Linux Day: 26th Anniversary On The 26th of August

Options
Esther
Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
edited April 2023 in Blog

Linux-Day.png
There is a never-ending debate on whether Linux is an operating system or not.

If you ask people in the field of IT, they could spare you some time and say that it is basically an OS.

But technically, Linux is a kernel which we can define as the base structure or framework an OS is built around.

I could carry on another day with contradicting arguments for both sides but we’re not here to talk about what Linux is, so let’s carry on and focus on the celebration.

Most of us are aware of the then 21- year old Finnish student’s modest online posting on a Usenet newsgroup that went like this:

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486)
AT clones.

This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready.
I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get
something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want.
Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
Linus (torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(."

Little did we know that this now 26-year-old post on Usenet carried on to significantly change the world of computing.

This was how a young Linus Torvalds, basically introduced Linux to the world without him even realizing how big it would get one day!

What started out as a hobby is now easily the biggest free open source operating system.

Not only does Linux come in various flavors (known as distributions) like the popular Ubuntu, it is also known to be used by tech giants to develop their own operating systems on top of it such as Firefox OS, Chrome OS, and of course Android.

Other than developing other operating systems, Linux is also found running on NASA computers, The United States Department of Defense, and IBM to name a few massive corporations.

Thank You For 26 Years

Linux Day is a grassroots network that coordinates the global celebration of Linux's anniversary every year as a form of thanksgiving.

Linux Day is celebrated every August 25, or on the Saturday closest to August 25 if it does not fall on a Saturday.

The Linux Day Advisory Council develops the initiative's overall strategy, formulates ideas on how to make Linux Day events and related projects better, and assists in outreach to industry partners.

Last year, Linux Day fell on August 27th and there were 9 teams spread over 5 countries to celebrate Linux Day. Those countries included Bangladesh, India, Mexico, and Philippines.

Each team had their own unique way of enjoying the day. Some teams had lectures, opened booths, and some even did a hands-on workshop, all dedicated to Linux!

Many were sessions about the history and major Linux moments.

This year, Linux Day celebration falls on August 26th.

How do you plan on celebrating it? Have you signed up your team yet?

Tell us more about your plans in the comments below!

Former Community Manager

Tagged:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.