Update now to the most recent TeamViewer Remote version 15.55. See the Changelogs here.

[Windows] v15.41.7

Options
JeanK
JeanK Posts: 7,016 Community Manager 🌍
edited April 2023 in TeamViewer Remote

Operating system: Windows

Version: 15.41.7

Release date: 2023-04-26

New features

• Try the all-new TeamViewer Remote!
  • Dive into a freshly designed interface.
  • Explore new and updated features.
  • Find everything you need with our universal Search Bar.
  • Connect in an instant with easy-to-use Session Links.
  • Switch with ease between the new and current interface.
  • Find it all now on desktop or in your browser.

Improvements

• The in-session toolbar has a new design which includes a side panel for chat, audio/video, and whiteboard functionality. This is only enabled when the new TeamViewer Remote UI is enabled.

Bugfixes

• Fixed a bug that prevented company devices from being loaded in the device list.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented switching the session window back from full screen to window mode.
  • Fixed a bug in the remote control window that could cause it to open in an incorrect size. This was due to the TeamViewer applications view settings no longer being applied.

Community Manager

Tagged:

Comments

• JPazur
    JPazur Posts: 1
    Options

New features

• Switch with ease between the new and current interface.

How to switch? Where is the switch? Tragedy.

• Drewskius
    Drewskius Posts: 1
    edited April 2023
    Options

This whole new UI is terrible disregarding the people who use it. Sure the technicians can figure it out however the thousands of users we support we already have a hard time getting them to launch the application. Now we have to guide them to dig down menus for us to get connected? What a **bleep**.

• wingers
    wingers Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Not sure why people are saying it requires end-user to create an account? it doesn't you can provide them a download link for quicksupport, they run it and enter the session code you provide and you can connect, simple as that, yes it is different way round than before, but it works and certainly doesn't need end-users to create an account....

Agreed it will get customers time to accept the change, and has took me some time to update all my email templates and documentation, but other than me sending them a link to my custom quick support module and asking them to send me ID and password to connect, all that has changed is now I send them a link to my custom quick support module and send them a session code to enter in a box and they click connect, simple really.

• BenTeamViewer
    BenTeamViewer Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

no audio chat possible

• wingers
    wingers Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

Click Communicate - Audio and Video - or click the phone icon on toolbar and you can start a video call whilst connect to user - not sure if that would allow you to just do audio instead of audio and video? not tried it myself

• Spanky_here6
    Spanky_here6 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

v15.41.7 forces user to use new interface that is unusable and there is no way out of it. There is an up date that currently is not downloadable from teamviewer dot com but just from the program it self - v15.41.8 because when clicking the download, what is downloaded is V15.41.7- but v15.41.8 version allows to switch from the so called new and improved interface. Its strange that no where is one able to download 15.41.8 even after days ago teamviewer was updated and on the webpage it says in some places 15.41.8 is the latest version.

• B123
    B123 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

There's a few uses cases where that simply doesn't work:

• Connecting to a PC with a fixed TeamViewer ID and password (not necessarily managed by the company that connects into it)
    • Session management (on the side of the person taking control of remote PC) doesn't seem to indicate anything about which remote PC it's related to, or which direction the connection is used (to/from which PCs)
    • The user in front of the PC that needs to be shared may not be able to access an e-mail or a download link. (Various reasons: in some corporate environments, some download links may not be allowed, some users may not even have an e-mail address at all, or at least not accessible from that PC)
    • The obvious classic case to connect to someone's PC: "can you help me, I can't access my e-mail?"

The new UI is objectively more complicated (at the very least because we now have to deal with the concept of "sessions" too).

There's a number of cases where the new system doesn't make much of a difference indeed, but there's also a number of existing use cases that have now become more complex.

It's not just a matter time to accept the change, unfortunately.

• Farplants_IT
    Farplants_IT Posts: 1
    edited May 2023
    Options

What a shame this interface is so terrible.

Had the first experience of it on Out Of Hours at the weekend (no announcement from TeamViewer they were fundamentally changing the way you connect to a user)

Call went like

• User: Hi - I cant connect to the VPN (so no emails)
    • Can you browse the internet? Can you open BBC news?
    • User: Oh yeah I can (good we have internet, I'll get them to open up TeamViewer and we will be over this soon)
    • Can you open TeamViewer (usual cant find it nonsense)
    • Can I have your user ID and password (wait hang-on where the heck do I put this in at my end)
    • User: I don't have a user ID or password on my screen

And then 20 minutes of creating a session, sending it to the email on their phone, explaining how to type that in on the PC because no I don't want them to connect via quick support. Not slick at all.

