Display brightness function lost after install of monitor driver

I think there may be a bug in Team Viewer 12. I have a Lenovo T420s laptop and I recently installed the monitor driver in order have the ability to disable the screen. By installing the monitor driver I lost the ability the adjust the brightness on my screen. Have you received any other reports regarding the same?

Best Answer

Answers

• bartlanz
    bartlanz Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I just tested this on my Dell Precision M6800 and I can confirm what you are saying! I install the driver my screen brighness adjustment keys stop working, Reboot system, Continues to not work, uninstall the driver it returns. @Jonathan @Esther Where is the best place for me to submit a bug that has been found?

If my post was helpful, Please throw me a Kudos.
    If my post fixed your issue, please mark it as the solution to help the next person find a solution quickly.
    Bart Lanzillotti
  • Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @Gerardv514 @bartlanz,

Thank you for posting this.

I can confirm, that the behaviour is a known issue in the software. As you probably know, we use drivers for the black screen function that needs to be installed when you want to use it. As a work-around for the moment, I can just recommend to uninstall the monitor driver.

To answer the other question: It is enough, if you just post the topic with your findings since we are reading all posts in our Community :-) And so we check all reported issues with our support and devs.

It would be very helpful for us to track the issue, when all effected users click on "Me too" in the initial post from Gerald.

Thank you all and have a nice day, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Gerardv514
    Gerardv514 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    So will this matter eventually be addressed? Or is this presumably the way it's supposed to work?
  • Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi again,

The issue is already addressed internally, but I cannot tell you when there will be a fix available.

Thank you once again for your post and have a nice weekend,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• I have this issue in 8 laptops, hp, and i need this to be fixed soon, i'm using windows 10 creators update, anything we can help you with?

• I just experienced this problem when installing the TV 11 monitor driver on a couple new Surface Books.  Both with the Creator's update.  Looking forward to a fix.

Thanks.

• This has been an ongoing problem as far back as TV9 (possibly earlier, but I can't tell).

3 versions later, and the display driver breaking brightness control is still not fixed, although TV acklnolwedges this problem though.

• Gerardv514

WOW! Really?

• Lenovo G510 same problem

• If you didn't know how to uninstall the TeamViewer Monitor driver and your eyes are burning like mine ones, read the posts  e.g. here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/17683-cant-adjust-screen-brightness-help-5.html from stsaerox.

Basically, all you need to do is rollback all your monitor drivers from the Device Manager.

• JoRED
    JoRED Posts: 1

Surface Pro 3 - same problem!

we have a lot of these devices (Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, Surface Book 2) to maintain - this issue is a show stopper!

• Vik
    Vik Posts: 1

Hi,

any updates on the fix? 

Can you provide an ETA for beta / release availability?

Thanks

• But with the TV display driver uninstalled, you can no longer black out the display on demand from the TV client end.

This is a design issue. To achieve the blank screen on demand, TV has chosen to turn off the back light on LED panels, and I'm guessing in order to prevent the host-end user from turning the display back on, TV had to lock down on the display brightness keys.

So until TV figures out another way to turn off the display without using the brightness trick and subsequently needing to lock down on the brightness keys, we are all stuck either with a constant brightness setting, or no blank screens while supporting.

• Thank you very much, this solved the problem with the brightness function at all.

Unfortunatly there is a option in the Teamviewer extended settings to uninstall the monitor driver, but it does not work!

@User51973-Team: Please fix this bug, that the driver can be uninstalled in the extended settings, much better would be a question to install your drivers at the main install or not ... But thank you very much for this very good program, greeting to GP ;-)

Your Teamviewer-Fan

• I've also noticed that even after changing or removing the Monitor driver, anytime Teamviewer connects, it can revert back if "Black Screen" is used.  Now that I know what is causing the issue, its easy to open the Device Manager and fix it, but it would be better if there was a more permanent fix. 

• setsmi
    setsmi Posts: 1

Teamviewer 13 on a Satellite P75. In the Teamviewer Options/Advanced settings there is an Uninstall button for the display driver. Worked as advertised and removed the driver and brightness controls came back. It will come back if I request Teamviewer to turn off the screen when I am connected to it remotely and authorize the Teamviewer display driver to take over again.

• dcp
    dcp Posts: 1

@dedicado's solution is is what worked for me on a Lenovo X1 Carbon 2015. Thanks!!

