Unauthorized Access - Warning to ALL TeamViewer Users

I had an unauthorized connection several weeks ago which immediately prompted me to take actions to further secure my login and connections.  Being as it may, I went ahead and forwarded the intrusion information (ID and IP address of intruder as well as log file) on to the privacy department and here's where there are real problems.

I fully understand that there are additional security measures available that can be turned on, that's great.  But the response from TeamViewer's privacy department is far from acceptable.  The "canned" response is simply to turn on and use the additional features of Teamviewer AND they will NOT be doing anything internally regarding the matter.  So, let's make this perfectly clear...TeamViewer DOES NOT and WILL NOT do anything on their servers to provide any additional safeguards for it's users when an unauthorized connection is made.

The most basic and immediate action should be to blacklist the IP address of the unauthorized user at a minimum...at least do that, right?  Nope, nothing will be done.  Seems quite silly to have a privacy department that doesn't really do anything to help with your privacy.

So, fair warning to anyone who is using TeamViewer.  If you have an unauthorized connection made, don't bother sending the information to TeamViewer.  Just uninstall, delete your TeamViewer folder and reinstall if you still want to use this product.  At least at the point you'll have a new ID.  Then you can take the additional time to setup 2 step authentication and use a white list as instructed in the "canned" response.

Good luck to all.

K.

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi r1crusher,

Thanks for your post.

We are sorry to hear what happened to you.

Our privacy department is reviewing every single case (incl. logfiles when provided) and they already took security measures on the fraudulent ID to make sure that such activities cannot be repeated.
    Also – we are always working hard on implementing further defense mechanisms within the product to make TeamViewer even more secure.

Please understand that we are not communicating how and which security measures we are taking exactly.

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Esther,

I sincerely appreciate your reply regarding my post.  I'm also happy to hear that there actually is something being done internally.  You're simple statement would have been enough for me to continue to feel comfortable enough to use TV.  The way in which things were actually communicated should be modified IMO so that others don't become misconstrued that there is nothing being done internally.  "TeamViewer cannot take any steps in prevention regarding the case" is not what I would expect to read as a reply from a report.  Again, a simple "we are looking into the matter and will take any necessary measures as a result of the investigation" would have been sufficient for me.  We don't need to know how, but just that something will be done.

I thank you for taking the time to reply again.

K

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @r1crusher

Thanks for getting back to me and thank you for your honest feedback.

I am also forwarding your feedback internally to avoid confusion in the future.

Thanks and all the best, Esther 

Former Community Manager