Change group owner

You can change the owner of an already created group?

Best Answer

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓

It is unfortunately not possible to transfer ownership from one account to the other.

The group(s) has to be managed from the account that created the group.

Community Manager

Answers

• UHT_Support
    UHT_Support Posts: 3 ✭✭

I am also seeking to see if there is way to change the owner of a group.

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately no, there is no way to change the owner of a group. However if you share the group with full control, the devices can be moved into a group owned by a new person. This will also change the assignment on the remote end.

I hope this answers your question.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • lahrens
    lahrens Posts: 1

I need to change owner on groups that were created by a technician who no longer works here. How can I transfer ownship of our Teamviewer groups?  I have permissions to all groups, however, I dont see the option to change owner.

• sjames90
    sjames90 Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have had my free TV account for a very long time and have several groups I organize my comptuers in. Recently I tried moving a computer account into a different group and was told I did not own it. When logging into the web portal I see the cloud icon next to the group showing that it is supposedly "shared". However when I look at the owner of the group it shows my name, it shows my first name as the owner. The only thing I can think of is that I created the account during the trial that I had a full license and when the trial expired, all of a sudden it doesn't recognize my same account as the owner? Any ideas?

• netpoint
    netpoint Posts: 1

Hi,

our technician leave the company but he was the owner of some groups. I need a possibility to chance the owner of the group.

my best Walter

• sjames90
    sjames90 Posts: 2 ✭✭

A year later, no response. Really would like to get this fixed if possible. I'm sure it's a quick thing for a TV associate to manage. But they show no love for free users.

• upatrono
    upatrono Posts: 6 ✭✭

Recently I removed an account which was owner of all groups in my TV console. Notification told me that all admin rights would trasnfer to my new account but looks like group ownership hasn't passed to me and I can do nothing about it. In group properties my new user is not listed to assign privileges to.

I created a ticket but support aint answering just like their call centre.

Any ideas?

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi @upatrono,

Thank you for your message.

Transferring admin rights does not mean, that you have automatically access to the groups of the account. Groups and the included computer and contacts are personal data, that is NEVER shared automatically. 

Do you have access to the removed account or are you in contact with the account owner? If so, please ask him to share the groups with you. If you have full access afterwards, you can move the computer and contacts in a local group of yourself. 

Hope this could help. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. 

All the best,
    Natascha. 

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• upatrono
    upatrono Posts: 6 ✭✭

I was the previous and the new owner, I just removed the old account and wanted to transfer all admin rights to another existing one. The other account is removed.

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Thanks for the reply. 

If you remove an email address from the Management Console, the account won't be deleted. 

So, you are still able to log in with the "old" email address. There is just no license active anymore. 

Hope this could help. Please contact me again, if there are further questions. 

All the best,
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• Will there be a way in the futur to change the ownership of a group? Thanks

• Chr
    Chr Posts: 8 ✭✭

How are TeamViewer coming to the conclution that there should only be one owner of a group, and as asked elsewhere without answer, what do we do if the user that was group owner now has been deleted?

I want to add all new users as access by default to groups as well. This of-course is so fundamental that it's scarry it's currently not supported.

@Scotty wrote:

Unfortunately no, there is no way to change the owner of a group. However if you share the group with full control, the devices can be moved into a group owned by a new person. This will also change the assignment on the remote end.

I hope this answers your question.

That answer is simpy inaduaqate and borderline insulting to your customers

• 123edv
    123edv Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited April 2021

Hello!

As a member of our company left, there were some groups unshared. Now we cannot access the groups any more as he still is the owner but deleted. How can we take over posession to set new shares?

Thank you

Julian

• JeanK

Hello @123edv,

As described in our article, if the group owner account gets deleted, all the data gets deleted as well and it is, unfortunately, not possible to restore the data.

⚠Caution: When deleting your TeamViewer account, your entire account - including all the data it contains - will be permanently deleted. This includes all of the groups you own and the computers and contacts inside them. This data cannot be recovered later!

You will have to create a new group.

💡 Hint: To avoid this in the future, we recommend creating the groups with a generic account.

Community Manager

• 123edv
    123edv Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thank you. And how can we take over ownership by an existing account?

• JeanK
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓

It is unfortunately not possible to transfer ownership from one account to the other.

The group(s) has to be managed from the account that created the group.

Community Manager

• Aquila
    Aquila Posts: 1

This is so absurd!!! I am the owner of my company and had my first full time employee onboard a client. Oddly, I couldn't find the TeamViewer entry for the client. He had to add me as a contact and then share the group out to me. He couldn't even share the group out to me until he added me as a contact! I am the owner of the account!!! This is truly asinine and almost untenable. Give me a break TeamViewer! No other IT product I use has this bottom up approach to permissions. How did you come up with this?

• Pmartin
    Pmartin Posts: 1

Agree, we're moving away soon as a result of this!

• JH4444
    JH4444 Posts: 1

It is ridiculous that an account administrator cannot take ownership of computers from another user account within the same license. It's a big reason of why we are shifting away from this product.

• henigma00
    henigma00 Posts: 2 ✭✭

What is the fastest and easiest way to change the group ownership of a group that was created by a technician that is no longer with the company? It seems that I'm hitting road blocks left and right in doing so. Thanks for any help you can provide.

• JuanCabrio
    JuanCabrio Posts: 2 ✭✭

There are quite a few ridiculous design flaws in this product. Multiuser and security features are poorly designed addons. I just have too many out there to realistically change to a competitors product.. If you were starting fresh, there is no way you would use TV.

• JuanCabrio
    JuanCabrio Posts: 2 ✭✭

if you create a new group and move hosts to the new group I think that does the trick. I’m trying that out.

• Consertis
    Consertis Posts: 1

Ok, in general this is just crazy.

BUT as a workaround: you can reset the the PW for every user and change the users emailaddress. So when a user leaves the company you can reset that information and takover that account.

Hope that could can somewhat help.

• ProtocolSA
    ProtocolSA Posts: 1

It is ridiculous, as a Company Administrator we cannot take ownership, this MUST be resolved, because all the work done by an employee is lost because of the lack of function of "take ownership" from a group. Please consider that a customer are using tools to simplify management and not to complicate the management each time a employee left the company.

• Josh_B
    Josh_B Posts: 7 ✭✭

Same issue here.

Employee left the company. He initially started to implement TV many years ago into our workflow. As a result he owns a bunch of groups and devices. Now what? Those groups and devices stay with that user for ever?

Dear TeamViewer-Team,

have you EVER worked with your own software? Lately it seems as if there are people involved in decision making and development that have never once used TeamViewer in productive and enterprise use-cases....

This is absolutely hilarious..