connecting to a remote laptop whose lid is closed

When connecting to a remote laptop whose lid is closed, some of the remote laptop's programs do not display correctly.  Why and is this normal?

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @skrambam,

Thank you for your message.

Indeed, having the lid of the laptop closed is considered on a technical side as "not having a remote monitor".

It might in some cases (some specific programs) cause display issues.

There is, unfortunately, no way to prevent this.

I thank you in advance for your understanding.

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• The following worked for me. Hopefully it will work for others…

I am running Windows 10 v1909.  The remove laptop is Windows 10 v1903.

With the lid closed, do the following (even though you don't see anything - Windows is still running, but it is not sending anything to a closed display):

1. Windows Key + letter 'P' (will open the setting for multiple displays *)
    2. Press Enter 

If the above doesn't work, press Windows key + 'P' more than once to toggle between different options:

PC screen only / Duplicate / Extend / Second screen only

Another thing that worked for me when the remote screen was not responding, and after doing the above, was toggling TeamViewer option Hide wallpaper on/off..

* IMPORTANT Make sure you have enabled the TeamViewer option Send key combinations for the remote computer.

• Hope this helps someone else as it did me.  From another site:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2234833-closing-laptop-lid-breaks-remote-control-program

• Doesn't work for me.

The toggle (Windows +P key) works on the laptop while the lid is closed, but doesn't show on my Teamviewer screen / session.

as soon as the lid is opened, teamviewer sessions works again.

• PuddingSlime
    PuddingSlime Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited December 2023

I had this same issue - Team Viewer could not connect when the laptop lid was closed, but for me it arose seemingly randomly after months of having no issues.

For me it seems like it was caused by setting Project with an external monitor to Second Screen Only. The only thing that worked was plugging in the external monitor and changing back to Duplicate. Then Team Viewer worked again when the lid was closed.

• PuddingSlime
    PuddingSlime Posts: 2 ✭✭

My laptop also resized the screen when the lid was closed. Do fix this, when connecting via TeamViewer with the lid closed, go to Windows settings and change the resolution. The laptop should remember the resolution. Changing the resolution in TeamViewer would reset for me every connection, but changing it in Windows worked.

• oba
    oba Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited January 4