TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

Announcements

The board for the TeamViewer Expert Day is open for your questions - Join us here!

Posted by joetaras
Digon

Re: "Commercial use suspected", but free users can't submit a ticket, so... ?

I suppose we must find another software for our personal uses.

What a SHAME for T.V. management and staff.

Joe Taras
Posted by waces
Trigon

As my previous post was removed due the violation of the policies I knidly ask where and how can the end user receive some in-depth information about the method TV flag someone as a commercial user. Not in-depth in the technical level as don't want to break any intelectual property but some high level information how the end users can make sure they won't be marked as commercial users. There are a lots of reports from various locations, with various way the end users uses their TV infra and I think none of us knows when and how we broke anyting and become marked as commercial users.

Once again - just to make sure this post not breaks anything - just a high level information like (if you use your tv via your corporate VPN you'll be marked as commercial user even you connects only your home pc, or similar.)

If this thread is not the right place to ask then please, please point out where these kind of question can be asked? (other thread, reddit forum, support e-mail, etc)

I assume if we know what need to be avoided will lead much less false justifications.

I hope this post doesn't contain any rumor or invalid information and not break any bit of the policy of the forum usage.

Posted by joetaras
Digon

My dear, 

thanks for your reply. I hope the staff tell us some infos because this situation is very hard to resolve.

Joe Taras
Posted by bazbsg
Trigon

They won't tell us. There are three main groups of users. 1. Commercial users who paid for a license. 2. Commercial users that should have paid for a license but didn't and are saying they are not commercial. 3. Non-commercial users who didn't pay for a license and aren't required to.

This new strategy of Teamviewer is to get group 2 to pay for a license. Group 1 already paid and so they will not be adversely affected. Group 2 will have some users locked out and they will either pay or more likely look for another, cheaper solution. Maybe some of them are here in this forum pretending to be non-commerial users. Some group 2 users will not be detected and so not affected; so lucky for them. Group 3 will have some people falsely accused of using TV commercially. This is collateral damage. TV doesn't care very much about them. TV needs to make a profit so it's more important to convert some group 2 into group 1 than it is to not affect group 3. If this were not true their strategy would be different like mentioned by a few people on this forum already. They would have a gentler strategy than blocking users without warning and / or they would have more support staff assigned to make the recovery time much much shorter than 30+ days.

If they tell us all what the algorithm is for suspecting commercial use, it will give some of those users in group 2 a better chance to evade detection. Again, they don't care so much if group 3 is inconvenienced.

I'll probably have this post censored too. But at least everyone subscribed to this forum will see it in their email notifications.

Posted by PeterHah
Trigon

It seems I had success in bringing this to the attention of our most renowned IT magazine, and they'll be looking into it.

And likely be writing about it.
Posted by perezil
Neutron

I too gave up. Signed up for an annual subscription with a competitor that is less than $100 a year for up to 10 computers.

TV just doesn't understand that many of us are willing to pay to access our home and/or SOHO computers. The management from LMI must have transitioned into TV. It is the only explanation for their "we don't care" attitudes.

Posted by Raewisconsin
Henagon

Free Teamviewer keeps timing out after only one or two minutes connection

Everytime I connect today to a friends computer to help them, it kicks me out after one or two minutes saying it has timed out. I deleted the program and re-loaded and still get the same results. Any ideas would be appreceiated.

Thanks

Roger

Posted by Moderator Moderator

Re: Connection Terminated after around 5 minutes

Dear Napster,

Thank you for your message.

On the following link, you will find plenty of information regarding this issue:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Why-do-I-see-Commercial-use-suspected-Commercial-...

For unlimited access, you need to purchase a license.

Here the link to get more information about our licenses: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/buy-now/

I hope this could help you.

Cheers,

Jean

Posted by Moderator Moderator

Re: TV says I'm using a business network and times out after a few seconds

Dear John_W,

Thank you for your message.

On the following link, you will find plenty of information about your issue:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Why-do-I-see-Commercial-use-suspected-Commercial-...

I hope this could help you.

Cheers,

Jean

Posted by pbmorse
Henagon

Is anyone else struck by the grim irony of the publisher of a bit of software that facilitates instantaneous global communications telling its user base that a) they're guilty until proven innocent and b) proving their innocence will take "up to 30 days?" 

