Why is password there when I didn't set one?

My TV is currently 12.0.82216, on an XP machine.  In Security - Personal Password - Password, there are black dots.  But I don't remember ever setting this password.

Now , when I try to access this XP machine from another PC on the same LAN, using LAN access, I'm prompted for this password, but I don't know it.

Sitting in front of the target XP machine, is there a way to see this password?  Thanks.

Comments

• glnz
    glnz Posts: 44

Sorry - need answer to this.  Thanks.

• glnz

Apologies.  I finally guessed this password, which means I DID set it at some point, even if I don't remember when.

Problem is that I never had to enter this password until a few days ago when I tried the LAN connection for the first time.  Now I need to use it to connect.

My question is still valid - sitting in front of the target-host machine, how would I be able to see the password?

TV is good, esp for a free program for personal use.  But its details are NOT explained well.  There are various permutations of the settings, and we all have to feel our way.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @glnz

No, there is no way to see this password. 

Please have a look on our Security page for further information. There you´ll also find our Security Statement.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to post them in our Community.

All the best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• glnz

Esther - thanks.  However, my confusion over the password comes from not having to need to enter it for literally years until I first tried using the LAN connection two days ago.

All this time, using TV normally from a different location (not on the LAN), I never needed to insert this password.  Why now, and why only over the LAN?

There aren't any instruction that show the interactions among the password and other settings.  Such as "Grant [me] easy access", which is off.  Or "Random Password after each session" (which is Keep Current).

Maybe time to update all your YouTube videos, and get into this in detail?