Why does teamviwer host cause UAC prompt on startup?

Options
HansO
HansO Posts: 12 ✭✭

Hello

We recently installed TeamViewer Host on a number of client PCs.

Now we see that a number of the PCs are showing an UAC message on windows startup wanting to run TeamViewer with the paramrter:

--dre

What this about?

Yes, we can accept the prompt at it appears it doesn't happen again. But why does it happen int the first place?

These are unmanned kiosks and we don't want users to be prompted by this.

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,988 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hello @HansO,

Maybe you could try this:

1) Right-click on TeamViewer ➜ Properties

2) Go to the Compatibility tab and untick Run this program as an administrator ➜ click OK

Let me know if this helps.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• HansO
    Options

Run as admin was already unticked.

Id like to know:

1) what is causing this behaviour? (it's happened at multiple customer sites so far)

2) how do we generally address the issue without having to manually click through the above?

• HansO
    Options

Actually, can you also clarify if "run as admin" should be ticked or not. Due to the way this is formatted it leaves be in doubt which is the right one

• JeanK
    Options

Hello @HansO,

I talked with an engineer and he told me that "run as admin" is not relevant for this issue.

This error might come from the fact that TeamViewer has been installed as a user, and not as an admin.

What we recommend trying is to uninstall TeamViewer on a computer and make sure to install it as an admin.

Let me know how the testing goes.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• HansO
    Options

I've talked with the support engineer who handled this particular case.

We normally always use a script that automatically relaunches itself as admin and the engineer reports that this how he always installs teamviewer host. He also reports that after seeing this issue for the first time he started to always reboot to test if this popup shows.

Even when it didn't show up initially the customer came back after a few days reporting that they now see the popup.

In any case, I'll try to install on test PC inhouse without installing as admin to see if this recreates the issue.

• JeanK
    Options

Sounds good - I'm looking forward to hearing from your tests.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• HansO
    Options

Hello

I think I'm a bit closer to finding the issue.

I've been able to reproduce the issue locally on a test pc and I thinl this is what happens:

We've created a script to install TeamViewer host (it launches with admin rights).

The script installs v15.24.5.0 of Teamviewer host and after installation TeamViewer works as expected and we're able to connect to the host.

I suspect that at some time afterwards the following happens:

At some point TeamViewer wants to install an update (since automatic update is currently enabled).

I suspect the update fails halfway through the update process (I'm guessing because UAC is enabled)

Afterwards there's no longer a TeamViewer service listed in Windows (and which obvoiusly means that TeamViewer Host doesn't launch during startup).

We can launch TeamViewer manually, but this causes the UAC popup pictured above to be displayed. This also requires someone to physically be present on site (these are unmanned machines that runs application fullscreen).

What can we do to get confirmation of the above? (e.g. is there any log files you can point to)

How can we address the issue, so that we can continue with automatic updates and still have UAC enabled.

• JeanK
    Options

To get the above confirmation, the best would be to ask the support engineer you spoke with.

They have all the test devices and can test the scenario you have described.

/JeanK

Community Manager