Corporate license

Good day, i was wondering about an unauthorized access to my pc during teamviewer session, so i just wanted to ask if it's possibile with an administrator license to enter my pc (with a corporate license) and browse personal files, i explain better:

I work for a factory (smartworking, i connect my pc to one available for me inside factory and i use a "corporate" license) and, during online session, i found some files removed from my pc; i'm sure there are no viruses or malware but rumors come to me of a teamviewer user with "administrator" license inside factory who browsed and deleted these files.

My question is: is it possible? And how can i assure no one can enter my pc while i'm logged with TM? I mean other users of the same network with greater privileges then me.

Waiting for your reply, thank you

Best Answer

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the clarification.

The image explains what you wrote perfectly! Let me try to explain what is possible and what is not possible.

1.) Yes - It is possible for others to connect to your computer via TeamViewer. If set up properly it is even possible to do this without a passport involved. But before you panic, let me explain the feature: It is called Easy Access and requires that your device is being assigned to the account of a user (e.g. the one you called the "administrator"). Luckily, you can easily check whether Easy Access or an account assignment is set up in your TeamViewer settings. (In addition, here is a link to the KB article explaining the feature: All about passwords - TeamViewer Support)

a.) Account assignment:

Accessible via Extras --> Options -> General. In this example, you see that this device is assigned to me.

If no assignment is set, it looks like this:

b.) Easy Access

Accessible via Extras --> Options -> Security. In this example, you see that this device is assigned to me, but no Easy access is granted.

But as soon as I tick the box, I could theoretically access this device remotely from another device without the need to type in a password:

What is set there on your device? You can check it in the settings 🙌

Also, there is a file in the TeamViewer folder called "Incoming_Connections.txt". This one might help you to find out whether there has been a connection to your device or not.

In any case, a connection to your device is possible. Even a connection that does not require your confirmation or a password. But for such a connection there needs to be permission given beforehand on your device! A random connection from an unauthorized person is not possible!!

And as long as you are working on your device, you will notice any connection immediately. I assume that -as soon as you are leaving your desk- you are locking your user session. This helps to prevent that anyone can access your device locally and remotely (except if anyone knows your user credentials for our Windows user account).

Let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts!

Former Community Manager

Answers

• Esther

Hi there,

Theoretically, it is possible that more than one user has a connection to a PC. However, this is indicated in the TeamViewer panel on the right side of the screen. Here you see who is connected to the device (you see the user name or the device name).

Additionally, you are sharing the mouse and the keyboard and you can´t work independently from each other. So whoever is connected with you "fights" with you for the mouse and where to go/click. If you ever had a connection with someone else and you both were trying to control the computer at the same time, you recognize this immediately. Also, you will see what the other person is doing for the same reason: You wouldn´t be able to work independently from one another.

Hope that helps,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Bryan0099
    Bryan0099 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited October 2021

Hi Esther, thank you for your reply.

Reading again my question i think there is a misunderstanding, i'll try to explain better this time, and sorry for my english:

I use a pc with a corporate license to log in on a remote pc inside factory, available for me. The missing files i was talking about were on the pc i'm using now (not the remote one; for convenience i'll call it "my pc"), and i'm sure i didn't delete them because i need them to work.

Now a collegue inside factory told me that the internal administrator of the teamviewer service inside factory (who possesses an "administrator" license and gave me the "corporate" license of the same network and can see a control panel with all the client actually logged inside network) can "enter" my pc (the one i'm using, not the remote one) while i'm connected to factory teamviewer network, without me noticing anything, and can delete/copy/modify the files on my pc.

I know that if i look on the remote pc i can see the account actually logged in on that pc and that if there's more than one it's clearly visibile from the bottom right window, but i'm referring to the pc i'm using to control it, of course there's no bottom right window.

My question is if it's possible for the administrator to enter any pc of the internal network actually using a license (an operator who just logged in, even without remote controlling any computer, just logged in with user and password) and do whatever he wants without you noticing anything? I'm asking this because of a strong sudden "lag" during remote control and the disappearance of some files from my pc just when lag ended and, of course, the advice from my collegue.

Here a simple sketch of what i'm talking about

I hope this is clear now, thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

• Esther
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the clarification.

The image explains what you wrote perfectly! Let me try to explain what is possible and what is not possible.

1.) Yes - It is possible for others to connect to your computer via TeamViewer. If set up properly it is even possible to do this without a passport involved. But before you panic, let me explain the feature: It is called Easy Access and requires that your device is being assigned to the account of a user (e.g. the one you called the "administrator"). Luckily, you can easily check whether Easy Access or an account assignment is set up in your TeamViewer settings. (In addition, here is a link to the KB article explaining the feature: All about passwords - TeamViewer Support)

a.) Account assignment:

Accessible via Extras --> Options -> General. In this example, you see that this device is assigned to me.

If no assignment is set, it looks like this:

b.) Easy Access

Accessible via Extras --> Options -> Security. In this example, you see that this device is assigned to me, but no Easy access is granted.

But as soon as I tick the box, I could theoretically access this device remotely from another device without the need to type in a password:

What is set there on your device? You can check it in the settings 🙌

Also, there is a file in the TeamViewer folder called "Incoming_Connections.txt". This one might help you to find out whether there has been a connection to your device or not.

In any case, a connection to your device is possible. Even a connection that does not require your confirmation or a password. But for such a connection there needs to be permission given beforehand on your device! A random connection from an unauthorized person is not possible!!

And as long as you are working on your device, you will notice any connection immediately. I assume that -as soon as you are leaving your desk- you are locking your user session. This helps to prevent that anyone can access your device locally and remotely (except if anyone knows your user credentials for our Windows user account).

Let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts!

Former Community Manager

• Bryan0099
    Bryan0099 Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks a lot Esther, you are very kind and you provided me with all the info i needed!

I have read your article on passwords, and with your clear explanation now i know what to do to ensure my account is protected against un-wanted intrusions! And i also found the file you were talking about and i discovered what happened.

Thanks a lot again!!

Best regards

Bryan

• Esther

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback! I am happy to hear that I could help you!

Hope to see you around in the community again soon. I am sure you can be an immense help to others with similar concerns.

Have a great day,

Esther

Former Community Manager