Do not know password for team viewer. Cannot remote login or grant access

I was using Teamviewer for IT purposes when the Tech wanted to login. The password was always there.  I do not know what happened but it must have been set to something else.  I do not know the password.  When I go to options it asks for a password to access but I do not know what it is.  I cannot remote login because I do not know the password.

Is there a way to reset the password?  Have tried uninstall and reinstall but same ID pops up with no password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi colienuts,

Thanks for your post!

From your description, I think that there is 2 things I can explain here;

Firstly, you can make TeamViewer show a "Random" password on the front of the software by going to Extras > Options > Security, once here you need to change the "Random password" strength. I would reccomend "Secure (6 Characters)".

Secondly, in this window, the password up the top is not a password you need to know, this is where you set your password to access your device when you are elsewhere.

Because the password on the front of the software changes, the "personal password" is not displayed but stays the same. This way you can access your device remotely without someone being there to read the "Random Password" to you.

I hope this fixes this for you.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • colienuts
    colienuts Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thank you for your message but this does not fix the problem because I cannot login to options because it is password protected and I do not know the password.  So I cannot set a password.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it keeps the same login credentials.

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi colienuts,

Changing these options is the fix for this problem, but the options must have been locked by the original installer or someone afterwards.

Do you know who the settings may have been locked by? If the options are locked, then there is no way to change the password as this is the purpose of a settings lock. It stops any user who does not know the password from making modifications to any settings.

The only way to remove this options password is to uninstall and be sure to click "remove all settings" if you are on a windows device, or delete the appdata from the library if you are using a Mac.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • wrong answer same issue here... even after uninstalling/reinstalling.