do voice over ip conference calls with macs?  If so, shouldn't the microphone pick up the computer's sound?

• Scotty

Hi @Teriuwlax

It might? It would sound terrible but it might.
    In any case, this isn't really an intended use of that feature.

I mean, you could get a 3.5mm Aux cord, plug it into the headphone jack then back into the microphone jack and start a VoIP call if you really wanted to... but no guarantee that would work as many devices have feedback suppression.

Not to mention that would be really dodgy...

In any case, officially it is not supported by our software sorry.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator

• @Scotty wrote:

It is not a problem of compatibility between devices, it is not possible for us to record the sound from a Mac. Remote sound is only a feature when connecting to a Windows device.

-Scotty

Hi Scotty,

I am connecting from an Android Teamviewer to a remote PC's Windows 10 Teamviewer. 
    My Windows 10 Teamviewer version is the latest 14.0.13880 
    My Android Teamviewer version is 14.0.68CL

The sound for the connection using Teamviewer ID (Internet) is working without problem.
    But, when I used IP (Intranet or LAN) connection, I couldn't  receive any sound from remote pc.

Appreciate any help.

./Tony

• Scotty

@Tonygts

Unfortunately, Audio over LAN does not work in any scenario. It only works through connections connected with a TeamViewer ID.

Regards,
    Scotty

Senior Moderator
  • Thanks Scotty. Any plan for implementing audio over lan feature? 

• **Third Party Product** Remote Control allows audio, why cant it be done with Teamviewer. I would rather use teamviewer because it is free to connect for personal use anywhere.

• mparker
    mparker Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I use a program called loopback 2. It’s a little tricky as I need to VNC to the computer to then unmute the mic in the teamviewer side panel (it’s blocked when accessing through teamviewer) but it allows me to even edit video over my connection with audio in real time!
  • @mparker,
    May I know what is VNC?
  • Aeon
    Aeon Posts: 1
  • ChevyNovaLN
    ChevyNovaLN Posts: 6 ✭✭

Sounds to me like TeamViewer needs to install a virtual sound device so users have the option to choose that as their audio output instead within Mac OS... and then the TeamViewer service could transmit anything sent through it.   

If nothing else, at least ask users.. upon connecting to Mac OS remote systems whether or not you would like to mute audio on the remote PC.   Scared the **bleep** out of my wife because i left my speakers turned up and when i connected to my Mac remotely and audio played, she was startled.   

Brian.

• you could get a 3.5mm Aux cord, plug it into the headphone jack then back into the microphone jack and start a VoIP call if you really wanted to... but no guarantee that would work as many devices have feedback suppression.

• Maikeru
    Maikeru Posts: 2 ✭✭
    This is **bleep**. I went searching for other software after this problem is still not resolved and found **Third Party Product** which is able to stream video and audio from mojave mac to my windows 10 pc with a driver install. It's definitely solvable
  • @Scotty 

I'm not a developer by any means, but I've been getting around this issue by using Soundflower. I send my programs audio OUTPUT into Soundflower, then use Soundflower as the mic INPUT on the remote mac (like it's a meeting)

The issue being that I can't start sending the audio from my remote computer, so I've had to resort to using skype as a seperate audio service to go along with the teamviewer visuals.

• Scotty

Hi All,

I am aware there are a lot of workarounds.
    But put bluntly, this is not currently a feature and it is not currently on the roadmap.

Feel free to add a request to our ideas board.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
  • mparker
    Well Scotty, thanks for those words of wisdom. I guess we will have to find better alternatives that don’t charge us out the **bleep** for a sub-par product. I don’t believe the people here are asking for anything crazy. To be able to easily turn on remote sound without needing to VNC in apart from teamviewer is all we would need to resolve all of these issues.
  • Scotty

Hi mparker,

Thanks for posting.

I understand your frustration, but this was never a feature that we offered sorry.You can add this to our ideas board, but I cannot simply implement this feature for you.

Remote sound is only available to Windows devices and this is the way it was designed.
    I am sorry for any inconvenience.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
  • While using the free version of TeamViewer, I am unable to hear the sounds from the computer I am remotely connected to. Software on both computers is up to date, and the option to "Play computer sounds and music" has been selected on both computers. Both computers are iMacs. One is running Mojave, while the other is running High Sierra.

Is there something I need to do in the computer's audio settings, such as selecting an output source, in order for this to work? Is this feature not available in the free version?

• I'm now running TeamViewer 15.1.3937 (free) on two Windows 10 Home computers on the same WiFi subnet. I've tried all settings and tricks found on these forums but there's still no sound coming through from the client. Where to go next?

• viko2006
    viko2006 Posts: 1

Hello

I'm trying to activate the Computer Sound in the Audio/Video control tab but there if no option.
    the Computer Sound option appears gray and i cannot enable it.

anyone can advice why?

Thanks

• Hi Scotty, I am very frustrated as it has been months now that I don't get to use my account properly.  I bought a license but my account shows Free which limits me.  I need to get access to a computer at my office but it keeps kicking me out, asking me to buy

• FlorenceJ
    FlorenceJ Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hello, I am triying the free version of Team Viewer to check out if this can be a good tool for our working team. Unforntunately we didn't manage to hearthe sound from the remote computer so I checked on the forum and found this post. You worte in 2018 that it didn't work on Mac OS. Is it still the case ? Sadly, It will be useless to continue trying it, for us, if it would be this way...

• Maikeru
    Maikeru Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited June 2023

Apple unfortunaltey makes it pretty difficult to do this so its not necesserily Teamviewers fault but no it doesn't seem to be supported, at least last time I tried 6 months ago. I was able to transfer audio through the mic using a program named Soundflower but that was pretty buggy. There are few competitors out there that have put the effort into working around Apple's restrictions though. Unfortunately mentions of competitors names on this forum are removed so I can't give the name [removed per Community Guidelines]

• mparker

I believe sound flower is now loop back.  Also look at audio hijack

• FlorenceJ
    FlorenceJ Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited June 2023

you for your fats and kind response, it will save me a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Such a shame that Apple doesn't make it easy...

@Maikeru wrote:

Apple unfortunaltey makes it pretty difficult to do this so its not necesserily Teamviewers fault but no it doesn't seem to be supported, at least last time I tried 6 months ago. I was able to transfer audio through the mic using a program named Soundflower but that was pretty buggy. There are few competitors out there that have put the effort into working around Apple's restrictions though. Unfortunately mentions of competitors names on this forum are removed so I can't give the name [removed per Community Guidelines]