Announcements

TeamViewer IoT is hiring! Check out the open positions here!

Highlighted
Posted by lbellino
Henagon

Existing Teamviewer ID on new computer?

Hello.

I recently had to get a new computer because my old one no longer worked, but I had a teamviewer ID on that old computer, as well as an online account that was associated with it on the Teamviewer website. Is there a way I can use that original teamviewer ID wth my new computer, instead of a new one? And if I can, how do I change it on my new computer, since it gave me a new one when I downloaded the software to it? Thanks for your help.

5 Replies
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by Former Staff Katharina
Former Staff
Solution

Re: Existing Teamviewer ID on new computer?

Hi lbellino, 

Thank you for your post. 

The TeamViewer ID is generated on the basis of various hardware and software identifiers from the computer itself. Every TeamViewer ID is unique and attached to a specific device.

Think of it as a telephone number: it helps our servers identify your device and direct remote control connections to the correct PC.

It is therefore completely normal that you would have a different TeamViewer ID on your new computer and there is no way of changing that ID, I'm afraid.

Your TeamViewer account, on the other hand, is not bound to a specific device. Since it is a web-based account, you can access it from anywhere: Simply sign in to the Computers & contacts list with your email address and password.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions, pelase don't hesitate to let me know!

All the best,

Katharina 

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks!
5 Replies
Former Staff
Solution

Hi lbellino, 

Thank you for your post. 

The TeamViewer ID is generated on the basis of various hardware and software identifiers from the computer itself. Every TeamViewer ID is unique and attached to a specific device.

Think of it as a telephone number: it helps our servers identify your device and direct remote control connections to the correct PC.

It is therefore completely normal that you would have a different TeamViewer ID on your new computer and there is no way of changing that ID, I'm afraid.

Your TeamViewer account, on the other hand, is not bound to a specific device. Since it is a web-based account, you can access it from anywhere: Simply sign in to the Computers & contacts list with your email address and password.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions, pelase don't hesitate to let me know!

All the best,

Katharina 

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks!
Posted by lbellino
Henagon

Thanks for your response. Based on your comments, I can still have my online account that lists this new ID as well? I would hate to have to set up another online account, unless I can delete that original one and start over. Please let me know. Thanks.

Former Staff

Hi Ibellino, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, you can definitely continue using your account.

Just open your TeamViewer client and sign in with your email address and password in the "Computers & contacts" window which you will se on the right-hand side. Once you are signed in, you can also add your new ID to the list.

If there is anything else that we can assist you with, feel free to let me know!

All the best,

Katharina

Posted by greyhoundrm
Photon

@Katharina wrote:

Hi lbellino, 

Thank you for your post. 

All the best,

Katharina 

Hi Katharina!

A very funny thinh happened to me, during a re-installation on my iMac.

This is the case history. I changed iMac hd with a ssd one, but my Time Machine backup, saved in an external drive, could not be restored integrally, because it was too big, in respect to the new iMac capacity.

Besides, an iMac new account was created, during the re-installation of iMac.

In order to access the specific folder of Time Machine backup directory, in which I could choose what to transfer and what to leave externally of my desktop, I had to apply permissions to the folder to be copied. I did it, and was consequently able to access to all of the files of that folder, including Applications (and Teamviewer).

in the meanwhile, opening TV and managing the settings, I noticed that TV ID was different in respect of the past, butI tried to login with my credentials as well, without success. So, I created a new TV account, and I succeded.

Some days after, restarting my iMac, magically the old TV ID appeared in its window, so I decided to stop thinking about this matter, wihout being wondering what happened.

Today, after a sudden lack of power, my iMac re-booted, and TV ID changed again, restoring the new one.

My question is: WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT THIS ID CHANGE, AND RESTORE THE OLD ID PERMANENTLY?

thanks for your kind support.

Alessandro

Posted by VladimirV
Photon

Hi!
I would very much like to transfer my ID to a new PC. Is it completely impossible?
My ID is very memorable, I want to use it.

Vladimir.