UPDATE Teamviewer to latest version WITHOUT admin rights

Options

Hiya, windows defender is constantly bugging me to update Teamviewer on all our clients.

The same thing occurs for zoom.

But Teamviewer prompts for admin password when updating. ( none of our users are local admin )

so how do we update the Teamviewer client as non admin ? I read elsewhere that you can use the Teamviewer console but we don't have or want Teamviewer running as a startup service on clients.

zoom had a similar issue until a recent update allowed auto upgrading without any interaction from the user at all, or an interactive update that does not require local admin rights.

Is there a way to do the same with Teamviewer ?

You do realise that in todays world most corporate client users are non admin for security while also needing their software to be at the latest version.. All updates like this should be doable as non admin. Upgrading is different to installing. we want the user restricted from installing any software without admin rights but to be able to update currently installed software.

any help please

Answers

• SecurityGuy
    SecurityGuy Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I am a free user *(free license) and I need the same. I use TeamViewer to help my parents -in their 80s- with their PC.

I bought them a fully supported DELL, so for HW they are covered by pickup and return warranty, then for SW I do the job, when needed : e.g. Windows Updates, AV etc.

For this reason my parents accounts are not Admin accounts, so they cannot be tricked by malware to install dangerous things / infect the PC.

Now it is several months I cannot connect to help them, as TV update requires Admin rights, so I am stuck at the Authenticating step forever…

So after 2 years I found this post and wanted to let TV people know that UPDATE without admin this would be useful for ALL.

• SecurityGuy
    SecurityGuy Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Ah and beside, TV also told me that it has detected Commercial Use, which is a non-sense as I use TV only to connect to 1 single PC (my parents) and for few times a year. Also that would need some fix, I believe.