The boardroom brainwave of massively annoying and inconveniencing legitimate users complying with the license terms, then effectively locking them out could not be more draconian or short-sighted. Someone, somewhere believes this will produce a flood of revenue via new license purchases but how many other companies have attempted same only to watch their market share vanish?

Sending detailed logs away on the equivalent of a slow boat to China with no clearly defined procedure or timeline is madness - and they want to make it contagious.

If this is a "community" then it's a very hostile neighborhood judging from the pugnacious responses of the so-called service team who spend the majority of their time telling the user base to get stuffed in so many words. Well, that and pedantically removing links and names of competitors - I'll bet that's a fulfilling, self-actualizing day at the office! 

But even that makes no sense. If people ARE running afoul of the license terms and want to abandon the product then that is a win-win for TeamViewer. Support requests and workload will be reduced and network traffic will ease.

The user base has watched TV shift the goalposts on a regular basis but Operation Lockout can't even adhere to its own stated policies: if 5 min is the prescribed window then why are users experiencing and reporting sessions closing after 20-30 seconds in many cases? Where did the seemingly arbitrary number of minutes to wait to try again originate and why?

Building a user base and then implementing a hostage scenario might be the most bizarre business plan since New Coke. But, as before, the decision-making at the top seems completely disconnected - pun intentional - from the user base.

Yes, yes, terms of service (for the software and the service) and all that but ultimately any product is about a value proposition.

Posted by TE5LA
Henagon

Does anyone know why I can't submit the form they have? I get a "Secure Connection Failed" message, indicated something wrong with their email setup.

All I use TV for is to control a computer 10 feet away from my main one so I don't have to walk across the room. Doesn't sound very commercial to me.

Posted by DJ_Lushious
Henagon

Great, now I'm getting popped for TeamViewer thinking I'm using the product for Commercial Use. In what crazy world does me connecting to my home computer, which resides on Comcast's network "for Commercial use." Am I going to get the same message if I try to help my mother when she has issues? I've been using TeamViewer for many many years, but it's time for me to find another solution. I hardly think this issue will addressed quickly or even at all. 

Posted by MarkJ409
Henagon

Connection Blocked - Suspected Commercial Use

All of a sudden, when I attempt to connect to my home computer, on a Brighthouse Network, I get bumped, and connection blocked after timeout.  I only use this account now for personal use, and now TeamViewer seems to think I'm Commercial.  Maybe because of my email address??  I only use this account to "support" my family, most of which are too far away from me to drive over and fix their issues.  Anyone else have a resolution to this??  Thanks in advance!

Posted by timwuz28
Henagon

Re: Connection Blocked - Suspected Commercial Use

I've been a long time personal user, and only access my own computers at home. And also have this same problem. I wonder if they are starting to force personal users to purchase commercial license or this was a glitch that will hopefully be fixed soon.

What version of teamviewer are you using? I'm still on 10, tried 11 when it came out and didn't like it, I've kept everything on 10.  Wondering if the older ver could be a factor.

Posted by andreas_f
Digon

Re: TV says I'm using a business network and times out after a few seconds

JeanKinzler,
wow, you have phrased it as ths is understood in your organisation
"...you will find plenty of information about YOUR issue."
Actually, imho it's TV's issue, not the users issue.
TV has started this, based on criteria and justified with details which never had posted before. Even (as it is in my case) when you never violated against the rules, I feel nasty treated and slandered without getting any proof from you.
Well, probably it's getting time to sue you for libel (the german word is Verleumdungsklage).
I have proof for your action, what do you have?
Posted by MarkJ409
Henagon

Hi....thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, maybe, I've updated to the latest 13.1.3629.   Because of my previous profession, I'm now having to "support" maybe 10 family computers, but 90% of the time I'm just logging into my home PC from my "new" office.  It allows me to monitor camera's and other activity at my house....lol

Posted by timwuz28
Henagon

Found another thread with similar issues and a couple of solutions to try.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/TeamViewer-showed-me-a-message-quot-Connectio...

Posted by mmicrosysm
Trigon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

[Removed by Moderator per Community Guidelines] <<< this pretty much sums up the support here.

