I'm Kind Of Concerned

Options
Hachiko
Hachiko Posts: 1
edited November 2021 in General questions

So I'm using a school computer, and I don't use it for anything other than school most of the time, but today I got a notifaction saying that TeamViewer was being installed even though I never installed it or even heard of it. I came here to ask if my teacher could have installed this and if so does this let me teacher see what I am doing or what does it do? I'm concerned that it may be a virus or something, I don't have a lot of experience with computers as I only ever used them for entertainment and emailing before online schooling started. If someone could please tell me what might be going on I would greatly apreciate it. Also I have zero experience in this website so I'm sorry if I mess something up.

Comments

• TotalPC
    TotalPC Posts: 87 ⭐Star⭐
    Options

Hello @Hachiko,

Welcome to the TeamViewer Community!

If it's a personal computer that you own no one should be able to install anything without you knowing. If it's a system the school manages, they very well could have installed it without you knowing. TeamViewer itself is not at all a Virus. However, hackers do take advantage of the easy remote access features that TeamViewer offers and use it in ways to gain control of devices. It could be possible to get a virus (trojan) and the virus install and configure TeamViewer to gain control over your device.

If you didn't install it, try uninstalling it. If you are prompted to enter admin credentials and don't know them, sounds like the school did it, but you may want to verify it with their I.T. Department or whoever is responsible for loaning you the device.

I hope that information helps.

Cheers!
    -Josh

TeamViewer user since version 6 (2010). We used other remote software programs (TVNC UVNC PCAny) for many years before.