How can I use Notepad++ when in a teamviewer session?

frouffignac
frouffignac Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2022 in General questions

It looks like Teamviewer will not allow me to use Notepad++ through a session. Once in a remote session, If I open notepad++ on the remote computer, the whole session becomes unresponsive. I can move the mouse but I cannot click anything or type anything. I cannot minimize or close Notepad++ or any other app. The session basically becomes useless until I close Notepad++ on the remote machine but walking over to it. It's as if a modal window had opened in the background and required to be closed but there is no such thing. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix it?

Answers

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍
    edited April 2022

Hello @frouffignac

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

I attempted to replicate this using Notepad++ on my Windows 10 laptop, but I was unable to replicate any issue (when connected from my phone). I was able to click, type and operate both within and outside of the Notepad++ app with no issue.

So we may better understand the issue, to see if TeamViewer or Notepad++ may be causing it:

1. What are the devices in the connection where this occurs?
    2. What version of TeamViewer and Notepad++ are on the device?
    3. If both devices have Notepad++, can you replicate the issue if the connection is reversed? (Or, can you replicate it connecting to another device and using Notepad++?)

I would recommend starting with an uninstall/re-install of TeamViewer on the device you are using to connect to the remote machine - be sure to remove settings as well.

Thanks in advance for any more information!

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• frouffignac

Hi Josh and thanks for looking into this issue.

The machine I am connecting from is a desktop PC I built myself and runs the latest version of TeamViewer 15.28.9 64 bit fully installed and Notepad ++ v8.3.3 (64bit). The remote machine is a Lenovo laptop using the same versions of both applications, but TeamViewer is not installed, just running in "Run only (one time use)" mode. Installing it had yielded the same result before so I have reasons to think that's not the problem.

Interestingly, when reversing the connection from the laptop to the desktop, the issue does not occur.

What would that point to in your opinion?

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍

Thanks for the update, frouffignac!

As I am unable to replicate it on my devices, and your reverse connection worked, it would lead me to think the issue resides somewhere in Notepad++ on the affected device. Of course, if it has not already been attempted, I would go ahead and try a reinstall of Notepad++ to the device.

On the TeamViewer side, I agree - If the issue had not occurred when installed I would say that perhaps TeamViewer in Run Only mode was the cause. However, this information could still provide us another possible cause!

Could you please confirm if anything else appears on the screen of the affected device, such as a UAC prompt? If connected via QuickSupport, Run Only mode, or connecting to a non-admin account on a device, TeamViewer is unable to interact/view UAC prompts:

If this is even remotely possible, you could try making the connection using Windows Authentication instead of TeamViewer authentication, to see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps direct you towards the right solution, and please keep us updated on any other clarifications that may provide more context!

Have a great week 🌴

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---

• frouffignac

I also discovered that IntelliJ Community Edition is also affected by the same issue. If I bring it up I can never interact with it, or minimize or close it. I cannot switch to another app or window, I am basically stuck until I close or minimize it from the remote machine. This leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the installation (whether Notepad ++ or IntelliJ which I have re-installed as well) but has to do with some of my security software (Cyberark Endpoint and Zscaler).