Posted by Wiley_One
Henagon

Re: TeamViewer ID Keeps Changing

This thread has been difficult to follow, mostly because the two most active participants (recently) seem to be ESL, and one of them insists on analyzing the psychology instead of the technology..

Here is how I see the issue:

1. Sign Guy has a bunch of mini-PC's deployed in various places
  2. For no apparent reason, the TeaamViewer IDs on these systems change randomly.
  3. Sign Guy may or may not have remote access to other PC's on the same local LAN segment.

Analysis:

1. We (mostly) all agree that, in a perfect world, the TV ID should never change
  2. We don't live in a perfect world, so it does happen.  Perhaps it is because of ID duplication or possibly because TV host thinks it has detected a hardware change
  3. It would be nice if TeamViewer Support would help by telling us the exact reason when an ID changes.  But, they have been reluctant to do that, for "security reasons".
  4. Sign Guy needs a way to prevent ID changes
  5. Sign Guy also needs a way to recover if an ID does change

Suggestions:

1. Avoid the use of cloning software when deploying new systems.
  2. Do not install TeamViewer Host over another remote access system, especially RDP..
  3. Make your TV Host system as stable as possible.  That might include removing or disabling all NICs except one, assigning static IPs instead of DHCP, and identifying any program that might alter timestamps on critical Windows folders,
  4. Enable RDP access to the machine.  Although RDP should never be used to install TeamViewer Host, it can be used to see the TeamViewer ID. 
  5. Install a script that reads the TeamViewer ID and reports it to a cloud server periodically.
  6. Ditch TV and install something else.  That are many (many) other products out there.
  7. Install a second host program in addition to TV.

Conclusions:

1. If you can't find an acceptable workaround, use another product.  Simple.

Posted by xasxbvb
Photon

Same problem here. I thought I made a mistake a while ago when storing the Teamviewer ID's of about 6 Windows 2012 R2 servers in our password database because I couldn't connect anymore with the ID's. Logged in to each server via another way and found out the ID was different from what is stored in our password database. Fine, noted all ID's and stored them again in our password database. Did a check today, tadaaaaaah....ID's changed again. This is pretty problematic in a business environment. How can you not get such basic stuff right Teamviewer? Do you think I have time for this stuff?

We use a premium license btw.

Posted by DDock
Digon

and they want me to upgrade my Corporate v12 perpetual license to their v14 annual... ha! right...
Posted by Fidolido
Digon

This happened once on a server machine for a client. As a backup, I install DWSERVICE.NET and so far never had another issue as I'm able to log in via DWSERVICE. You create an account, then download the client and install. It's a bit basic but works as a web app and can do dual monitors, transfer of files and is for most part, free.

I do know that you can not clone a hard drive and expect to have the same ID. Also, virtual machines tend to be a problem.

When Teamviewer came out for me, it was version 7 and worked great. Problems started with Version 11 and up and got worst with subscripton based products.  I don't expect them to be free forever but the new pricing model prices me out of updating.