Been using TV for non-commercial use for years, now I'm being flagged for using it on a Business Network... cpe-XX-XXX-XX-XX.cityremoved.res.rr.com is not a BUSINESS NETWORK!  I cannot even connect for more than 20 seconds and I get the pop up saying I've been 'timedout'.  Submitted a ticket but already know that is going nowhere. Instead of coming up with a personal version of TV that is affordable for us hobbyist and family tech support, you decided to just shoe us away. Bravo, guess what your competitor is going to make money off us as they listened. 

$588/yr is the lowest you offer and none of us that use it for non-commercial are going to fork that over. I'd rather go back to using Microsoft Remote Connection before I'd pay that.

Posted by RLO
Digon

Re: Free Teamviewer keeps timing out after only one or two minutes connection

same problem repeatedly
Posted by timwuz28
Henagon

By the way, I've also just posted a suggestion at that other thread that as a work around while waiting for support ticket to be reviewed and access restored.    Try using another PC to access your other devices.   It works for me.  So it seems the access ban is not account-wide, but individual PC that for whatever reason triggered the connection limit. 

Posted by suemccartin
Henagon

Well that's just rich isn't it.  I only have one 2 in 1 that I keep in the vehicle.  Would be nice if they sent an email before blocking you.  Seeing several posts here from today this is the first problem I've had in more than a year using the same laptop.  I guess it's time to look for another product if they treat people like this...even if it's just free use I'm still a potential paying customer this stinks. 

Posted by MarkJ409
Henagon

So, I was able to chat with sales briefly earlier, and they sent me a link to fill out a form.  I explained on the form that although my email address has the word "computer" in it, that I closed my business a year ago and now work for a non-profit.  I still "support" family computers, as I'm a nice guy and most of them live too far away from me to drive to fix issues.  Now, I sit and wait for them to decide if they're going to change my status from "Commercial/Personal" to just plain "Personal".  If they were to look at my log today, they'd see me logging in every 30 minutes or so, for the 2 or 3 minutes that they leave me connected, just to respond to messages....How long does it take for a decision to be made and the status changed??

Posted by timwuz28
Henagon

From that other thread, it would appear at least a few days for the ban to be lifted.  I'd suggest grabbing another PC to access your other devices in the mean time as a work around as mentioned earlier. 

Posted by alexnews
Proton

Re: License question

Unfortuanly they don't care anymore about people. The same happened to me. I have 3 kids and wife to support, but can't pay money everymonth. So have to swith to the different product. Good job team!! Hope you will going down in few months. Thank you for work at list for 2 years. 

Posted by alexnews
Proton

Scrue you and your team, if I'll find the way help my family with out you, I'll tell all my friends how to do it.

Posted by Mteal
Photon

Re: Disconnect after one minute

I have the same issue and it is VERY frustrating. 

Posted by 03buecoupe
Trigon

I just started getting the exact same thing.  I support my sisters and brother-in-laws computers. Have for years.   I'm hoping something is just **bleep** up on their end.

Posted by TV2
Henagon

Please Help!!!

I'm having trouble with my teamviewer, TeamViewer is saying connection blocked after timeout. your license limits are blocked. please try later.or upgrade your license. I HAVE A FREE VERSION. PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted by 03buecoupe
Trigon

Same thing just started here. VERY frustrating!  And forget getting help.   

[Removed per Community Guidelines - TeamViewer Discussions only please

Posted by MarkJ409
Henagon

Wow...timing sucks...can't log in but every 10 minutes or so for less than a minute...Guess I'll bring a laptop in to my office tomorrow and attempt to log in wirelessly.....Smiley Sad

Posted by nice2bj
Electron

I switched to AnyDesk.  It's working so far I'm just getting used to it.

Posted by RanMan62
Henagon

Same here.

Posted by BernyHaider
Digon

why teamviewer 13 gets worse in the last weeks!

hy guys!

since the last updates of the, free for personal use, software, there are always messages about alleged commercial use and connection breaks to the partner! i have many devices and thus many ids to the same mail account! must i seriously send for each id a personal use request? for me, the teamviewer software is currently unusable and the windows 10 teamviewer app does not have all the features like the software!

bg

berny (a very angry user)

Posted by 03buecoupe
Trigon

Thanks,   Hopefully they'll fix  TV and that won't become necessary as my sisters and brothers in laws aren't the sharpest tacks in the box and walking them through another install would be painful.   But I'll look into it just in case!

