Reuse or restore original Teamviewer ID

Options
Livingbolt
Livingbolt Posts: 1
edited May 2023 in General questions

I'm sure that this has been asked before and I hate to ask, but I haven't seen an answer to this particular question.

I have 2 computers that in the last month have had windows reinstalled, and one has had an replacement motherboard from the factory and it seems that my teamviewer ID changed when I reinstalled windows.

How can I go about reusing the same original IDs for these machines? I do not want them to count against my install licenses or transfers since they are physically the same machines.

Please advise,

Chris

Tagged:

Answers

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 895 Community Manager 🌍
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hello @Livingbolt

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

Please know that the TeamViewer ID is a unique number assigned to a device upon installation. This ID is created based on the hardware and software configurations of the device.

As this ID is unique to each device, major changes to the device can cause the ID to change:

• Re-installing the operating system generally will not change the ID as identical drivers, versions, and other software information is the same before and after re-installing the OS
    • When a piece of hardware is replaced, the new hardware almost always has new information (serial, drivers, etc)

The issue with hardware replacements is that, while the computer is essentially the same device, the configuration has changed. Upon installation, a new ID is generated, as the old configuration is gone - because there is new hardware in the device, TeamViewer creates a new ID based on this configuration.

When such a change occurs, it is not possible to revert or re-use the former ID.

You mentioned install licenses and transfers - I assume therefore you are on a Business license. The 10 license transfers that come with the Business License are created specifically for such situations, such as getting a new computer or having major hardware repairs done on it.

Please note, however, as the Business License is not a floating license, it is not meant to be moved constantly around devices; this is why a limited number of moves come with the license - to alter the license to accommodate unexpected life changes, such as what you have experienced.

As mentioned in our Business license activation article, should you run out of these moves you can contact our support teams to request a courtesy reset

I hope this helps clarify!

If you have any other questions, feel free to reply back.

Have a great end of your week! 🌴

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---