TeamViewer was the best, hands down. Simple, easy, reliable, universal. Their attitude to cancellation of service is rubbish and was already thinking of leaving for **Third Party Product**. This update has sealed the deal, may not even wait till the end of the current contract.

Shame.

• JeanK
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback - I'll try to answer all your questions chronologically.

@JPazur @Spanky_here6 You can switch to the old interface by the following:

1. Open TeamViewer Remote or go to web.teamviewer.com.
    2. Sign in with your TeamViewer account.
    3. Go to the Settings (⚙) on the top left corner of the interface.
    4. Go to the Device's settings.
    5. In the General tab, untick the Use new TeamViewer interface.
    6. Click Restart.

TeamViewer Remote will restart with the old interface.

@sipher End-users do not require an account. End-users can join the session by clicking on Join session in the main interface when they open TeamViewer Remote (please see screenshot below). Alternatively, you can also send them a session link so they can join the session via QuickSupport, as @wingers said.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Jito463
    Jito463 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Is there a registry key we can set to default the better, classic interface? I don't have a paid license, but we do at my job, and this change is causing us severe issues.

I did find a short term workaround, but a reg key setting would make things much simpler.

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @Jito463,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with a reg key setting. The abovementioned way is the only supported way to switch to the old interface.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• Jito463
    Options

Just to clarify, you cannot or will not? This seems a fairly reasonable request, and it's by no means an impossible task.

• Jito463
    Options

You know what the great thing is about having multiple machines to test with? Figuring things out myself.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\TeamViewer

Change DWORD value 'UIVersion' from 4 to 1.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation to ours.

• sipher
    sipher Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

JeanK, according to your advice, the user can:

1. Go to the Settings (⚙) on the top left corner of the interface.
    2. Go to the Device's settings.
    3. In the General tab, untick the Use new TeamViewer interface.
    4. Click Restart.

But in the photo you shared, there is no Settings (⚙) option to click.

How can users of the device shift to see their ID from the "new" splash screen? (No Settings (⚙) in this screenshot.)

Are you stating that if a user clicks "Join a session" it will show the ID?

Thanks for clarifying that users will NOT need to create a new account. However, I still don't fully understand why this new splash screen is necessary. We'd select to remain with the ID and PIN "front and center" for the user to share.

• Mmtop33
    Mmtop33 Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

This change is unbelievable to me. Its already causing me to lose time supporting this application rather than what I'm paid to support. I'm surprised there aren't more complaints in this thread.

I have been with Teamviewer for over 10 years now. I've loved it until now. I will wait until the end of my contract in the hopes that enough of their clients will revolt and convince them to put the ID info on the main screen. Otherwise I'll be switching to a competitor, and probably saving money to boot!

What a **bleep** shame, Teamviewer. 👎️

• xoy74
    xoy74 Posts: 1
    Options

For anyone struggling with the new interface, change this registry key and restart Team Viewer to go back to the old interface

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TeamViewer]

"UIVersion"=dword:00000004

Values:

00000004 - new version

00000002 - old version

• Pdxpaul
    Pdxpaul Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

@JeanK This is infuriating, as far as I can tell there is no settings cog/wheel/gear on the splash screen in the new UI to get to the settings menu. Likewise there is not one in your screenshot, and not on the handful of clients I have had to deal with in the last couple of days. Only option seems to be the registry setting that some commentors have very helpfully posted.

Another really annoying thing with the new UI is that if you open it by double-clicking on the desktop icon, then realize you don't want it & go to close it, it immediately goes to the "close all connections" dialog rather than just minimizing itself and notifying the user that it is still running in the background. That is an unwelcome change that is sure to catch a lot of people off-guard and end up closing some connections that will be hard to get back. Also confusing is that it now does not show up in the system tray area, so that is another place that we are used to directing people to find out if it is running, get their client ID etc. that is no longer available.

Rollout fail, sorry

• JeanK
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @sipher and @Pdxpaul ,

I am sorry to cause this confusion.

The screenshot I shared is only relevant for participants joining a session.

To access the settings, you must first sign in with your TeamViewer account.

I edited my initial post accordingly and added the info about signing in and a screenshot showing where the settings button is.

Here again, for your reference, to revert to the old interface:

1. Open TeamViewer Remote.
    2. Sign in with your TeamViewer account.
    3. Go to the Settings (⚙) on the bottom left corner of the interface.
    4. Go to the Device's settings.
    5. In the General tab, untick the Use new TeamViewer interface.
    6. Click Restart.

