Server reboots for patching

Options

I'm new to using TV monitoring so maybe this has already been discussed.  In addition to the servers themselves, I also monitor specific services on each of them based on their role(s).  When my servers reboot for patches I get a flood of alerts from not only the servers themselves (because the longest time I can set the online policy for is 10 minutes) but also alerts for each of the services that I'm monitoring.  Once the servers come back up I get all the alerts all over again, but as recovered/online.  Each of these alerts in turn becomes a ticket in my ticketing system.  I've created a policy to shut off all alerting for when I'm doing work on the server(s) and know I have to reboot them but short of doing that every Saturday for patches and then undoing it Sunday, I haven't figured out a better way of managing these alerts during normal reboots for patches.  I am using the patch management module as well so I would have thought there would have been an internal solution already but haven't found one yet.  Has anyone come across this and how have you managed it?

Dan Snyder

Best Answer

Answers