Posted by jornin
Digon

Why does TeamViewer need my street address if I'm using the software for personal use?

I already filled out the ticket. I use TV to log into a computer in the other room of my house. It's a media server that plays movies in my bedroom and my living room. I also use it to help my mother-in-law. I explained all of this in the ticket. I also explained that I don't work right now and that I have never logged into a commercial server with TV. 

Yet after two weeks you want to tell me that my usage pattern is still unclear to you and I need to fill out a "Declaration of private use" that demands my street address.

WHY?

What is going to change if I give you my street address? The "Declaration of private use" asks for no other information about my TV use. My address is the only new info you will receive from the new form.

Are you going to mail me things?

if so...

The ""Declaration of private use" form states "I am aware that the TeamViewer GmbH is entitled to block my device completely in case of detected/verified abuse."  If for some inane reason I am blocked permanently for accessing my living room computer, you still have my address. What are you going to do with it then? Will you mail me stuff after blocking me permanently?

If I am already getting tagged for commercial use, how does this "I am aware that the TeamViewer GmbH is entitled to block my device completely in case of detected/verified abuse."  effct me when you make a mistake again? I'm seeing many threads online, reddit, and so on, where people in similiar situtions are getting tagged multiple times.

Separate thought.
Why is everything and everyone relate to this process so unhelpful?

6 Replies
6 Replies
Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Re: Why does TeamViewer need my street address if I'm using the software for personal use?

Hi @jornin,

perhaps it is a double check. I hope this can clarify.

Regards.

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Posted by jornin
Digon

Re: Why does TeamViewer need my street address if I'm using the software for personal use?

Having my home address and pinpointing my exact location on the planet doesn't tell TeamViewer anything about my usage. Which is what they are claiming the problem is.

Apparently TeamViewer makes the decisions about commercial usage on things like running Plex, or having Linux as your operating system. Giving them my address isn't going to change that. Maybe they should be more honest about what qualifies as personal use, because nothing on this "community" mentions that. You have to talk to someone on the phone to get that answer.
Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Hi @jornin,

TeamViewer already knows what use you make of their product. Every time you log in, they know your IP and the IP of the machines you connect to: obviously switching from TeamViewer servers to get back to your subnet can be expensive (connection to your media center). In this case, learning how to use SSH can completely exclude the use of TeamViewer. But this is only my opinion.

Check the area / district where you live would help to make a further matching.
Your credentials -> your IP -> your area -> your declaration that you use it only for personal purposes.

In any case, if you do not want to provide this detail, you have every right to do it. However, I believe that TeamViewer's goal is to improve their discrimination system between correct use and incorrect use of the tool in free mode. In this case, complaining is of little help, but providing elements that corroborate proper use could help their technicians to fine-tune their controls.
At the bottom it is only software, therefore perfectible.

Just my opinion.

Regards.

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Posted by jornin
Digon

TeamViewer's “Why do I see 'Commercial use suspected' / 'Commercial use detected' and "How exactly is "personal use" defined" pages mention nothing about running HTPC's, Plex servers, or Linux as a violation of their personal use policy.  But, a few of us on who have actually gotten to talk to someone on the phone, have heard that all three of these things could be whats causing us to get flagged as commercial use. My phone call had nothing to do with the ticket I submitted, the people on the phone refused to discuss any filed tickets.
Today, when I got the email saying “Thank you for your request regarding being unblocked from using the free version of TeamViewer. After reviewing the information provided to us, we were unable to confirm that the submitted ID is being used privately.” they also provided the form that requested my address.
Soooo... If TeamViewer already has vague policies that are going to claim running an HTPC or using linux is a violation of personal use, my address isn’t going to do anything to change that.
Instead, it seems like an attempt to sell personal use subscriptions which people are being quoted at running $99-149 a year.
Maybe someone from TeamView could clarify if they actually want my address to “make the software better.” Or, they could clarify their policies on personal use and let all of us getting tagged for this know that running an HTPC, Plex, or Linux are ineligible for free use.
I chose to complain here because I seem to be a bit farther into the process of dealing with TeamViewer on this issue then other people. So bare minimum, I wanted to let other people know what they might be up against.
Does anyone from TeamViewer actually answer questions here?

Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jornin

Thanks for your post and your question.

Providing also your postal address is your official confirmation to us that you will not use TeamViewer commercially. As part of this, your address acts as a verification of your identity.

We will not use this to send you letters or advertisements.

Thanks and all the best, Esther

Posted by skiplong
Photon

@jornin I'm in the same situation as you.

Did you submit the form?, and if yes, have they lifted the ban?, and if yes, have you been able to use the Personal license since?

Thanks