Reason Unknown Error

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having issues connecting to my remote PC via TeamViewer. I've tried accessing it on different devices and the issue doesn't occur. I've tried connecting the client (not host) PC to a different network, and reinstalling TeamViewer completely, but the issue still persists.

It sounds to me like there are issues with the TeamViewer servers.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Will

Comments

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @Grimers,

Thank you for your message.

For the moment, nothing such as a master server issue has been reported.

You can always check the status of our services here: TeamViewer Status

You can subscribe to the page and if something is reported, you will get a notification.

In order to trouble-shoot your problem, could you try to restart the TeamViewer service on your device, please? This chould fix the problem.

I hope this could help. If not, do not hesitate to ask your questions here.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers
    Grimers Posts: 11

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your responsive reply.

I just tried that (I assume you mean services.msc?) and I still have the issue. Here's a screenshot:

3d6ZHTm - Imgur.png

• JeanK

Hi @Grimers,

Do you have a professional license, or are you using the free license?

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers

Hi Jean,

The free license as it's only for personal use.

Thanks,

Will

• Grimers

If this is only occuring on one client, would I be correct in saying that it's not the host that's causing the issue? Is there anything else I could try?

• JeanK

Hello @Grimers,

What you could also try is to uninstall completely TeamViewer by deleting also the registry keys and reinstall the programm on your device.

You will find all the information you need in our Knowledge Base article here: How to uninstall TeamViewer on PC

I hope this will fix the issue.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers

Hi Jean,

In my first post, I said that I had already done that...

Will

• JeanK

@Grimers,

Have you also deleted all the TeamViewer rests in the registry as described in our article?

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers

Correct.

• Grimers

Just reinstalled it again, same issue.

• JeanK

@Grimers, there is obviously something blocking your device connecting to our servers...

Could you please check if your port 5938 is open? It may be a port issue.

You will find all the information you need about ports and Teamviewer in our Knowledge Base article here: Which ports are used by TeamViewer?

Also check if you have any thrid-party product like an anti-virus or a firewall that might block TeamViewer.

I hope this could help.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers

Hi Jean,

I suspected this may be the case. I would assume this is at device level, as connecting via a VPN/using a different network doesn't make any difference. I seem to have many entries relating to TeamViewer in Windows Firewall. Do I need to create another rule?

Thanks,

Will

• JeanK

Hi @Grimers,

Yes, exactly. Make sure you create a rule per port  that needs to be open and also that the TeamViewer application is also authorized.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers

Hi Jean,

This is what I have at the moment, does this look right?

Screenshot_1.png

• JeanK

Hello @Grimers,

I've discussed with an engineer and what you need to do is only to open the port 5938. Sorry for my mistake, I'll correct my previous message. You should leave the ports 443 and 80 as default. The port 5938 will only allow TeamViewer to connect.

Here, you will find a video tutorial how to open ports on Windows : How To Open Firewall Ports In Windows 10

I hope this could help.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• Grimers

Hi Jean,

Ok, I've changed the newly created rules to just 5938 (both TCP and UDP), but no luck...

Screenshot_3.png

Thanks,

Will

• Grimers

Where do I go from here? It seems to me like it could be a TeamViewer issue not on my end now. I read that some new IDs are not able to connect, maybe this could be a similar issue?

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 5 ✭✭

In my case, the issue seems to be associated with only one specific TeamViewer ID. Changing this (not easy) on the same computer resolves the issue for me. So it would be nice to have the blocked ID un-blocked, which I suspect only a Teamviewer technician can do...

• JeanK

Hello @Mike,

Unfortunately, even TeamViewer technicians cannot change a TeamViewer ID. An ID is unique for any device. (Except in a Windows Server environment, for more information you can visit the following article: TeamViewer on Windows servers)

A TeamViewer ID is composed of a combination between soft- and hardware of a device.

You will find all the information you need in our Knowledge Base article here: What is a TeamViewer ID?

I hope you will find the articles interesting.

Cheers

Jean

Community Manager

• I have this same issue just recently.  Looking at your message thread, it doesn't look promising.  Where you able to resolve the issue?