Restrict Outgoing Connection

My company has purchased a 3 concurrent connections license.  Is it possible to restrict outgoing connection, say only 1, for one of the workstations within our environment?

Best Answer

Answers

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @allanplmak

Thanks for your post.

Yes, you can deny outgoing connections for a specific workstation:

1. Install the TeamViewer Host instead of the TeamViewer full version.

2. If the TeamViewer full version is installed. Disable outgoing connections for this device with this setting: Click on Extras --> Options --> Advanced --> Advanced settings for connections to other computers --> Access control --> choose Deny outgoing remote control sessions

deny outgoing connections.png

Now, save the options with a password to avoid that the setting will be enabled again (also within the Advanced tab) and that´s it :-)

Hope this helps, Esther

Former Community Manager

• What I mean... is not totally restrict outgoing connect, instead only allow max. of 1 outgoing connection.

• Esther

Hi @allanplmak

Ok, I understand.

If this is to "protect" the other two channels, I am happy to let you know, that one device (=one TeamViewer ID) will only use one channel even if he has multiple connections open simultaneously.

Does that info help?

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Thanks for your prompt reply.  However, seems this is not the case as I did a small testing earlier.  After 4 connections established for 4 different workstations, I won't be able to establish additonal connection by using the same workstation (host).

Thinking if that maybe the configuration issue of mentioned workstation (host).  If what you are saying is correct... mean the same workstation (host) can establish 8 different connections within our network.  Please advise.

• Esther

Hi again,

Can you verify, that you have:

1. a Corporate license
    2. the Corporate license is activated on the TeamViewer accounts of the staff members who should be able to make connections (How to activate your license)
    3. these staff members are signed in with the licensed accounts to the Computers & Contacts list when making the connections?

If so, can you test again?

Thanks and best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Back to your question...

1)  Yes... we have a Corporate License (4 channels)

2)  As far as I remember, I have already activated the TeamViewer account.  Or anywhere that I could double confirm?

3)  Our support staffs (those who make a remote connection to client machine on day to day support) simply using the host module and make a connection using destinated IP address... and never do any sign in.  Seems this is not the correct way of using the product?

• Esther

Hi @allanplmak

Thank a lot.

Yes, it is required to be signed in with the TeamViewer account to the Computers & Contacts list so that the license will be recognized by the system.

You can check whether the license is activated on your own account when being signed in to the Computers & Contacts list and have a look at the upper left corner. Underneath your name it will mention your license: 

license.png

To easily manage the license of your whole team, I recommend creating a company profile within our Management Console (=MCO) and add your staff members to it. (How to add users to a company profile)

This allows you to centrally manage your license and staff and to assign/remove the license to the staff members accordingly.

In the MCO you can also see, whether someone has a license activated on the account or not.

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• As of information provided, I will have a try to see how everything works out.  Should additonal query, will post another question here.

Lastly... correct me if I am wrong for the following scenario.  With our existing 4 channels corporate license, if we manage all users within the management console and sign in for day to day support, each sign in consider as 1 channel is occupied?  Within this occupied channel, there is no limit on how many remote workstation to be connected?

• Esther

Hi @allanplmak

The channel will only be occupied when starting a remote control session, a meeting or a file transfer. Just being signed in does not require a channel at all.

The number of sessions from one device depends on your network and hardware performance, but it is not open end. For a Corporate license, up to 10 sessions are supported.

So, let´s say, you have 15 staff members and a Corporate license with four channels in total:

All staff members are licensed via their TeamViewer account, and all are signed in to the Computers & Contacts list: As long as no one is having a running remote control session (or similar) no channel is in use.

The licensing work with the first come - first serve logic: The first four staff members establishing a connection will be able to do so. The 5th person will get a notification that all channels are in use and that he needs to wait. As soon as one staff member finishes a session, one channel will be free to one of the 15 staff members.

If you would like to reserve channels for a set of support members who are e.g. working for SLA customers: You can create a channel group and reserve a channel for them. 

Thanks again, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Esther

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your feedback! We´re always happy to help :-)

If you have any further questions, feel free to post a new question or reply again in this thread.

For the setup, you can also always visit our Knowledge Base. We have hundreds of helpful articles there.

Best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Today... I am using 3 notebooks and 2 mobile phones (all connected to the same WiFi router) to verify the channel usage.

- notebook #2 connect to notebook #3
    - notebook #3 connect to notebook #1
    - mobile #1 connect to notebook #1
    - mobile #2 connect to notebook #1

After all are connected, within the "Current License User" window, I can see 4 different "TeamView ID"... and I assume that 4 channels have been used (mean I shouldn't be able to establish any new connection).

Then, when I use notebook #1 to establish a connection to notebook #2, I make it and can see 5 different "TeamView ID" within the "Current License User".  However, isn't it suppose to be no more channel for the 5th connection.

By the way, all these connections are using the same user email that has been created within the management portal.  Also,  only 1 notebook did proprely activate its license through the client machine.

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-24 at 22.25.00.jpeg

• Esther

Hi @allanplmak 

is the ID starting with 139** the same device?

This explains why you have 5 open sessions with "just" 4 channels: You can have multiple connections from one device by using just 1 channel.

Thanks and best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• They are 2 seperate devices - one is notebook and the other one is a mobile device.

TeamViewer (Channel Usage).JPG