Posted by DSperber
Trigon

Why does remote connection from phone to PC trigger popup on PC to allow?

So I have Team Viewer 14.6.236 CL installed on my Samsung S10. I can connect to all of the PC's on my "team", but only after the popup confirmation on the remote host PC asking if it's ok to allow the remote connection from my phone is replied to in the affirmative.

I do not get this confirmation popup when connecting from one PC to another PC. Only when connecting from my phone to .a PC.

Is there a setting somewhere, either on the phone app or on the host PC, which is forcing this confirmation of authorization on the host PC to allow the connection from the phone client?

The reason this is problematic is that if I'm trying to connect to my own PC from my phone while out of the house, there's no way I can reply OK on my host PC at home since I'm out and with my phone. So that means I can never connect to my own home PC from my own phone!  That is exactly what I want to do, but can't.

Also, if I want to connect to a team PC at off-hours and again there's nobody there to reply OK, I can't connect to that PC either.

Obviously this configuration is undesirable, although somebody at TV clearly thinks this is "good and secure".  Maybe, but only if somebody is at the remote PC to reply OK.  Otherwise, it is 100% infuriating and completely disables the whole point of remote unattended connectivity.

Where is the setting I'm looking for, either on the phone or PC? I certainly can't find it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Posted by DSperber
Trigon
Solution

Re: Why does remote connection from phone to PC trigger popup on PC to allow?

Ok. Figured it out.

Note that the Android version of TV app seems to present a different connection presentation than your screenshot and verbal descriptions.

Turns out I was clicking on the "connect" button at the right side of a target host line, and it seems that by default this was taking the "remote connection (prompt for confirmation)" path, at least the very first time I remotely connected.

But if I tap on the name of the target host line, i.e. in the middle of the line, it expands and offers be the two choices: "remote control (using password)" or "remote control (prompt for confirmation)". Turns out the first one will (as I want) use the stored password and won't actually bother me for any password input, but will simply connect using that stored password.

This is apparently all first-time processing because after that first choice and first connection everything now seems to be remembered. The next time I want to connect to that same target host I can simply tap on the connect icon at the right side of the line (i.e. the same one which the first time took the "prompt for confirmation" default route) and now it will simply take the "using password" route as I wanted originally, now connecting without any prompt on the remote host screen to allow me to connect.

I may not be 100% correct in my explanation or reasoning. But now that I've seen how to expand the connection entry and that there were two connection options available, and connected to each of my team target hosts once, I now am no longer getting any hesitation in the connection even when tapping on that same right connection icon which had caused me a problem the very first time I used it. Appears to be a first-time-only "security" issue, if you didn't know you could expand and then select "using password" that very first time as well.

TV-app_connect-screen.jpg

5 Replies
Posted by DesertRat
Henagon

When connecting with a mobile device you are given two choices to connect with.  One requires the remote system to authenticate your connection.  Besure to choose the one that does not require remote authentication.  I do not think the choice with authentication should be included.

Posted by DSperber
Trigon

I'm not following you.

Where am I given two choices to connect with?  Is there a setting in the phone app you're referring to? Where is it, and what is it called?

Is it a setting on the target host PC?  If so, where and what is it called?

Is it just something that happens the very first time you connect to any remote host from the phone app?  This is still a terrible obstacle.

Please clarify. Thanks.

Posted by DesertRat
Henagon

This is a screen shot, at least on all my mobile apps, there are two connect choices.  Always use the second one, you will notice the first one as circled below requires action on the other system.  Makes no sense to me, just don't use it.  ALL of my PC's are even set for "Easy Access" - but if I select the wrong one below, I don't get in.

Image-1.jpg

Posted by saweone
Photon

There is a connection sign. Instead of choosing an option, you can easily click on connect sign.

Highlighted
Posted by DSperber
Trigon
Solution

Ok. Figured it out.

Note that the Android version of TV app seems to present a different connection presentation than your screenshot and verbal descriptions.

Turns out I was clicking on the "connect" button at the right side of a target host line, and it seems that by default this was taking the "remote connection (prompt for confirmation)" path, at least the very first time I remotely connected.

But if I tap on the name of the target host line, i.e. in the middle of the line, it expands and offers be the two choices: "remote control (using password)" or "remote control (prompt for confirmation)". Turns out the first one will (as I want) use the stored password and won't actually bother me for any password input, but will simply connect using that stored password.

This is apparently all first-time processing because after that first choice and first connection everything now seems to be remembered. The next time I want to connect to that same target host I can simply tap on the connect icon at the right side of the line (i.e. the same one which the first time took the "prompt for confirmation" default route) and now it will simply take the "using password" route as I wanted originally, now connecting without any prompt on the remote host screen to allow me to connect.

I may not be 100% correct in my explanation or reasoning. But now that I've seen how to expand the connection entry and that there were two connection options available, and connected to each of my team target hosts once, I now am no longer getting any hesitation in the connection even when tapping on that same right connection icon which had caused me a problem the very first time I used it. Appears to be a first-time-only "security" issue, if you didn't know you could expand and then select "using password" that very first time as well.

TV-app_connect-screen.jpg