I hope this could help.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Pdxpaul About the second thing you mentioned, you can fix this by enabling the Close to tray option in the Advanced settings. To do so:

1. Open TeamViewer Remote.
    2. Sign in to your TeamViewer account.
    3. Go to Settings (⚙).
    4. Go to the Device's settings.
    5. Go to the Advanced settings tab and click on Open advanced settings.
    6. In the General tab, tick Close to tray and confirm with OK.

Now, when you close TeamViewer Remote, it should only close the windows and run in the background.

Let me know if this fixed it!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @HOMECALL_PC and @Drewskius@Drewskius,

Thank you for your message. 🙌

Guiding through clients and providing remote support is still possible, and it's even easier now. The process just changed a little.

We explain how to provide remote support (attended, so when there is someone on the remote side) here:

📄 Create and join a remote session (attended access)

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @B123,

Let me answer to all the points you mentioned.

Connecting to a PC with a fixed TeamViewer ID and password

This is correct - connecting with an ID and a password is (still possible) no longer recommended by the new interface.

Based on what you said, you want to connect If you want to connect with "a fixed password".

This sounds to me like you want to connect to a remote device anytime without having someone on the remote side.

Therefore, it's unattended access you are looking for. Unattended access is still possible - we explain in detail how to proceed to set up unattended access in our article here:

📄 Connect to a remote device (unattended access)

Session management

Let's talk about the export (person giving support) and the participant (person receiving support).

The expert will always see the toolbar appearing when connected to a remote device/participant, like in the screenshot below:

The participant does not see this toolbar.

This way, you can always know in which direction the connection is used.

The participant has no access to an e-mail or a download link

In this use case, the participant can join the session via session code. Let's say you have the participant on the phone, and want you, as an expert, want to connect to them:

1. You create a session, as explained here: Step 1: The expert creates and shares the remote session, and you communicate to them the session code you just created via phone.
    2. The participant opens TeamViewer Remote, clicks on Join a session, and enters the session code you provided them with, as explained in Step 2: If the participant has TeamViewer Remote installed
    3. Once this is done, you can start the session, as explained here: Step 3: The expert starts the remote session

The obvious classic case to connect to someone's PC

As previously mentioned, the obvious case you describe here is explained here:

Please check this out and let me know if it worked out or you have any issues. I'm here to help!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @Farplants_IT,

Thank you for your feedback. 🙌

I'm sorry your first remote support session didn't go well after the update. But let me reassure you - everything you could you with the old interface, you can do with the new one, and it's even easier. It just takes a little time "to get used to the new system".

What you describe is the typical attended access scenario.

We explained the best practice in a step-by-step article on how to provide attended remote support here:

Please give it a try and let me know if there is anything I can help you further!

/JeanK

Community Manager

• B123
    B123 Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @JeanK,

Thank you for your answer. Here is a reply, point by point, based on actual use cases.

Connecting to a PC with a fixed TeamViewer ID and password

Connecting to a TeamViewer ID is the primary use-case and should really stay as the first thing the user sees. This is not just about fixed passwords and unattended access.

If you want to split TeamViewer into a Host and a Viewer, that's fine, but keep the TeamViewer ID of the host and the ephemeral password visible as the first thing that shows up.

• Often, users can be handling multiple PCs. The fact they give me their TeamViewer ID at least tells me which one they're talking about (cases of using the wrong PC actually happen).
    • I do pay for a TeamViewer licence, but I can't necessarily use "Manage this device" into my account, because the host device isn't mine. I'm given permission to connect by the PC owner (either via ephemeral or fixed password), but not to take possession of it as one of my managed devices. (Maybe they also want to let other users connect to it too.)
    • There are many cases where users will just give you their ID/password and leave the room (lunch/going home/...). They'll give you permission to install/fix whatever they need, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll allow you to set up a "fixed password". This is actually quite frequent. I can't necessarily require or wait for them to type the session ID using the new recommended way.

In real use cases, the process of people exchanging TeamViewer ID and password, and the connection itself can be quite asynchronous (the person in front of the PC might not be able to type anything straight away, if at all).

Call this "semi-attended" access if you wish, but that's a frequent case many of us have to deal with (I've seen similar use cases in other comments).

Session Management

What you refer to is not what I meant. See screenshot in this post: https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/129541/new-ui-is-too-complex

I had created 3 sessions, 1 cancelled after closing the "Connect with ID" dialog without entering anything, the others with different TeamViewer IDs, but I can then see 3 sessions without having any idea which remote TeamViewer IDs they were for.

This is particularly a problem when I need to have multiple sessions, with completely different users, opened at the same time. Sure, you can edit the session name, but it's often too late. (Again, they may not enter the session ID immediately: the new model forces more synchronisation between participants.)

