Stop auto-update from creating desktop shortcuts?

Options

We deploy the TeamViewer Host without desktop shortcuts, but when it auto-updates itself it creates a new shortcut. Has anybody found a way to prevent this behaviour?

Best Answers

• flospi
    flospi Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Pupitmiser, after I opened a ticket with them, they had the solution at hand already. For new installations, you need to add "REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut" to the installation.

This will only work on fresh installations and the following updates. For the current installations, you need to remove the icon manually. We did it with a delete from within a GPO.

• AlenaC
    AlenaC Posts: 930 Moderator
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for your posts 😊😊

If you deployed the TeamViewer Host in the past using the MSI file with the option DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0, please uninstall it using:

msiexec /i "Path\To\TeamViewer.msi" /qn REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut

and try this new command as @flospi already mentioned:

msiexec /i "Path\To\TeamViewer.msi" /qn ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut

Does this remove the shortcut creation after an update?

Best,

Alena

Spanish Community Moderator :)

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,071 Moderator
    Options

Hi @bigmisha and @Brodie ,

Thanks for your feedback and clarification.

At the moment, it isn't possible to configure TeamViewer to not create a shortcut on the desktop after the auto-update.

Though, It is possible to use a policy to delete it like a start-up task or sign-in task.

Example:

Powershell

remove-item "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\TeamViewer.lnk"

cmd

"FIlepath\tvdesktop.lnk"

You can also add your request to our Ideas Hub. We cannot guarantee that your idea will be chosen for development, but it's the best way to communicate the improvement of new features you would like to see in TeamViewer.

💡Hint: If you add your request to the Ideas Hub, share it on this thread too, so others can upvote your idea.

I hope this information can help!

Best, Carol

Portuguese Community Moderator

• Anthony_L
    Anthony_L Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

We use the MSI install.

Previously we were installing the host with these parameters:

msiexec.exe /i TeamViewer_Host.msi /qn ADDLOCAL=All DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0

We installed a newer version of the host with the following parameters instead (upgrade install works; don't need to uninstall the previous version):

msiexec.exe /i TeamViewer_Host.msi /qn ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut

After that, auto-updates no longer add the desktop shortcut.

Answers

• flospi
    Options

No I haven't, but we have the same problem. I just created a ticket with TeamViewer Support.

We also disable the Outlook Plugin with the initial installation and it seems that the Autoupdate also installs that.

• Pupitmiser
    Pupitmiser Posts: 1
    Options

Has a workaround been determined for this?

I'm about to switch providers because of how obnoxious this is for my users.

If I'm paying money for a product I do not expect to be bombarded with useless clutter on the desktop.

In most cases I would like it to be known that I can remote into their machines without them seeing the software front and center.

None of the other Applications I use do this. Only you.

• flospi
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @Pupitmiser, after I opened a ticket with them, they had the solution at hand already. For new installations, you need to add "REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut" to the installation.

This will only work on fresh installations and the following updates. For the current installations, you need to remove the icon manually. We did it with a delete from within a GPO.

• CHCMATT
    CHCMATT Posts: 1
    Options
  • dFantum
    dFantum Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Second the motion.

Give us a fix for this.

• skrapshak
    skrapshak Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

+1 for a solution to stop the behavior of the software creating a desktop icon during the software update process.

Thanks!

• No_Desktop_Shortcuts
    Options

It's like playing whack-a-mole with desktop shortcuts. make it stop

• Ihateteamviewr9
    Options

Come on Teamviewer. It seems like you're intentionally trying to upset your customers at this point.

When has 'auto desktop shortcuts' ever been requested!?

• AlenaC
    AlenaC Posts: 930 Moderator
    Options

Thanks for your posts 😊😊

If you deployed the TeamViewer Host in the past using the MSI file with the option DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0, please uninstall it using:

msiexec /i "Path\To\TeamViewer.msi" /qn REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut

and try this new command as @flospi already mentioned:

msiexec /i "Path\To\TeamViewer.msi" /qn ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut

Does this remove the shortcut creation after an update?

Best,

Alena

Spanish Community Moderator :)

• bigmisha
    bigmisha Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, I don't get it, how do I add this:

"REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut" to the installation.

seems like messing with code and I'm a simpel user.

Thanks.

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,071 Moderator
    Options

Hi @bigmisha and @Brodie ,

Thanks for your feedback and clarification.

At the moment, it isn't possible to configure TeamViewer to not create a shortcut on the desktop after the auto-update.

Though, It is possible to use a policy to delete it like a start-up task or sign-in task.

Example:

Powershell

remove-item "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\TeamViewer.lnk"

cmd

"FIlepath\tvdesktop.lnk"

You can also add your request to our Ideas Hub. We cannot guarantee that your idea will be chosen for development, but it's the best way to communicate the improvement of new features you would like to see in TeamViewer.

💡Hint: If you add your request to the Ideas Hub, share it on this thread too, so others can upvote your idea.

I hope this information can help!

Best, Carol

Portuguese Community Moderator

• Ryan_O
    Ryan_O Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Options

Is this also the case for MSI installs? I have attempted the solution provided by AlenaC and it doesn't do anything. I'm a bit curious if the instruction to uninstall should have the command be using /x instead of /i, or is it meant to do an in-place update to TeamViewer making the desktop icon stop reappearing?

• d4005
    d4005 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I came here to write a post like this but I see it's pointless, nothing happens. Luckily for me I've got a batch script that runs on a regular basis so I'm going to add a powershell command to do this: remove-item "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\TeamViewer.lnk"

• d4005
    d4005 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

What's with the lack of word-wrapping on my previous post ^ ^ ^. Weird forum.

• Anthony_L
    Anthony_L Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

We use the MSI install.

Previously we were installing the host with these parameters:

msiexec.exe /i TeamViewer_Host.msi /qn ADDLOCAL=All DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=0

We installed a newer version of the host with the following parameters instead (upgrade install works; don't need to uninstall the previous version):

msiexec.exe /i TeamViewer_Host.msi /qn ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=f.DesktopShortcut

After that, auto-updates no longer add the desktop shortcut.

• skrapshak
    skrapshak Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

This is ridiculous.

There is no software product that has an engineering team worth two cents that can't stop a desktop icon from being created during an update, or an install for that matter.

I'm not sure that I should trust this product with the lack of UX and customer experience in mind by the interns that develop it. Who knows what other areas of the software that have the same lack of common sense or engineering acumen...