Personal Use at work - keep getting kicked and delayed

FuzzieStump
FuzzieStump Posts: 1
edited March 21 in Licensing

I'm a non-commercial user, and I use TeamViewer to connect from my work PC to my home PC. I dont use it very often, but when I tried today, I was disconnected after about 2 minutes, and when I tried to reconnect, it said immediate reconnections were delayed based on my license (or something like that). It then told me I was blocked for 1 minute. Tried again after a minute, and it then blocked me for 2 minutes. I keep waiting past the 'block period', but it keeps blocking me.

I dont know if they suspect commercial use, or if there's some sort of problem with the license server, but I really need to work on my home PC right now, and this is quite frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks!!

Best Answers

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓

Hello @FuzzieStump

Thanks for your post.

Connections to or from a workplace or work device, for any reason, are considered commercial use and require a license. Please see the snippet below:

TeamViewer was made free for personal, home-to-home use - any usage within a commercial environment would be limited without a license. This is why you are limited in the connections.

More info is here:

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• JoshP
    Answer ✓

Hello @Grimmdawg

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

The reason your connections have been flagged as commercial is due to the locations of the connections; as mentioned in the following comment, connections to or from a workplace environment, for any reason, is considered commercial use.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Josh P.

---

Answers

• halbon
    halbon Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I do own a business account as well but I always keep the connections separately. However, suddenly I lost my connection with the personal account yesterday asking for an upgrade to the business account. Again, I only use this account for a personal use. Please help me reinstate this as I am away and now I can't connect home! Thanks
  • JoshP
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓

Hello @FuzzieStump

Thanks for your post.

Connections to or from a workplace or work device, for any reason, are considered commercial use and require a license. Please see the snippet below:

TeamViewer was made free for personal, home-to-home use - any usage within a commercial environment would be limited without a license. This is why you are limited in the connections.

More info is here:

Josh P.

---

• Bolick12
    Bolick12 Posts: 1

I like seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.

• d1d
    d1d Posts: 1

Seems like Teamviewer decided to recognize every connection as commercial regardless of facts. Thousands of users worldwide are complaining they can no more connect to their relatives in totally non-commercial circumstances, and TeamViewer’s team don’t give a toss about free users’ issues.

These days when many vendors improve their means for remote communicating of friends and relatives who became stripped of personal meetings, Teamviewer does exactly the opposite. Such a policy must be viewed as a new type of crime against humanity.

• Grimmdawg
    Grimmdawg Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited December 2022

says my account has been flagged for suspected using it for business purposes, I've been logging into my home PC from work that's it. NOT work related at all. how do i fix this

• JoshP
    Answer ✓

Hello @Grimmdawg

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

The reason your connections have been flagged as commercial is due to the locations of the connections; as mentioned in the following comment, connections to or from a workplace environment, for any reason, is considered commercial use.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. We apologize for any inconveniences.

Josh P.

---

• ks3010
    ks3010 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hello,

Does using teamviewer on a computer which is used for 'Work from home' count as personal use or business use?

Thank you.

• netpia11
    netpia11 Posts: 1

I'm controlling my office PC at home.

You have been prompted to use a commercial version.

I want to keep using the free version.

• Dave_Turk
    Dave_Turk Posts: 2 ✭✭

I've installed the free version on my managed and managing computers. From my managing computer the connection to the managed computer comes up but complains "It seems there might be a licensing problem". The connect works for maybe 60 seconds and then disconnects saying "Your TeamViewer session has timed-out and will be closed."

I don't have a license. I'm using the free version.

I am not a commercial entity. I am a guy trying to login remotely to my home computer from the office.

This used to work, but now it doesn't.

I've read all the Community posts I can find on the topic and it seems like TV needs to reset something on my account to convince it I'm not a commercial entity.

I've tried multiple times to create a ticket to request this reset thing to be done but every time I manage to make it to the Ticket submission screen after a few seconds it redirects me to the Community which from what I've read can't actually help me because what needs to be done can only be done by someone at TV and not someone in the Community.

REALLY FRUSTRATING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• ronogg
    ronogg Posts: 2 Newbie

I only use this program to log into my personal home computer from work or from my laptop from a different location from my home. This happened a few years ago I was able to email them to get the problem resolved. I can not find contact info for a free account.

• WickedCommonSense
    WickedCommonSense Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited March 11

I am so tired of getting flagged for commercial use when I have never used TeamViewer for commercial use, at least not what any reasonable person would consider as personal use.

According to the request form: Using TeamViewer for your business or profession – including accessing your home computer from work or connecting to your work computer from home – or for any purpose for which you directly or indirectly receive compensation constitutes commercial use and requires a subscription license in accordance with the End User License Agreement.

That part there "including accessing your home computer from work.." It seems I always get flagged when I use my PERSONAL mobile phone to access my home PC but when my phone is on the guest wifi at work. How is this remotely considered commercial use? Again, I never use any corporate, commercial of business equipment on either end of the connections, just using the provided WiFi because, oh I don't know, maybe like many others who work in huge buildings, we don't have great cellular service and are using guest wireless provided to us?

And before anyway says this is not why I am getting flagged, it has to be, 100% has to be. I never get flagged unless in this specific circumstance. Only when the internet I use is a corporate internet connection, even though all devices are personal.

Do I need to find another solution at this point? I mean losing a free customer clearly isn't of concern to TeamViewer, I am just asking so as to stop wasting my time.

• Bob_E
    Bob_E Posts: 2 ✭✭

I am in the same boat as you. I am looking for another solution as this is rediculous. IF they want to charge, then charge, but dont dangle a free account out there if you are not really going to provide it. Rediculous. I started a process on my home computer and now it is running and I cant get back in to stop it.