TeamViewer without monitor in remote pc

Good afternoon,

I have a problem with TeamViewer when I try accessing a remote pc without monitor. The remote pc leave any resolution configurated, when it was with monitor, to 800x600 without monitor!
I don't want to have a monitor stoped in this pc, because I only use to do downloads like a "download center"

Is it normal this or it have something that I can do to keep the resolution configured when I access the pc without a monitor?

thank you

Comments

• austenlennon
    austenlennon Posts: 4 ✭✭

Quite a few people have this problem but Teamviewer doesn't seem to be interested in finding a cure.

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi there, 

Thanks for your posts. 

You will find the relevant information in the following article: How do I use TeamViewer on headless systems?

I really hope, this could help and wish you all a nice weekend. 

Best,
    Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• thatoneguy
    thatoneguy Posts: 1

Haven't had this issue up until now. The only reason I would use TeamViewer is that I don't have a display hooked up, now all of the sudden that doesn't work...

• Paul_DL
    Paul_DL Posts: 12 ✭✭

I FIXED THIS FOR $7.99 (As of 1-28-2022 - for VGA desktop).

TeamViewer uses the graphics card to work, and the graphics card gets squirrely with no VGA attached. So I connected a HDMI to VGA adapter, which made the graphics card happy. I thought of this when I noticed TeamViewer working well with a display connected yet powered off. So hooking this adapter to the end of the desktop's VGA cable works as a surrogate display. I hope this helps you.

Here's the adapter I bought, others are likely to work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SW9JI9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also, I imagine a VGA to HDMI adapter might work for desktops with HDMI video only.

• Punik
    Punik Posts: 3 ✭✭

The quick and easy fix, for free, no hardware required. 😉 (Assuming that You want to change resolution on headless (no monitor attached) system.)

1) On the target machine, run "regedit".

2) Navigate to "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\"

3) Find the correct "virtual" monitor. In my case it was NOEDID_8086_3E91_00000000_00020000_31013^53F8D5930757FC6478DA395B2023D3E0, but Your mileage may vary, and probably will. 🤨 If not sure, try to navigate to "00" subfolder and look for PrimSurfSize.cx and .cy - if it matches the undesirable small resolution, You probably have Your guy. 🤔

If still not sure or feeling lucky and lazy, just delete all the folders under "Configuration" and restart the PC. The only one which pops up after restart is definitely THE ONE. 😁

4) Navigate to "00" and change PrimSurfSize.cx and PrimSurfSize.cy to the resolution of Your choice. In order to calculate the right value, run Windows Calculator and switch it to "Programmator mode", in which You type the value in decimal and You will see the correct value in Hexadecimal. Or just use 780 for .cx and 438 for .cy, which will get You a nice, 21st century, 1920 x 1080 resolution.

5) Go deeper, to the second "00" and repeat.

6) Now change the resolution as You are used to and voila, now and forever - You are happy. 😍

You are welcome. 😎

• PatrickvanHaeften
    PatrickvanHaeften Posts: 2 Newbie

Hi all,

For me installing this virtual monitor was the solution.