Unfortunately, there have been some instances of malicious use of our software, “TeamViewer”. Scammers attempt to sell their services via phone by claiming that your device is infected by malware.
TeamViewer Germany GmbH is a legitimate software development company. We take the privacy and security of our customers’ and partners’ personal information very seriously.
This article applies to everyone. Stay safe!
We can assure you, TeamViewer Germany GmbH is not associated with, or responsible for, any of these instances.
Advice to everyone
We advise TeamViewer users to be careful with unsolicited phone calls and to not grant access to your devices (e.g. PC or mobile) to anyone you do not know or trust.
TeamViewer does not provide remote support services of any kind. Our activities are limited to developing and selling the software tools that providers use to offer remote support services.
TeamViewer provides various features to prevent unauthorized access and to ensure your privacy and security:
- Access to a device is only possible with both its TeamViewer ID and password.
- For data protection reasons, it is not possible to invisibly control a computer. A small dialog is displayed in the bottom right corner of your desktop after you grant access to your device.
- One-time-only passwords for TeamViewer connections. A new password is generated with every software start. Therefore, repeated access is impossible if you shut down TeamViewer after a session ends.
- Additional confirmation is required for security-relevant functions like file transfer. It is impossible to transfer files to your device without your knowledge.
- Highly encrypted sessions (using the same standards as HTTPS or SSL). TeamViewer is considered completely safe by today's standards and is used by financial institutions and government facilities.
- Two-factor authentication for your TeamViewer account. Protect your account credentials with an optional factor in addition to name and password. (If you do not do that, the feature Trusted devices applies)
- Use the Block- or Allowlist in the TeamViewer full version to restrict access to your devices. Deny incoming connections for specific TeamViewer IDs or only allow connections for defined TeamViewer IDs.
Report a scam
If you have experienced or suspect a case of malicious use of TeamViewer, please contact our privacy team via the report a scam form on this page: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/report-a-scam/
We also recommend you to change all your passwords on all platforms to be on the safe side.
Please see also this post about scammers to find some additional information:
Educate your loved ones: A typical scam call
You find this image also attached as a printable PDF. Feel free to print it and hand it over to your friends or family members to raise their awareness regarding scam calls.