Don´t let anyone rush you (Rule #3 Stay calm)

Options
Esther
Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
edited April 2023 in Blog

Are you someone who enjoys going for a long walk?

Or do you take your time to celebrate a great meal? Are you maybe someone who needs a little bit more time in the morning to wake up and get settled for the day like I do? 

If yes – this tip is easy for you to achieve: Stay calm and do not let anybody rush you to make a decision you have not thought through completely. 

If not – Don´t worry. You don´t need to change your everyday behavior. However, there are situations in which staying calm and taking a deep breath can protect you from falling for a scam attempt.  

Do you wonder why? 👉 Because rushing people has been a well-known tactic to make someone else do what you want since the dawn of mankind. It is also a tactic that scammers use frequently.  

Why is rushing people so successful?

Rushing people is often successful because normal people like you and me might forget what we learned when there is urgency – when we feel the time is running out or we are missing out on something important. Our fight or flight response kicks in and we might not act rationally at this stage.

💡 Let´s keep in mind: We are not action heroes and neither do we have to be one. 

Therefore, it is particularly good advice to stay calm and think twice every time you feel that someone tries to rush you and make you take an urgent decision. Ask yourself: Is it just another scammer trying to trick you? The answer is most likely yes. 

Stop for a moment before making a decision. Challenge what you are being asked, could this be fake? It’s ok to reject, refuse or ignore requests. Only criminals will try to rush or panic you. Protect your money by contacting your bank immediately on a different device that the scammer has contacted you on. If you think you have been the victim of a scam, report it to your local police force. 

Make the plausibility test

Whatever they tell you to make you feel rushed – slow down and take your time to think about what is being asked of you. They also might use fancy technical words you do not know to make you think they are more competent than you are, but this is all part of their scam. You should ask yourself the following question: Does it really sound plausible? Do I have any way to prove whether what they want to make me believe is correct?  

My recommendation is: Better stay safe, hang up and make yourself a cup of tea, and don´t give scammers a chance to trick you.  

Let me repeat the advice we highlighted in our first two tips Rule #1 Recognise it´s real and Rule #2 Stay alert:  

Only install software or grant remote access to your computer if you’re asked by someone you know and trust, such as a friend or family member, and never as a result of an unsolicited call, browser pop up, or text message. 

Former Community Manager

Tagged:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.