Posted by Aggravated
Electron

I am having the same problem also. I found on their website that the free version will no longer be free if you have windows product. I called and I was asked are you going to buy anything, I said no, He says then I am not going to help you and he hung up. Wonderful customer service. I have uninstalled and installed and still does not work. They are recording IP addresses is why.

Posted by origami
Digon

I am receiving the message "COMMERCIAL USE DETECTED" and then the session is limited to only 5 minutes, without the ability to re-connect without a delay.  I am using Teamviewer on a personal computer and I do not own a business.  Whatever method Teamviewer is using to "detect" commercial usage is obviously flawed.

Posted by The_Bear
Photon

I am getting the same issue.  Only happens when I use my gaming rig. 

Posted by PeterHah
Trigon

Re: You can't open a ticket, instead look at the first post i...

TeamViewer had a security problem that was fixed.
https://heise.de/-4118201

Still waiting for them to investigate the commercial accusation issue.
Posted by DJ_Lushious
Henagon

With as much as this thread has blown up, I can only imagine there's some issue with the algorithm that causes non-commercial users to be seen as false-positives. Or TeamViewer is truly cracking down. Let's hope it's the former and not the latter. 

If I connect to my home computer from work to do personal stuff, does that count as me using the product for commercial use? Should it? I'm using the product to work on my personal computer, even though I'm on company resources. 

Posted by PeterHah
Trigon

As long as the problem persists and from what the reported reactions are, I wouldn't set my hopes too high.

They achieved their goal of removing 80% of TeamViewer users, I'd say.
Posted by mikelltea
Digon

I had been using Teamviewer to connect to my home computer (or wife's when she's having trouble) from work.  Because I have no input into what RDP method my company uses, I can't even suggest any software. Besides, it's my company policy to not allow us to connect to our home computers. Anyhow, a few weeks ago I started getting messages saying "suspected business use" or something to that effect. Since it wasn't true, I would simply click through. Of course, there is no challenge since TeamViewer's knowledge is absolute. Today I started timing out after a minute. It appears to be time to move away from TeamViewer and find another better remote.

Posted by mikelltea
Digon

Re: connection timed out?

Pretty sure it's the later. Bye, bye TV.

Highlighted
Posted by mmicrosysm
Trigon

Re: Already Gone

I've already started switching my systems and family systems to a TV competitor.

The little rogue tech guys can keep this garbage remote software.

Buh Bye TeamViewer

1 Reply
Posted by Napster
Digon

Re: Connection Terminated after around 5 minutes

I don´t know why you don´t understand what ive written 

team.JPG

It clearly says fee license but iam still not able to make use of it because the connection gets terminated after a few minutes

Posted by PeterHah
Trigon

Re: Already Gone

Good boy.
That's what they wanted.
Posted by jbhatestmver
Digon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

Oh look, the tyrants censored me. I'll let them do it again... dwservice is who I've started migrating too. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather do business with comcast instead of these losers. 

Posted by TE5LA
Henagon

This appears to be a money grab from TeamViewer. Get thousands of people used to the software and then try to force a commercial account on them. I'm not buying that this "error" is being made to so many users here.

99.9% of my TeamViewer connections never leave my internal network because I'm using it to control a computer in the same room as this one. It's just more convenient than walking over to it. The other 0.1% is me logging into my home computer from work during lunch to check something I can't access from just anywhere. Nobody else is even ever involved in my use of TeamViewer and I'm getting these messages? I'm sure they are sending these out to everyone to see how many will fall for it. Sounds like phishing.

Posted by PeterHah
Trigon

They simply take down the load from their servers by about 80% (my estimation), probably to downscale the servers in an attempt to avoid bancruptcy.
Posted by TE5LA
Henagon

No it shouldn't unless you are somehow directly benefitting financially from it.

Posted by mmicrosysm
Trigon

Re: Can we at least get 5 minutes so we can...

TV can we at least get 5 minutes on our host PC's so we can upgrade them to something else??? Not even logged in for 20 seconds and I get this!!

Screenshot_103.png

I have 5 small systems at home that  I run without a keyboard. mouse or monitor as they are used for filesharing (NAS) and video.

UPDATE: Found a VMWARE workaround that allowed me to gain access to my 5 systems and Installed an alternative remote software. 

BYE TEAMVIEWER