TeamVieweMeetingAddinShim.dll; Working fine in Outlook 2016 ?

mpgioia
mpgioia Posts: 8 ✭✭

Can anyone confirm the 64bit TeamVieweMeetingAddinShim.dll is working fine in Outlook 2016 ?

Mine always throws a runtime error on startup and never starts.

Comments

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @mpgioia,

a question: Outlook 20016 is installed in "Click To Run" mode?

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• mpgioia

What an absolutely fantastic question.

Yes. It is.  Office365 'Click to Run' based install.

I presume that's a definitive correlation as to why this is happening ?

I have to say.. I think back at TV ver 10 or 11, the dll was working fine.  Just in 12 I've noticed this issue... Or maybe since I installed Outlook 2016 from Outlook 2013 it might have stopped.. actually.

Is the addinshim not supported in a 'click to run' based install of Outlook 2016 ?

• DomLan

Hi @mpgioia,

I think so: a shim library has the task of connecting two elements that are not on the same infrastructure level (old to new or new to old API). One of these plans is Outlook 2016, but in the "Click to Run" configuration does not install some registry keys and other libraries needed to correctly retrieve the methods on Outlook itself.

I suggest you switch to an on-premise (via MSI) Outlook installation, then try again.

Hope this help.

Regards

Domenico Langone

• mpgioia

Yeh... ok... But say the mass movement of the world moving to Office365 subscriptions and this is how they get their eligibility to run on-prem Microsoft software.. I'm interested to see the footprint of 'Click to Run' installs of Outlook around the world ?

It's only going to grow.. while the non-'Click to Run' is onyl going to shrink..

And... It used to work in Outlook 2013... which was also 'Click to Run'....

• DomLan

Hi @mpgioia

I totally agree with your point of view. But, as also explained, your system lack some registry keys. Try first to search this in your environment (via regedit)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{F4754C9B-64F5-4B40-8AF4-679732AC0607}\DocObject

Regards

Domenico Langone

• mpgioia

Yeh.. 'DocObject' .. is not there as a sub-key..

I guess that's your point, right ?

Interesting.. I found this.. suggesting manual inclusion gets around the COM abstraction in Click to run ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/47ed982e-e346-441f-8ddf-d524adc9a78a/word-2013-msi-install-vs-oneclick-install-com-exception-error

• DomLan

Hi @mpgioia

That key is for a module (Word in the specific case on my machine). My suggestion, after searching for the key I mentioned before, remains to switch to an installation via MSI. Here to do (official for 2010, quite still valid for 2013)

The next step, which I suggested to you, would be to:
    - partially save the registry editor;
    - remove the MSI installation to return to "click to run";
    - Import the keys you saved earlier.

If you prefer to perform direct keys registration, you are free to do so. Good luck!

Regards

Domenico Langone

• mpgioia

The Microsoft Office alternative fulfillment page is dead.. so i'm going to do this manually.. no harm done.

I know the CLSID for Microsoft Outlook Ver 12.

Are you saying it's literally just adding a folder called 'DocObject', no keys ?

• mpgioia

Bump... Nothing changed on this front really... right ?
    Even with newer releases ?

Seeing as more and more of the world is adopting O365 subscriptions I find it interesting how TV are not strategically looking at this library to adopt Click to Run installs....

• gj4ogh948h
    gj4ogh948h Posts: 2

Any news on fixing the Outlook add-in with Click-to-Run Office?

Still broken with Outlook 2019 16.0.10344.20008 64-bit & TeamViewer 14.2.8352