Remote into my PC back in the US while using TeamViewer from China

I will be traveling to China and wanted to know if I would be able to remote into my Desktop Computer back in the U.S. from my laptop while in China.  I see China blocks VPN traffic, but if I'm not using the VPN within TeamViewer, will the product work?

Follow-up question - Is this considered a "secure" approach to access websites in the U.S. that require a login username and passord?  I'm concerns about revealing login credentials, so wasn't sure if my login credentials were traveling over the China to US connection if I was using my Desktop computer in the U.S. to login to my websites.

Best Answer

Answers

• parryjm
    parryjm Posts: 7

Thank you.  Your information is encouraging.

• at3
    at3 Posts: 1

Hi! I'm travelling to China very soon and I was curious about your experience w Teamviewer. Did it end up working for you to connect to your PC in the US? thanks!

• parryjm

Yes, I was able to remote directly into my desktop back in the U.S. from my laptop in China.

Prior to leaving the U.S...

• I configured my TeamViewer on my desktop for "Unattended Access".
    • I had setup TeamViewer Management Console using 2-factor authentication before I left for China.  I installed the "Authenticator" App on my new Google Pixel Phone.  Tested it out before I departed and it worked fine.
    • I configured my desktop so that it would not go to sleep/hibernate.  It did allow the monitor to turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    • I also turned off Windows Updating.
    • I didn't want computer going to sleep or rebooting while I was away for 3 weeks.

Since I had my Google phone in Airplane mode while in China, I had enabled Wi-Fi calling, I was not always successful in accessing the TeamViewer Management Console Website,  I was able to remote into the desktop using my laptop directly every time without issue.

• Chiron,

I will be traveling to Russia this coming July. I was able to use TeamViewer to remote into my desktop computer from China last year without and issue, so I was hoping I could do the same from Russia.

I've read that only government approved VPNs are allowed in Russia.  If you use a VPN which isn't sanctioned by the government and get caught there are specific penalties - $5,100 for the individual and $12,000 for the ISP.

Since you indicated your people use TeamViewer all over the world, I was wondering if that included Russia?  Have you had success?

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @parryjm,

Thank you for posting.

We actually sell our TeamViewer software in Russia legally.

So TeamViewer can be used in Russia.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Best regards,

Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • Yuri,

Most helpful.  Thanks.

ParryJM

• Hi, thanks for sharing! It's super helpful!

I'm wondering if you have experienced any lagging issue. I'm traveling in Japan right now and heading to China after. I'm trying to use Teamviewer with pretty good speed wifi in my hotel but my Teamviewer lags so badly I basically can't work. 

I'm not sure if it's because it's a public wifi access. 

• parryjm

It's been over a year since I traveled to China.  From what I recall, whether I was in a hotel or on a ship traveling down the Yangtze river using their Wi-Fi, my TeamViewer performance back to the U.S. was acceptable. I cannot speak for how it works in Japan.  Are you using any kinds of VPN on your Wi-Fi connection?  That can slow down things quite a bit.  BTW - MY Norton VPN did not work in China.