The old way (using the remote PC TeamViewer ID) is much simpler and effective.

The participant has no access to an e-mail or a download link / The obvious classic case to connect to someone's PC

See previous comments. They'll often just not wait around to type the new session ID, or won't be able to (and hopefully won't enter it into the wrong PC).

You seem to think it's just a matter of explaining the new way, but that's not the case.

The fundamental problem with this new version is that you've completely changed the workflow between participants. This requires more round trips, more synchronisation between participants and more steps in general. It's objectively more complex. Requiring more effort from the person in front of the controlled PC (even if you think it's not much) is generally a problem too.

Please make sure future updates keep the TeamViewer ID and password as the main information displayed at first on the host. Simplicity was the whole point of using TeamViewer.

• Timothe
    Timothe Posts: 1
    Options

How can I send a message to a device with the new Teamviewer?

• Pdxpaul
    Pdxpaul Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

@JeanK So let me get this straight, to have access to the program's settings, including reverting to the classic interface, you have to have (or create) and account & log in to it? So every PC that we set this up on, we will have to go through logging in to our account - which of course means adding it to our trusted devices with all the back & forth emails, MFA etc - even if that person will never need access/maybe shouldn't have access to that account, or if we aren't being asked to add it to our account, or if it is a one-time assist. Or what if we have several hundred of them to roll out. . . Even for a free home user, just to change their settings - say to use the classic interface, or set a permanent password so their more tech-savvy teenager can help them out - they will have to create an account?? Or the support professional, without yet being able to get access to their PC, will need to get it logged in to their account so they can get the Client ID from the user?

Thanks goodness we have quickly found the registry setting for the UI, I will be implementing that via Group Policy at my support client locations.

And why hide the self-minimizing option many levels down in the advanced settings (which, remember, we can't get to without creating & signing in to an account. . ) Why change its default behavior at all? Great, make this a new option for those who want it - but why make it the new default, with the added pitfall of throwing up a choice with a 50/50 chance of closing the connection when the user does the obvious and closes that window, expecting from previous behavior that it will stay running in the system tray?

That is all so incredibly much less convenient than it has ever been before.

Also, why would you put what is essentially an ad for the product we already own and are currently using on the splash screen? That is going to age about as well as Clippy the MS Office Assistant. . .

• Spanky_here6
    Spanky_here6 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    1. Open TeamViewer Remote or go to web.teamviewer.com.
    2. Sign in with your TeamViewer account.
    3. Go to the Settings (⚙) on the top left corner of the interface.
    4. Go to the Device's settings.
    5. In the General tab, untick the Use new TeamViewer interface.
    6. Click Restart. ------ None of this works. There is no Settings (⚙)  at the top left. your own picture shows that. And there is no devices settings nor a gen tab to untik use new teamviwer interface

• ChrisBedford
    ChrisBedford Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, fine if you only do "quick support" but I need to set up permanent passwords and access PCs at random without interacting with the user every frigging time. That gets old very fast. I have sometihng over 400 remote users and getting a new password from them every time is a HUGE waste of time.

So to set a permanent password REQUIRES LOGGING IN TO A TEAMVIEWER ACCOUNT. And since you obviously can't log all your users in on your account, you then have to create a unique account for each user. Which is tedious at best.

• ChrisBedford
    ChrisBedford Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

What a pity this forum won't allow editing of the quoted text. Sorry everyone, I didn't need to put the entire text in but did want to thank and congratulate B123 on a thorough and thoughtful post that said most of what I wanted to but was too frustrated (yes, and angry) to compile into a single document.

I might add that having a window (as support person or end user) occupy just about the entire screen is also an indulgent waste of space. Who the **bleep** signed off on this? Not everyone has multiple monitors.

Also one other thing that I find intensely annoying is that screen sizes are not consistent. Instead of remembering the size and scaling of a particular remote computer's screen, it seems to remember only the last screen and use that setting for your next session, irrespective of the actual screen layout. So I get black bands on the sides of 4:3 screens, unreadably small text on a 1920x1080 27", and other wastes of time. Irritating. Years ago the same screen always came up the same size & layout - why change it?

Indeed, why change all the settings that were working. Has TViewer decided to folow Microsoft's philosophy of change for its own sake? It's not important to be making improvements, it's important to be seen to be making improvements? Where the word improvement is heavy air-quoted and sniggered at behind your hand.

No, TeamViewer GMBH, this is a sorry **bleep** of a change and I'm jumping ship to **Third Party Product** who still embrace simplicity over all this **bleep** you have encumbered us with.