IoT Remote AppControl solution and Synology NAS boxes

_Andreas_
_Andreas_ Posts: 19 Staff member 🤠
edited April 2023 in IoT Forum

Hi there,

As a side product for making IoT devices accessible to you through their web interface, we also quickly thought about how this could work for enabling remote support. So, we dug into the code and ported our IoT Remote AppControl solution to Synology NAS boxes, making it possible to access these devices from anywhere!

When tracking the device landscape out there, there is definitively a trend to replace large standalone servers with small, easy to administer NAS boxes. They are quick to set up, do not eat up too much space and are convenient to use. So especially SMBs/SMEs and home users start to pick them up more and more for easy file sharing or backup purposes. These boxes also create add on values by offering interfaces to calendars, web mails, audio players, photo collections and more. And now, you can easily access everything on there just by double clicking a device in your TeamViewer Computers & Contacts List.

To support you more, the first two devices are free of charge. For adding more devices or to get more information please go here

And here is how you start:

Connect to you Synology NAS and open the Package Center application.

Search for TeamViewer application and install. If it does not show up in the Package Center, please visit the Synology Add-on Packages Website and check if your model is supported.

Once you finish the installation, the Assignment Wizard will start if you had previously selected the run after installation checkbox in the last screen or just open TeamViewer on the NAS from the Main Menu.

There are two ways to do the Assignment:

As the easiest way, if your device is in the same subnet/network, you can use the Nearby contacts and devices feature of TeamViewer.

Just click the “Add item”- button in your TeamViewer Computers & Contacts List and select Nearby contacts and devices. A list with all devices in the same network running TeamViewer will show up and you should be able to locate your Synology NAS device in this list. Just double click on it, and you are all set: You can now directly connect to your device.

Please note that now, because the device is assigned to your account, it will no longer appear in the Nearby contacts and devices list.

If the device is not located in your subnet/network or cannot be found, you will need to do a few more clicks. In the assignment wizard click on the I don’t have my device located nearby button.

You will find Your ID in the next dialog. Add the ID to your Computers & Contacts list in Teamviewer Application by selecting Add item --> Add remote computer. Enter the ID as TeamViewer ID in the shown dialog. and press OK. The device needs to be added in a Group that you have ownership.

You cannot connect to your Synology NAS because the device is not assigned to your account yet.

To do this, in the Assignment Wizard click next to get the Personal Password for assignment. Enter the Password in the device's menu and from now you can connect to your Synology NAS device.

Go ahead, double click on your new entry in the Computers & Contacts list, log in and start enjoying your DiskStation from everywhere. Download files or listen to your music -- (almost) everything is possible now, and all via TeamViewer.

Please note that there are some known issues:

• Connections are currently only possible from TeamViewer 13.1 running on Windows.
  • Connections to devices running DSM 7.0 are only possible from TeamViewer 15 running on Windows.
  • macOS, Linux or mobile clients are not supported.
  • Links opening a new browser window will not work, so MailStation or VideoStation (just to name a few), will not be able to run.

Best,

Andreas

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Aardappel
    Aardappel Posts: 2
    If only this would work on the Synology RT2600ac router aswell, that would solve a lot of my headaches!
  • PatrickG
    PatrickG Posts: 40 [Former Staff]

Hi @Aardappel,

Thank you for your feedback. Did you try to install our agent for 

32 bit:https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/synology/1.0.6153/i386/teamviewer-1.0.6153_i386.spk

64 bit: https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/synology/1.0.6153/amd64/teamviewer-1.0.6153_amd64.spk

already? If you encountered any issue during the installation, was there any error message, screenshot, you can provide?

Thanks,

Patrick

• Kris-I
    Kris-I Posts: 1

For the DS414j it's which package ? The CPU is "Marvell Armada XP MV78230"

Thanks,

• ThomasB
    ThomasB Posts: 2

great news indeed ! thank you.

just installed on both DS413J and DS1515+ and seems to be Ok. 

less noise, more signal
  • PatrickG

Hi @Kris-I

Thank you for your question.

Please try to install the package for armv7 on the DS414j which should be the appropriate version for a Marvell Armada XP MV78230 CPU. 

https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/synology/1.0.6153/armv7/teamviewer-1.0.6153_armv7.spk?_ga=2.151603455.752631102.1527491520-1505433083.1510061617

If you have any questions, feel free to get back to us again.

• thomkimpe
    thomkimpe Posts: 4

Hello
    I downloaded and installed the ARMV7 package for my 218Play but when I start the TeamViewer application on my Nas I get no ID......

The package seems stopped and when I force it to start it stops immediately!

Thanks

Thomas

• _Andreas_

Hi Thomas!

It seems that the new Synology models sport an architecture that we did not support, yet. We now uploaded the packages for the 218play and others, you can find them at https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/synology/1.0.6139/aarch64/teamviewer-1.0.6139_aarch64.spk

Best,

Andreas

• thomkimpe

Thanks Andreas,

My nas is yet appaired but i don't access to.

My nas reject the connexion. why? is it necessary to configure the firewall?

Best regard

Thomas 

• Aardappel
    Aardappel Posts: 2

did you add the synology to your trusted devices list of your TV account first?

if not you cannot connect to it, for security reasons - which was an excellent idea to avoid hijacking

• thomkimpe

I try on my macbook pro and it doesn't work but on my Windows10 pc it's ok !!

