TeamViewer's next generation of device management

Options
JeanK
JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
edited July 2023 in Blog

Nowadays, seamless remote access and efficient device management are crucial for our customers. This is why we have released our next generation of device management, which empowers organizations with full control and flexibility, transforming how we manage and interact with our interconnected devices.

Join us as we explore how to update your devices to the new system and how the new features and improvements will shape the future of remote device management.

Why should I update my devices?

Migrating your devices to TeamViewer's next generation of device management provides several advantages for administrators.

Flexibility  

With the new device management system, as an administrator, you can add devices to multiple groups. Furthermore, it gives you the ability to organize ownership based on groups, not individuals. This that you can easily manage devices within a group without worrying about individual ownership of each device.

Scalability

Additionally, this new device management is scalable, allowing you to manage large fleets of devices with ease. You can assign device group rights to multiple managers with different access levels.

Stability

Finally, this device management provides improved stability, with built-in error recovery and delivery of changes even after a device goes offline. This ensures that administrators can manage devices smoothly without any interruptions.

More permissions

Last but not least, this new device management system comes with a range of enhancements, such as more flexible device ​permissions, e.g., for manager, policy, and group administration.

How to update my devices

You can update your devices by following our video guide below:

Alternatively, you can find here our complete guide on how to update your devices to TeamViewer's next generation of device management:

📄 Update your devices - Complete guide

💡Hint: We recommend using the automated update. This is the safest and most efficient way to update all of your devices.

Limitations to keep in mind

It's important to note a few limitations when using TeamViewer's next generation of device management.

• Firstly, only online devices will be updated. This means that offline devices will not be updated until they come back online.
  • Secondly, if a device has been offline for a while, it may take some time for it to update once it comes back online.
  • Finally, every group admin must perform the update separately.

If you have any questions, please ask them in the thread below. We'll be happy to support you further!

All the best,

/JeanK

Community Manager

Comments

• TConard
    TConard Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @JeanK. This Device Management function is confusing. Will you please clear up what the differences are between a standard list of managed devices that run the TeamViewer Host client and show up in groups within our console, and this new functionality?

This article here: https://community.teamviewer.com/English/kb/articles/106782-managed-devices-general-information

..states that "A Managed Device is a device assigned to a TeamViewer account or part of a Device Group." However, this is already true for all of our computers but we are not using the new feature, as suggested by the client status here:

What am I missing? What is the difference, and why should I change?

Is there something wrong with the article I linked (ambiguity?) or am I just misunderstanding?

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.