Posted by tiagop717
Henagon

Microphone volume decreases automatically

Everytime I seeing someone else's computer, the volume of the microphone in Windows settings decreases 10 by 10.

I noticed that if I speak loud enough that the microphone volume bar hits max, the volume on Windows setting will be decreased to 90 and I can't increase it back to 100. If the max is reached again, it goes to 80 and so on.

Until I close the remote connection, I'm not able to regain microphone volume and people start not hearing what I'm saying.  When I close the connection I'm able to increase the volume back to 100.

This only happens when I have a remote connection looking at another computer.

Please look into this. I thought it was my sound drivers, but I have used more than one version and it only happens with Teamviewer.

Thanks.

3 Replies
3 Replies
Posted by JLT
Digon

Re: Microphone volume decreases automatically

I too have this issue. It happens to both parties - whenever teamviewer is active as TeamViewer supports voice chat. For me, when the noise threshold is reached (configurable in TeamViewer under options > Audio conferencing) it does decrease the voume of the microphone and then locks it in place. This locking feature is undesirable.

Real world example is your dog comes up to you and barks. A bark is quite loud. This will lock the microphone at a lower volume making it hard for others to hear you. The volume should fluctuate, reducing the volume with louder signals and increasing the volume for quieter signals. I think Windows does this natively but if not, then it's Chrome as I always have that open. With TeamViewer closed, the volume does fluctuate.

Edit: furthermore, TeamViewer should not adjust the microphone volume when the microphone is muted. I use other platforms for voice chat so my microphone in TeamViewer is always muted but yet the volume is still affected.

Posted by tiagop717
Henagon

Thanks for replying. Hopefully the devs will acknowledge this issue soon.

For the time being, I found a workaround that might be useful for people with this issue. By going to Teamviewer options, inside Audio Conferencing, you can select a different microphone besides the one you actually need to use, like Sound Mixing. If your sound card presents you with something like this, just choose that for Teamviewer and your main microphone should be unaffected.

Posted by JLT
Digon

I did think of this too and it's what I may do.

What I've done at the moment is used a "VolumeLock" thing (14 day trial) which works fine although I would rather not use this long term as there is a proper use for having the volume decrease in loud environments and increase in quiet environments.

I'm not sure how to gain the attention of the devs. This issue has been posted about a few times and has been present for around a year to my recollection so I'm surprised they haven't took notice.