Announcements
Highlighted
Posted by ANS
Electron

MSI Assignment Option with %computername% does not work

I have tried various options to install TeamViewer using MSI with the option to use the computername, and none have worked.

Here are the command that should work according to TeamViewer:

msiexec.exe /i "\\MyDomain\MyPath\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn APITOKEN=<YOUR_APITOKEN> ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--alias %COMPUTERNAME%"

This command works:

msiexec.exe /i "\\MyDomain\MyPath\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn APITOKEN=<YOUR_APITOKEN> ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="grant-easy-access"

I have also tried many variations with quotes.  It seems to be an issue with the the space after "--alias ".

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by ANS
Electron
Solution

Re: MSI Assignment Option with %computername% does not work

I found the issue.

Does not work in Powershell, only in CommandLine.

This works in CommandLine:

start msiexec /i "\\MyDomain\MyPath\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=<MYConfigID> APITOKEN=<MYToken> IMPORTREGFILE=1 ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--reassign --alias ""%COMPUTERNAME%"" --group ""MyGroup"" --grant-easy-access"

I will have to try different methods to invoke this command from a Powershell script.

Thanks.

3 Replies
Posted by ANS
Electron
Solution

I found the issue.

Does not work in Powershell, only in CommandLine.

This works in CommandLine:

start msiexec /i "\\MyDomain\MyPath\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=<MYConfigID> APITOKEN=<MYToken> IMPORTREGFILE=1 ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--reassign --alias ""%COMPUTERNAME%"" --group ""MyGroup"" --grant-easy-access"

I will have to try different methods to invoke this command from a Powershell script.

Thanks.

Posted by ITjake
Henagon

based on the manual they posted, you're supposed to use 'single quotation marks' when youre adding names with spaces inside of the "argument". Please try copy pasting the following:

start msiexec /i "\\MyDomain\MyPath\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=<MYConfigID> APITOKEN=<MYToken> IMPORTREGFILE=1 ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--reassign --alias "'%COMPUTERNAME%'" --group "'MyGroup'" --grant-easy-access"

Posted by amorrow
Photon

In PowerShell you need to use $env:COMPUTERNAME instead of %COMPUTERNAME% for the variable. You may also use the Start-Process cmdlet to execute MSIEXEC and pass all the options to it using the -ArgumentList parameter. Finally, try using the backtick character (` on the tilde key for US QWERTY keyboards) to escape the quotation marks in strings for PowerShell..

Example:

start-process -Wait msiexec -ArgumentList "/i `"\\MyDomain\MyPath\TeamViewer_Host.msi`" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=<MYConfigID> APITOKEN=<MYToken> IMPORTREGFILE=1 ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS=`"--reassign --alias `"$env:COMPUTERNAME`" --group `"MyGroup`" --grant-easy-access"