• LarryB
    LarryB Posts: 2

Are you kidding me??? This has been an issue for me for a long while. Typically I use my laptop with normal brightness but every time I wanted to use my laptop in my bed at night the glaring brightness would cause me to have to close it up early or leave the room in order to avoid annoying my wife. It's absurd that @User51973 does not warn of this issue when turning on the "show black screen" option. This warning should pop-up every time until this bug is resolved! Think about this, we're in IT. Everyone in this thread most likely stumbled upon this the same way I did. Went to device manager and noticed something weird about the manufacturer and digital signer: TeamViewer GMBH. I don't change my display brightness enough to notice the moment it stopped working. For those of you that did, good catch! Had I cared more, I may have paid more attention and found the issue sooner. TeamViewer, millions of other users are having this issue and are not even realizing that you broke their environment. You have a responsibility to say something about this to ALL of your customers.

• Gerardv514

This issue had taken me forever to narrow down the cause. I literrally was ripping my computer apart by uninstalling recently installed applications, even windows update. The biggest concern here is that others maybe doing the same thing. There should be a disclaimer when installing the monitor driver so that people know the source of the issue is. Luckily I did not wreck or corrupt anything on my computer when attempting to find the source of the issue.

• Kittipat
    Kittipat Posts: 1
    Me too, I lost ability to adjust brightness function on Lenovo IdeaPad G40-45 and there is only one way for recovering this function back to normal again (Maybe you'll lost some data that changed on System Recovery turned on by any drive), Just using "System Recovery" on Control Panel.
    For now I can't find Display Driver on anywhere on any settings, so using System Recovery you must be remembered the date of this happened (Use the restore point that before happened on any restore points).
    ========
    Now, I using System Recovery and selected restore point that I created before the date of install Display Driver on my Laptop.

Please reply this message if this suggest working for you and got ability to adjust brightness function back again :D
  • Jacob1
    Jacob1 Posts: 3

I found out how to fix the problem!!

Just go to Extras>Options>Advanced>Show Advanced Options>Scroll down to "Advanced Network options" and click "Uninstall monitor driver".

Then reboot the computer and you should be fine! :-)

• iTeks
    iTeks Posts: 3 ✭✭

Same problems here!

What may work is if there is a commandline or switch/button to toggle between installaing and uninstalling the monitor driver on the fly. 

Anyone know a commandline to install and uninstall the monitor driver?

• Jacob1

No, but if you follow the steps I gave you, you will find the install/uninstall toggle button.

• Thank you SO much for posting this solution. Switching the monitor driver to Generic PnP did the trick for me. I've been researching this for days, but never once came across a suggestion the monitor driver could be the issue. My attention (like others) was on the graphics driver, Quickset, WIndows Mobility Center, etc. So in ten seconds this morning, the brightness slider is back and the function keys work again.

FYI, this worked on a Dell Inspiron 7368 laptop, Windows 10.

Have a terrific day!

• Kolossus
    Kolossus Posts: 1

@Gerardv514 wrote:

This issue had taken me forever to narrow down the cause. I literrally was ripping my computer apart by uninstalling recently installed applications, even windows update. The biggest concern here is that others maybe doing the same thing. There should be a disclaimer when installing the monitor driver so that people know the source of the issue is. Luckily I did not wreck or corrupt anything on my computer when attempting to find the source of the issue.

@Gerardv514 wrote:

@Gerardv514 wrote:

Same here bro. Was ripping of my hair while trying to figure out **bleep** happened to my brightness. Reinstalled video driver, system restored my pc......basically lost a full day on this nonsense. I agree with the desclaimer.

TV, get your act together and since you can't fix the issue, add the danm desclaimer when you ask to install the monitor driver. It will avoid angry people in the future......including myself

• Jacob1

Your Welcome!!

FYI this will work on ANY computer.

• stan1
    stan1 Posts: 7

I am running latest Teamviewer 13, Windows 10 Spring update, on a Dell XPS 13 9350 notebook. Teamviewer is disabling my display brightness controls. Cannot change brightness. Uninstalling TeamViewer fixes problem. I want to use TeamViewer, but I need my display brightness controls. Suggestions?

• stan1
    stan1 Posts: 7
    Same problem on my Dell XPS 13 9350
  • iTeks
    iTeks Posts: 3 ✭✭

the only way I have found is to disable the monitor driver temporarily then re-enable it

I've suggested to Teamviewer support that adding a button to disable then re-enable the display driver would be a workaround however they have yet to add that feature

you would expect better support from sucha  great product