Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day

Esther
Esther Posts: 4,051 Former Community Manager
edited April 2023 in Blog

Yo Ho Ho and Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day, Lads 🎉

It must have been a couple of years ago when I learned about the Talk like a Pirate Day. It was during a lunch break at work and I still remember how some of us were joking around and thinking about possible names for features and settings within TeamViewer.

Since that day, I was secretly hoping for a Pirate language-selector in the TeamViewer settings - specifically on or for that day 😉 You might have seen it in other programs like Google, Outlook, or Facebook already. Like them, I love the idea - aye!

But before going into the details, let´s first clarify one thing:

What is the "Talk Like A Pirate Day"

Created in 1995, each year on September 19th the world is celebrating the Talk like A Pirate Day.

It´s a parodic holiday and the idea of the two friends, John Baur and Mark Summers, to talk like a pirate for one day - initially as a joke between friends. Arrr - but as some things go, their idea went viral, and now, it is a joyful day celebrated internationally.

To clarify: It is not about the real scary piracy but a kind of captain-jack-sparrow-fun we all adored since we were kids (or didn´t you play pirate back then?) 🏝

"Pirate" as language in the settings?

So - the idea was to offer a funny language variant of TeamViewer that is in a kind of Pirate language.

If you now think WHAT?! and wonder what I mean with that, allow me to showcase you the idea:

For this, I went down the deck and designed a pre-view so that we talk about the same (like a pirate of course 😉).

First, let´s go into the advanced TeamViewer settings and switch the language to Pirate.

Disclaimer: This is an edited screenshot - so don´t be disappointed when you do not see "Pirate" in the language switch 🙌

Do you want to go further wit´ this? Ok - let´s go 😉

Once you open your TeamViewer again after the language switch, you will see a slightly changed TeamViewer UI with Pirate instead of English or the language you used to have yer TeamView-arr in.

Admittingly - I am not fluent in Pirate and my version might not be perfect, but I think we are on a good way, aye tar?

Do ye talk Pirate, too?

Now it´s yer turn: Do ye have any good ideas on how to name some of our other features and settings?

I am curious to hear about yer ideas and suggestions (to make our special language version better). As I am still secretly hoping to get such a version in real life, I think, the better the ideas the easier it is to pitch our awesome ideas to our Product Management. And who knows... maybe they think about a special release for the next Talk Like A Pirate Day 🙌 Arrr!

Aye aye,

Estharr

Former Community Manager

Tagged:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.