Hacked, Me Too

Hello,

I think a hacker accessed one of my computers running TeamViewer on Friday. (there is something in the log happening at that time) Does TeamViewer (the company) maintain a connection log when a (paying) customer faces such an issue?

I have a business license, but I am now scared of using TeamViewer again.

Thank you

Comments

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi @MaxLong

Thanks for posting.

TeamViewer is working together with many major tech companies and also the international and local authorities to mitigate this type of fraud.

Unfortunately, I cannot go into much detail about what information is available or what actions can be taken.

Please email us at privacy@teamviewer.com so we can assist you.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • Thanks. I have sent an email a few days ago, no reply yet.

• How is the handling of this going @MaxLong ? Please keep your fellow customers updated so we can also follow through should we experience the same.

• No feedback yet, @REWINC. I only got an automated response and a ticket number (1 week ago).

This is not reassuring, and I haven't reinstalled TeamViewer yet.

• I received a (mostly standard) reply (after 3 weeks).

Some extracts of the reply:

Incoming connections are listed within the connection_incoming.txt.
    You will find the logfile under:
    C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\ or
    C:\Documents and Settings\*User name*\ApplicationData\TeamViewer or
    C:\Users\*User name*\AppData\Roaming\TeamViewer.

We save on our side only the IP address of an ID of the last contact with our servers.

Due to data security laws in Germany, we can give out IP addresses only directly to the police, after receiving an official request.

So, TeamViewer (the company) seems to record very little on their servers, and if you get hacked, it is very easy for the hacker to remove these files on your computer (and you are left without traces).

Also, because the reply to the request for assistance takes 3 weeks, and asks that you involve the police (who has other, bigger, better fish to fry) before anything else, it seems that the customer is left with very little help.

I have sent another email asking for more information and will update this thread when I receive a reply.

• I received a standard reply. It took 3 weeks to get the first reply, a few days to get the second. (I was asking for more information, which I did not get)

Extracts from the reply:

Incoming connections are listed within the connection_incoming.txt.

You will find the logfile under:
    C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\ or
    C:\Documents and Settings\*User name*\ApplicationData\TeamViewer or
    C:\Users\*User name*\AppData\Roaming\TeamViewer.

We save on our side only the IP address of an ID of the last contact with our servers.

Due to data security laws in Germany, we can give out IP addresses only directly to the police, after receiving an official request.

So, TeamViewer as a company seems to record almost nothing on their servers, and if you get hacked, it is very easy for the hacker to remove the files on your computer.

Also, because the reply to the request for assistance takes 3 weeks and asks that you involve the police (who has better things to do, especially if you have not lost any money) before TeamViewer does anything, it seems to me that the customer is essentially left without assistance. They won't even confirm that you have been hacked (if you are not 100% sure you have been hacked, or if you are not 100% sure it was through TeamViewer).

I find it very disappointing, just looking at this forum, users of TeamViewer seem to be getting hacked quite regularly and there is no real support (some new each month, and between the users who do not realize they have been hacked and the users who decide not to report it, I like to think this is only the tip of the iceberg). If I had realized before, I would not have used TeamViewer in the first place.

• Jual obat cytotec obat aborsi gastrul https://www.aborsi.co/