Strange....

Thanks for your help 

Best regard

Thomas

• _Andreas_
    Hi Thomas! Right now you can only connect from Windows to your Synology. Given that the Synology Preview will move to mainline TeamViewer, mac will be also supported, of course. Best, Andreas
  • EmualliuG
    EmualliuG Posts: 1

I can connect to my Synology, but all I get is a white screen! (I have a DS214Play)

• PatrickG

Hi @EmualliuG,

Thank you for your post!

The agent is compatible with a Synology DS214 Play, if you see nothing than a white screen, then your TeamViewer version on your computer might not be the latest version.

Can you please update your TeamViewer on your Windows PC to the latest version and try again?

If the issue still persists, please do get back to us again.

• ThomasB
    ThomasB Posts: 2

hi

on both DS1515+ and DS413J with DSM6.2 teamviewer is working perfectely. However i ned to tighten my firewall and was wondering if the synology version of teamviewer is also using in priority port 5398 the 443 then 80. if not what is the primary port ?

Thank you

less noise, more signal
  • thomkimpe

Don't forget to open 5000 and 5001 http port on your adsl box To access your nas on a Web browser ! 

• _Andreas_

No, you don't have to any ports. That is the whole sense behind using TeamViewer: To not make your device accessible for the world. You can open the standard TeamViewer port, but usually that is not necessary.

• rschunk-falch
    rschunk-falch Posts: 3 ✭✭

hello,

for me there is no assign to account button.

and when i want to connect it rejcts me every time.

DS214+

PC:Windows 10

could anyone help me?

best regards

robin

• PatrickG

Hello @rschunk-falch,

Thank you for your message. Please open your TeamViewer on your Windows 10 computer and search for "Nearby contacts and devices". If the Synology device does not show up, please open TeamViewer on the Synology device and note down the ID and Password of the device. Add a remote computer on your Computer & Contact list and enter the TeamViewer ID and Password on the "Properties". You should now be able to access your device by double clicking on the device on your Computer & Contact list.

Otherwise we can offer you a remote session to assist you assigning the device to your account. 

Best regards,
    Patrick

• rschunk-falch
    rschunk-falch Posts: 3 ✭✭

hello @PatrickG,

sadly i tried this bevore, the synology could not be found in the nearby section and when i added it under computer & contact list i couldt conect either.

yes that would be perfect for me with your help.

best regards robin

• PatrickG

@rschunk-falch

We figured out, that the device was assigned to a group that required additional permissions to add new devices to. If you add a device to the group "My Computers", the Option "Assign to Account" will appear.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to get back to us anytime.

• Pattiack
    Pattiack Posts: 2

Hey,

I can connect to my DS918+ but if I start the "Package Center" the connection breaks up with the message: "connection has been terminated" (or something similar).

And after that my DS918+ is shown as offline in the teamviewer application.

So teamviewer stopped on my DS and i have to start the application manually.

This is bad, because I only  can start it manually from home.

• wboevink
    wboevink Posts: 3

Works great on my DS415play and DS416,  are there any plans to release this for the synology royters e.g. RT2600ac?

• PatrickG

Hi @wboevink

Thank you for your feedback. Did you try to install our agent for 

32 bit:https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/synology/1.0.6153/i386/teamviewer-1.0.6153_i386.spk

64 bit: https://download.teamviewer-iot.com/synology/1.0.6153/amd64/teamviewer-1.0.6153_amd64.spk

on your RT2600ac already? If you encounter any issues during the installation, please provide us with the error message / screenshot of the error shown so we can investigate further.

Thanks,

Patrick

• PatrickG

Hi @Pattiack

Can you please download the log files of the agent and submit a ticket via https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/ with the log files attached?

We will then be happy to investigate on this further.

Thanks!

• Hi!

Is the Teamviewer Synology app able to send WoL requests to computers that have Teamviewer installed and are on the same network?

• Pattiack
    Pattiack Posts: 2

Hey,

I think you can not send WOL requests from TeamViewer on the Synology at the moment.

But I found a solution: Your Synology and your PC must be on the same network:

Create a user-defined task on your Synology

At the task settings fill in the following line at "user-defined script":

synonet --wake XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX eth0 

(instead of the XX you put in your MAC-Adress)

After that you can run the task manuelly and your PC shuld start up.

• morow
    morow Posts: 3

I've installed on 1817+ (teamviewer-1.0.6153_amd64.spk) and I can see the Synology in my contact list on my PC (Version: 13.1.3629) but when I try connect it I get error message "Connection could not be established".

• wboevink

Did you assign your Diskstation to your Teamviewer account? See the manual at the top ;-)

• morow
    morow Posts: 3
    Yes the Synology is under my account.
    The "Nearby contacts and devices" was not able to see the Synology TeamViewer but I added the Synology TW information manually. It's in my contact list I can see it's online in "My partners" list.
    When I double click it tries to connect and for a split second I can see message with the yellow stripe on the bottom "Connecting -Authenticating" and it changes to "Connection not established - A connection could not be established"
  • wboevink

Did you open the teamviewer app on your Diskstation? I believe that's the place where you actually assign it to your teamviewer account.large.png